X230, GTX 750, V8.5c, Linux somehow doesn't work

Notifications
Clear all

X230, GTX 750, V8.5c, Linux somehow doesn't work  

RSS

Tho Axm
(@tho_axm)

Arriving here after a month of on and off researching. =)

As the title says, hardware in use is

• lenovo thinkpad X230
  • Intel Core i5-3320M (2.60 GHz, 3MB Cache, intel HD4000 graphics)
  • two times 4GB RAM, different vendors (but I'm not seeing any errors)
  • NVIDIA GTX 750, it doesn't have a power input so I don't have anything connected to the "power in" or "power out" of the BEAST
  • EXP GDC BEAST V8.5c, Expresscard version
  • Power adapter is center positive, 12V DC, 600mA

Software in use is

• BIOS: 1vyrain 2.77, booting via UEFI(GPT) (link is the issue I've raised there)
  • kernel: linux 4.15.0-117-generic, no parameters
  • Driver is nouveau, but will install propietary nvidia driver when the setup works

Settings on the BEAST

• ATX off
  • PTD off (might add that I don't know what either of that means)

Errors I'm experiencing:

• when having the GPU connected before boot the fan spins but neither the GPU nor the onboard audio device show up in an lspci
  • when inserting the expresscard when I'm already logged in (or when shortly removing it and attaching it again) the device shows up but I get dmesg messages saying that there is no space for certain address ranges needed for the GPU (relevant dmesg entries) consequently an lspci -v tells me that memory regions for the GPU are "unassigned"
  • The same happens in a live usb boot with lubuntu 20.04 and Pop!_OS 20.04 (nvidia alternative)

what I've tried

• switching MBR/BIOS to GPT/UEFI
  • switching kernel to 5.3.0
  • live USB boot
  • BIOS update
  • BIOS jailbreak (1vyrain) and setting "above 4G decoding" (named "memory remap" in this BIOS)
  • didn't find setting of TOLUD in the BIOS, wanted to decrease that (to eg 2.75GB)
  • couldn't install nvidia driver
  • kernel parameter pci=nocrs

I'm more or less completely in the dark here. Nothing appears to be wrong and I hear quite a lot of people saying that it should work effortlessly but it clearly doesn't. That was the first thing an 1vyrain dev said as I asked. It's also a certain bit over my pay grade. The last few shots in the dark I have:

• BIOS might be "malfunctioning"
  • a (second) power input to the BEAST would be required, even though there isn't any power input to the GPU chip
  • different distro, probably will not do anything as live boot doesn't work
  • BEAST simply not compatible with my mainboard despite some guides being able to make it work

linux lubuntu 18.04, GTX 750, BEAST V8.5c

ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
nu_ninja
(@nu_ninja)
Reputable Member

You say that the power adapter you are using is only 600mA? That's not enough for any GPU. You should be using something that provides at least 75W (12V, 6.25A)

Mid-2012 13" Macbook Pro (MacBookPro9,2) TB1 -> RX 460/560 (AKiTiO Node/Thunder2)
+ macOS 10.15+Win10 + Linux Mint 19.1

2012 13" MacBook Pro [3rd,2C,M] + RX 460 @ 10Gbps-TB1 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + macOS 10.14.4 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Tho Axm
(@tho_axm)

@nu_ninja, that's just the one I happened to have lying around. I didn't right away want to buy a new one and would have switched it for a fitting one after confirming that the setup worked. I don't think the amperage of the power supply explains the error I'm seeing, but if you do, I'd welcome to hear it. I'm not at all sure what is going on.

Bought a new one anyways

ReplyQuote
nu_ninja
(@nu_ninja)
Reputable Member

I've seen somewhat similar errors when limiting my egpu to very low power. Hopefully that solves it.

Mid-2012 13" Macbook Pro (MacBookPro9,2) TB1 -> RX 460/560 (AKiTiO Node/Thunder2)
+ macOS 10.15+Win10 + Linux Mint 19.1

2012 13" MacBook Pro [3rd,2C,M] + RX 460 @ 10Gbps-TB1 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + macOS 10.14.4 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Tho Axm
(@tho_axm)

I hope so too!

To be more specific: I meant the failed memory assignments visible in the dmesg entries. Did you see these errors? I mean, It's less than 10% of the required power, it's not unreasonable that anything could go bad.

The BEAST has an 8pin interface labeled "power input" and a 6pin "power output". Many eGPU guides connect some weird power supply to these, but I don't connect anything to them. Do I need to change that too? I thought that it wouldn't be neccessary since the GPU itself doesn't have a separate power input.

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

A graphics card with no PCIe power input does not run on zero power. Power comes from the PCIe slot. The PCIe slot is powered by the BEAST.

A PCIe slot should be able to provide 25 watts.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express

A PCIe card can request 75W from an x16 slot but we're only using x4 or x1 with these external adapters/risers/thunderbolt enclosures.

TechPowerUp says the TDP for the card is 55W so maybe it doesn't work in a slot that only has 25W. Does the BEAST actually advertise itself as having a 75W capable PCIe slot? Check output of

sudo lspci -vvvnn | sed -nE '/^[0-9a-f]/p;/[0-9.]*[1-9][0-9.]* *W/p'

This is why it is recommended to use a GPU that has PCIe power inputs. Such GPUs will not ask for 75W from a PCIe slot and probably don't even require 25W from a PCIe slot.
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-gtx-750.c1986

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
Tho Axm
(@tho_axm)

I don't think I've been able to access the information about the BEAST that @joevt suggested. Here is the result of

lspci -vvvnn | sed -nE '/^[0-9a-f]/p;/[0-9.]*[1-9][0-9.]* *W/p'

as suggested, I don't fully understand what it does though. The only thing that seems relevant is SlotPowerLimit 10.000W about the NVIDIA audio device, but I don't know if that really tells anything about the BEAST, and I don't know if it that info stays the same once the BEAST is powered by 75W (and not 7.2W).

As the only devices that are added when I plug in the Expresscard are 04:00.0 and 04:00.1, I thought the relevant Information could lie somewhere in the output of

lspci -vvvxxx -s 04:

I don't see any output that seems to indicate anything about the BEAST though. Would it be expected to have the BEAST show up as a device in an lspci? The output of lspci doesn't change if I plug in the BEAST without the GPU plugged into it.

ReplyQuote
Tho Axm
(@tho_axm)

75W power supply compatible with the BEAST just arrived and the pastebins I've shared are still all valid representations of what is going on.

ReplyQuote