(Dell XPS 15 L502x ) / ThinkPad T530i / Dell e6320 / Gigabyte P34Gv2 + EXP GDC 8...

Notifications
Clear all

(Dell XPS 15 L502x ) / ThinkPad T530i / Dell e6320 / Gigabyte P34Gv2 + EXP GDC 8.4d + R9 270 and Beyond!  

of  6
  RSS

wimpzilla
(@wimpzilla)
Honorable Member

So final update.

-I did a clean install of win10, but not under UEFI, i forgot to force the UEFI boot even it was enable into the bios. Also i flashed back the previous A11 stock bios.

-I did again the DSDT override, it worked as before, found the large memory entry on device manager.

-The card is recognized ethier on boot with F8/F12, hotplugging it in sleep mode, plugging it when windows is running.

-It work on both mini pci-e, card get recognized but with the error12. Windows couldn't allocate the card.

-Now i'm faced i can't install back the GTX525, stuck with the error31 and the default windows driver.

-I tried the troubleshootings, like force pciexpress disable, uninstall the dGPU etc nothing.

So now i think the last resort is to load the DSDT override file with egpu and edit the pci-e root.

So my last question is, with egpu setup, can i mange to make it work using my screen laptop or i must use an external one?

2012 13-inch Dell Latitude E6320 + R9 [email protected] (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win10
E=Mc²

2012 15" Lenovo Thinkpad T530 [2nd,4C,Q] + R9 270X @ 4Gbps-mPCIe2 (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win10 [build link]  

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

@wimpzilla, the internal LCD can be accelerated by the eGPU using NVidia Optimus. However, an external LCD is recommended to give good performance over your narrow x1 2.0 link.

Can see an estimate of bandwidth overhead by the accelerated internal LCD at https://egpu.io/forums/pc-setup/how-much-bandwidth-ovehead-does-optimusx-connect-accelerated-internal-lcd-mode-add/

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 1803 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
wimpzilla
(@wimpzilla)
Honorable Member

Posted by: nando4

@wimpzilla, the internal LCD can be accelerated by the eGPU using NVidia Optimus. However, an external LCD is recommended to give good performance over your narrow x1 2.0 link.

Can see an estimate of bandwidth overhead by the accelerated internal LCD at https://egpu.io/forums/pc-setup/how-much-bandwidth-ovehead-does-optimusx-connect-accelerated-internal-lcd-mode-add/

Ok thx for the explanation. The only problem is i do not know if the L502x support Optimus, even if it is writted on the shematics titles.

The L502x have a FHD but i can lower the resolution, it is not a problem if i get at leat 30/60fps on last games in medium details.

My point with it, is to keep the built in LCD pannel, like i said, i would like to build a cheap decent platform to care when i travel.

I will try out egpu setup, will contact you later.

Thx again for the help.

EDIT II: Thx a lot nando, working on it. Smile

EDIT III: Still not working! But your tool is quite nice, it emulate nicely the options that should be managed by an unlocked normal bios for the gpu, pci-e control, etc. Smile

The tool work nicely, so i have done the compaction, disabling the dgpu, modified the dsdt file, loaded it, booted it, i saw the large memory and now the hardware is under a new pci-e root, meaning it worked fine and well. But nothing is still allocated into the large memory.

The r9 270 is still under error12, my main vga is a R9 290 under water in my desktop, i have only AMD card to test with lol . Smile

So i reset windows and reinstalled all the drivers, could it be an nvidia optimus issue? Because the only times i got error43 and a sound on plug was with the nvidia drivers on. So now i will test again nvidia drivers on, egpu could disable the dgpu and compact before boot, hoping the optimus thing let the egpu fully install and allocate into the memory.

The EXP GDC 9 get recognized on my L502x only on mini pci-e 1 aka WWAN. If i hotplug it via f8/f12/sleep on the pci-e 2 aka WLAN it do not get recognized into egpu setup, nor win10.

EDIT IV: It worked; i started again check each pci-e, with and without having the wifi card plugged on it on boot. I finally get the egpu recognized on the pci-e 2 WLAN hot plugging the wifi card like the other member did, without the wifi card the egpu is not read on pci-e 2 in my case. I noticed it trying to read the egpu dump, it would not read on pci-e 1 but read on pci-e 2 now lol.

Disabled dgpu, did compaction + dsdt and got the r290 recognized with the screen blink, will test further ingame it and post a full summarize post.

