Setup & Software Discussions
Xiaomi Mi Notebook Pro + 1060 6gb on M.2 Gen3 x4 WORKING !

Xiaomi Mi Notebook Pro + 1060 6gb on M.2 Gen3 x4 WORKING !  

RSS

defvs
(@defvs)

Hey everyone (first post here hehe)
I recently went the DIY way with eGPU.
I bought a Mi Notebook Pro, the i5-8250U model, with an MX150 onboard. Great laptop, plenty power, plenty battery life (10+ hours 😮 )
I've seen no one do an eGPU setup on it. Well, I guess I'm the first now !

After opening the laptop, two M.2 slots are exposed. One is x2 and one is x4. Both are Gen3. The SSD occupies the x4, just moved it out of the way to the x2 slot.
Bought the EXP GDC Beast v9.0B, M.2 x4 version, which I DO NOT RECOMMEND due to signaling issues, which are made even worse with Gen3.
After plugging everything, I had some issues with the common Error43. Got it fixed by the script pretty easily.

The graphics card is working as intended, but, due to the said signaling issues, might encounter BSoD when on really heavy non-synthetic loads. Don't cram every settings up for now.
The laptop has Optimus, so you might as well use the internal display (Gen3 x4 is really fast, I don't think you will get a lot of bottlenecking and perf drawbacks)
I use it with an external 1080P monitor. Works great ! Except for the crashes.

What I recommend, as everyone in this forum, is NOT BUYING THE LATEST BEAST which has really badly shielded cables, and them being really long, but I recommend buying the M.2 x4 ADT-Link R43SL eGPU adapter.

I will soon make a complete how-to with pictures when I will recieve the ADT-Link adapter (I will be getting a refund on the Beast), and how to make the laptop portable by cutting the aluminum back-plate.

Laptop : Mi Notebook Pro, i5-8250u undervolted + TDP unlocked, 8G RAM 256G nvme, MX150-2...
eGPU : Asus STRIX 1060-6G running over ADT R43SL (15cm) M.2 with Gen3 x4

Greetings from France !

ReplyQuote
MiK_ele
(@mik_ele)

hi defvs do you have updates? I would like to ask you some questions.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Alanix
(@alanix)

I'm interested as well.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote