Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
【CONFIRMED】27' Apple Thunderbolt Display NOT working with Blackmagic egpu

【CONFIRMED】27' Apple Thunderbolt Display NOT working with Blackmagic egpu  

RSS

SheldonTung
(@sheldontung)

My Backmagic eGPU just arrived this morning. The reason I brought it was my display — 27' Apple Thunderbolt Display and I thought this eGPU claimed to work with LG 5K UltraFine would be able to boost this display through daisy chain.

31382E26 FFE1 4B9C A7CC 334A4C0C341E

The prior setup was quite normal:

2011 15' MacBook Pro with TB 1 —> TB3 to TB2 adapter —> Blackmagic eGPU —> TB3 to TB2 adapter —> 27 Apple Thunderbolt Display

and... it doesn’t work at all.

The system could recognize the gpu and the display after install Maceditor's Purge-Wrangler, but nothing was on the screen. After reboot, it got worse, the computer got extremely slow and laggy. (This condition somehow reminded me of the old days when on High Sierra a Nvidia dGPU MacBook Pro doesn’t work with a AMD eGPU)

So this is the setup I’m using:

2011 15' MacBook Pro with TB 1 —>TB1 cable of 27 Apple Thunderbolt Display —>
TB3 to TB2 adapter —> Blackmagic eGPU

It works fine. And the Geekbench 4.0 OPENCL score was around 110,000. That’s normal.

I haven't try it for video editing. Gaming was okay. Not as good as my node3 + RX580 8G, but for a 2011 MacBook Pro with a 650m 1G dGPU the improvement was huge.

However this is totally not what I expected. And with this amount of money I can just buy a Razer Core with a Vega 64 to build the same unperfected setup.

How ridiculous it is that Apple just give up on all the devices and equipments before 2016 under TB3 so easily and recklessly. I am still wondering why 27 Thunderbolt Display doesn’t work as a 2nd-place device in the daisy chain and gotta be connected directly to the computer.   @itsage @mac_editor

D11FF2AD DA98 4FEF 9EAF C743DC79E45D

This topic was modified 1 year ago

mid-2014 15" MacBook Pro GT750M + [email protected] (AKiTiO Node via TB3->TB2 adapter) + macOS
2012 13‘’ & 15‘’ non-retina Macbook Pro + [email protected] (AKiTiO Node via TB3 to TB adapter) + MacOS

ReplyQuote
amartinez1660
(@amartinez1660)

To clarify, does your Macbook Pro has a dGPU in it?
It was my understanding that a dGPU Macbook pro (I have Mid 2014 15" GT750M) and a Thunderbolt display was never going to work. But you did!

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote