Help COVID-19 / 2019-NCOV Research through folding@home or BOINC
Following the release of COVID-19 Coronavirus Protease structure by the Worldwide Protein Data Bank Foundation, Folding@home and Rosetta@home are joining researchers to combat this new pathogen. While many of us can't be actively involved, our community has plenty of computing power to lend a hand. Through distributed computing, we can put our idling computers to work.
I currently have several computers (including eGPU setups) running Folding@home and Rosetta@home. Please visit this link to download Folding@home. Once the installation completes, your computer can start contributing anonymously. If you would like to join our eGPU.io community team, the team number is 235996. If you register for passkey with your Identity, the Points Per Day increase significantly. To download Rosetta@home, download the BOINC client at the following link. After the installation, you can choose Rosetta@home project under "Biology and Medicine" category in BOINC Manager.
March 12th Update: Folding@home provided an update with the project numbers and what they do. Also to note is that they are GPU optimized so using our eGPUs for these projects is an excellent match. It would be great to know how we can configure our systems to specifically work on them. Here's a quick summary:
- 11741: Coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19 causing virus) receptor binding domain in complex with human receptor ACE2. atoms: 165550, credit: 15396
- 11742: Coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19 causing virus) protease in complex with an inhibitor. atoms: 62227, credit: 9405
- 11743: Coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19 causing virus) protease – potential drug target. atoms: 62180, credit: 9405
- 11744: Coronavirus SARS-CoV (SARS causing virus) receptor binding domain trapped by a SARS-CoV S230 antibody. atoms: 109578, credit: 7608
- 11745: Coronavirus SARS-CoV (SARS causing virus) receptor binding domain mutated to the SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19 causing virus) trapped by a SARS-CoV S230 antibody. atoms: 110370, credit: 7685
- 11746: Coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19 causing virus) receptor binding domain in complex with human receptor ACE2 (alternative structure to 11741). atoms: 182699, credit: 16615
Thanks for bringing this up itsage, it is good work that eGPUs can do. I've been running Folding@Home on my egpu for a couple of months now. No issues with slowdowns or overheating as almost all the work is done by the gpu outside the laptop. Unfortunately there isn't a GPU macOS client, but windows bootcamp or Linux can be made to use the egpu.
@nu_ninja, That's great to hear your eGPU can run Folding@home without issues! Can you share the details on setting up for Linux?
My eGPU for it..
Configure -> Slots -> gpu -> Edit -> gpu-index "0"
You need to set "Full" or "Medium" Folding Power, otherwise the GPU will seems idle... @itsage it would be fine to register the ID for egpu.io team!
@jefniro, That's an excellent idea! Thank you for sharing the screen cap and I will see if we can create eGPU.io team and have more members join force!
Update: I created a team for our community. The team number is 235996.
@itsage, Thanks for sharing! Amazed at myself for not knowing about this already. Have enlisted my PC and Mac to blast away at both. Am using the team ID for Folding@home.
@mac_editor, Same here. Setting the eGPU to run full blast for Folding@home has little to no negative effect in terms of using the computer for other daily tasks. After all these years, we may have found the perfect application to justify eGPU existence!
Hello to all,
I run FoldingAtHome, it's work. But I will compute Covid tasks. How can I set Project 11737 (or similar to Covid) ?
I try set team number 235996 or 2359960, but allways start with different projects, actually: 14314. 14314 seems not be a Covid project.
Can somebody help me to set my FAH client to compute Covid projects ?
<!-- Folding Slot Configuration -->
<!-- Slot Control -->
<!-- User Information -->
<!-- Folding Slots -->
<slot id='0' type='CPU'/>