[GROUP BUY] AMD Radeon RX 5700 Nano

[GROUP BUY] AMD Radeon RX 5700 Nano  

RSS

itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

Before we all get too excited, this is more of a feeler than an agreed upon deal. I discussed with TUL about bringing the RX 5700 Nano to more markets than Japan. They said high production cost limits this GPU availability. The break-even quantity is around 1,000 units. My guesstimate on demand from both eGPU and SFF users are much lower than that number. A group buy of 100 units is more achievable imo. Another possibility is to bundle Navi ITX with the PowerColor mini eGFX. If you would be interested, please let me know and a price-point that you’d think is fair.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

ReplyQuote
Username
(@username)
Estimable Member

I'm in!

Present: 2012 Mac mini + PowerColor RX 56 Vega Nano @10Gbps-TB1 +
PowerColor eGFX Mini 180F via TB3->TB2 adapter + macOS Mojave

Previous: 2012 Mac Mini + [email protected] (AKiTiO Thunder3 via TB3->TB2 adapter) + macOS

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
nu_ninja
(@nu_ninja)
Reputable Member

I'm interested, I'm hopefully going to upgrade my laptop this year so this would go well with a newer machine. For price, obviously lower is better 🙂 but the max I'd go for is $390. That would make it 15% more expensive than the RTX 2060 itx cards selling for $340, but the RX 5700 is 10-15% faster on average so that would be a competitive value IMO.

Mid-2012 13" Macbook Pro (MacBookPro9,2) TB1 -> RX 460/560 (AKiTiO Node/Thunder2)
+ macOS 10.15+Win10 + Linux Mint 19.1

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

I think I’d be in. Need so see how my sffpc build goes. Could be worth posting this on sffpc Reddit too? Although I’d guess folks would be more flakey on there. 

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@eightarmedpet There’s definitely mutual interest between eGPU and SFF users. I would prefer to gauge our community interest first to see where we’re at in terms of quantity.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

ReplyQuote
erutan
(@erutan)

Is the choice of 5700 vs 5700xt due to the power draw, or have the initial overheating issues on the xt not been resolved? I've been looking to pair an auros gaming box 5700xt equivalent with a 2016 15" MBP, but maybe the plain 5700 is the best reasonable choice?

$400 would be the max for me.

update: it's currently US$443 on amazon.co.jp

This post was modified 1 week ago

late 2016 15" MBP (MacBookPro13,3), desire SFF 5700 0r 5600xt

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
nu_ninja
(@nu_ninja)
Reputable Member

@erutan

It's almost certainly the heat. These itx cards tend not to have a TDP of over 175W and the 5700 xt has a TDP of 225W or higher. As a consumer, you might be able to overclock it or flash an xt bios to get extra performance if you're willing to crank up the fans. Buildzoid did a very detailed breakdown of the PCB components (link below) and seemed to conclude that the VRM is quite good and could handle quite a bit more power so that's probably not the issue.

Mid-2012 13" Macbook Pro (MacBookPro9,2) TB1 -> RX 460/560 (AKiTiO Node/Thunder2)
+ macOS 10.15+Win10 + Linux Mint 19.1

erutan and itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Arzen
(@arzen)

I live in Japan so I had access to the RX 5700 that PowerColor release recently. I threw it into my 580 Gaming Box and it wouldn't work. PD keeps working but even the lights don't turn on with the 5700 GPU in there. 

Lights come on with no GPU installed so something about the 5700 is freaking out the Gaming Box

I'm not sure if there is a trick to it that I could do without soldering the graphics card... Any ideas?

Happy to test the card for everyone on once I get it working. Thanks!

MacBook Pro 16" - 2.3 i9, 16GB, 1TB, 5500 w/ 4GB; Gigabyte RX 580 Gaming Box

ReplyQuote
erutan
(@erutan)

@arzen has some unclosed tags or something going on there, copy and pasting the post to clean it up comes up with the following (bq seems broken, it covers the entire post regardless of what text is selected):

I live in Japan so I had access to the RX 5700 that PowerColor release recently. I threw it into my 580 Gaming Box and it wouldn't work. PD keeps working but even the lights don't turn on with the 5700 GPU in there. 

Lights come on with no GPU installed so something about the 5700 is freaking out the Gaming Box

I'm not sure if there is a trick to it that I could do without soldering the graphics card... Any ideas?

Happy to test the card for everyone on once I get it working. Thanks!

late 2016 15" MBP (MacBookPro13,3), desire SFF 5700 0r 5600xt

ReplyQuote