Thx Smile

E=Mc²

2012 15" Lenovo Thinkpad T530 [2nd,4C,Q] + R9 270X @ 4Gbps-mPCIe2 (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
wimpzilla
(@wimpzilla)
Honorable Member

UPDATE: The R9 270 is now fully recognized and installed, now i'm facing another problem, the card is stuck with 0mhz gpu/ram clock, no sensors/clocks reading, [email protected] Here the walk through to make it work:

XPS 15 [email protected] [email protected] mod (reinstalled the modded bios seems work with it even i didn't change much into, just forced gen2 and hotplug option on pci-e 1 in the bios)

1/ Do a clean install, install all the drivers. Perform a DSDT override as nando4 guide, compile a working DSDT-modified files trying both methods and try to load it manually or using eGPU setup.

2/ Install eGPU setup (If you got it) to get it on boot along win10.

3/ Alway boot with your WIFI card or any hardware plugged on the laptop mini pci-e. It work on both mini pci-e WLAN/WWAN as long you hotplug and replace the WIFI card on the slot by your eGPU.

4/ Boot into eGPU setup menu, press F5, TURN ON YOUR eGPU POWER, remove the WIFI card and replace it plugging your eGPU, check if recognized. If yes go in the video card tab, show state check if the bios of the egpu is read by the motherboard. If it is not read the card will be recognized under win10 BUT won't install and stay under error12. It seems that the motherboard need to have something plugged into the slot at the boot otherwise the motherboard will not fully offer a working mini pci-e. Power managment issues on pci-e? It astonish me because if you boot without an hardware on the pci-e, when you hotplug the eGPU it get detected by the system, not enough to get the full dumb of the bios and not being installed and allocated by the system... .. !

5/ If you created a DSDT file following the nando4 guide you should be able to load it with eGPU setup. Run a pci compaction excluding the dGPU, choose the 56.6Gb/36bit pci allocation like end point, when asked for source select eGPU, when asked what allocate select eGPU. Run the compaction, once done come back to the video card tab and disable the dGPU.

6/ Now run startup.bat, check if it is ok and your DSDT file is loaded, then chainload it and boot into windows. Now your eGPU should be fully installed at least without error12 after the driver installation. Do not forget to activate the TESTSIGNING mode otherwise it could not work, it should be on anyway if you have done the DSDT compilation.

7/ Try the command bcdedit -set pciexpress forcedisable, the last thing i need to try.

So on overall it worked but now i'm faced with the card stuck with 0mhz clock, so it could be a windows updates problem, i'm updating win because if i try to lunch valley it tell me that some .dll are missing.

I'm still missing something? Should i try an external monitor? What causes the 0Mhz clock, i tried with the gtx525 on to enable optimus, the laptop allocate the 3 vga but keep throwing nvdia driver errors. Uninstalling or disabling the gtx525 is the same, no errors, HD3000+R200 series up, good clock on the HD3000, detected default clock on R9 270, actual clock/sensors 0Mhz/0°. Even if in the bios i forced the Gen2 pci-e the card is still under @1.1 on gpu-z. I'm miss something again?

Is my DSDT good, i mean like i said i'm a crap on software side. I know it worked but my is the eGPU allocate in the large mem?

Some help plz. Smile

Untitled
Untitled

EDIT I: Just got my SSD, will reinstall everything carefully with win10 updates and then try again with this final setup install. But still would get some tips regarding the 0mhz clock. Smile

E=Mc²

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

I found the 0Mhz clocks relates to incorrect initialization whe hotplugging. Things to try being:

1. Permanently "ON" the PSU such that it's on when *carefully* hotplugging the mPCIe adapter into the L502x. This is described at https://egpu.io/forums/expresscard-mpcie-m-2-adapters/mpcieecngff-m2-resolving-detection-bootup-and-stability-problems/

2. Experiment with Setup 1.35's PCIe Ports->undo-whitelisting functionality to see if can avoid hotplugging altogether.

To answer your query, from your screenshots I see the DSDT override is working given the 'large memory' area but the eGPU itself isn't allocated to it. No matter, as long as there is no error 12 against the eGPU.

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 1803 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
wimpzilla
(@wimpzilla)
Honorable Member

So here the result on my main desktop screen, i finally decided to try with it, since i found no way to make it work on the built in LCD, the HD3000 always kick in no matter what!! 🙁

I found some other troubleshooting on pci-e hotplug, i was running with both mini pci-e, the WIFI card, the AMD [email protected]@2.0. I heard the R9 270 kick in with the sound only as soon i plug the DVI into the card, even with the screen powered off. The sensors and gpu/mem clocks appears magically into gpuz. 🙁

I'm really astonished about the result, i mean to play games in medium in 1080/720p is really good, on an external monitor. So with the 120go SSD, the eGPU, some mods and repaste, this 4/5 years laptop is fast as a new one lol, it work like a charm, all second hand parts bought for cheap. Smile

But still the problem stay, how i can now enable the R9 270 on the built in LCD, i need to buy the ghost DVI adapter? Because everything fit into a laptop bag, but an external screen. Smile

I will look further into the schematics and ME registers. I already found the register that can be used to switch the HM67 pci-e config and the hard mod for the pci-e cpu lane config. Still on the schematics it is wrote OPTIMUS, so maybe it work but not implemented with others card than the nvidia ones? Here i'm really stuck since i could get at least a working 5Gb/s and maybe further if the ME register work without bricking the laptop. Smile

Some feedback's are greatly welcome.

Untitled sad

E=Mc²

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

Congratulations on getting it all working. To answer your question, AMD accelerated internal LCD mode requires one of the following:

1. LucidLogix Virtu - now obsoleted software (not feasible unless are wanting to hack up a solution)
2. AMD X-Connect - requires a x4 link and a R9 series or better card (not feasible)
3. Use of a Ghost DVI adapter + management software as described at:

https://egpu.io/forums/pc-setup/guide-accelerated-internal-lcd-on-non-optimus-systems-enjoy/

ReplyQuote
wimpzilla
(@wimpzilla)
Honorable Member

Not so much to congratulate sir, you could specify me before when i asked about, that it would surely do not work, at least if you known it. Or if you could at least explain how OPTIMUS work that i could find a trick, if there is one?

I would had gladly skipped all the painful long hours of troubleshooting, to get it work on the built in LCD.

My project was aiming to use the built in LCD, so i will look further to solve this issue.

I feel lonely in this thread, thx anyway for your help and time. Your tool is really nice and work very well.

For who botther to mod the ME, if you are skilled enough to short pins on audio chip and edit the ME, here are reported the register that control the pci-e speeds.

Port Configuration (PC) — RO. This controls how the PCI bridges are organized invarious modes of operation for Ports 1–4. For the following mappings, if a port is not shown, it is considered a x1 port with no connection. These bits are set by the PCIEPCS1[1:0] soft strap.
11 = 1 x4, Port 1 (x4)
10 = 2 x2, Port 1 (x2), Port 3 (x2)
01 = 1x2 and 2x1s, Port 1 (x2), Port 3 (x1) and Port 4 (x1)
00 = 4 x1s, Port 1 (x1), Port 2 (x1), Port 3 (x1) and Port 4 (x1)

On my modded ME the regitser value is set to 00, so 4*1x ports, if i set a 2x/4x will the EXP GDC recognize it or it will simply continue to run with a 1x?

E=Mc²

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

wimpzilla, Optimus works automatically to accelerated your internal LCD if using an Intel HD3000+ or newer iGPU and GTS450 or newer video card. Optimus is NVidia technology and so cannot be used with your R9 270.  So there you'd need to replace the R9 270 with an NVidia card, avoiding GTX10xx series due to it's error 43 hotplug issue.

ReplyQuote
wimpzilla
(@wimpzilla)
Honorable Member

Posted by: nando4

Congratulations on getting it all working. To answer your question, AMD accelerated internal LCD mode requires one of the following:

1. LucidLogix Virtu - now obsoleted software (not feasible unless are wanting to hack up a solution)
2. AMD X-Connect - requires a x4 link and a R9 series or better card (not feasible)
3. Use of a Ghost DVI adapter + management software as described at:

https://egpu.io/forums/pc-setup/guide-accelerated-internal-lcd-on-non-optimus-systems-enjoy/

1/ What do you mean by hack up solution?
2/ Xconnect is only compatible with the R9 300 series and the R9 290, it seems, but i could give it a try. I could maybe get a x2 pci-e the x4 would be hard because of usb 3.0 on port3. Dunno if it would be enough to get it work.

3/I will look for, on aliexpress, one of these dummy connectors!

I will edit the 1st post with all the stuff i have done then close the thread as solved.

E=Mc²

ReplyQuote
 of  6