1080 or 1060?  

MeadSauce
(@meadsauce)
January 20, 2018 10:50 am  

Hey guys, 

I’m new to this forum and I’ve tried a few searches with no luck. I’m currently running the HP Spectre 13 X360 (7th Gen I5) with the HP OMEN Accelerator. I’m using a Strix 1080 inside (from another build) and it runs well…ish… It might also be worth noting that I’m running a 2tb HDD from the SATA inside the enclore. I was wondering if anyone has an opinion on whether a 1060 (or 70) would be better suited for similar or better performance versus my 1080. I’m thinking the fact that it’s a power hungry card I’m facing performance hits.

Also as a side note, I’m well aware that my dual core i5 with 8gb of RAM is a massive contributing factor. In hindsight I should have saved more for the I7 16GB. That will be my next ultra portable. Thanks in advanced. While I’m not a noobiest noob to PC builds, I definitely am to the eGPU/Thunderbolt 3 game. 

ReplyQuote
4chip4
(@4chip4)
Estimable Member
January 20, 2018 3:17 pm  

As you noted, the bottleneck is really the dual-core i5 in there (I never felt 8GB holding me back, but that will depend on the apps/games you run). Bandwidth-wise, you’re OK (that spectre has x4 pciE lanes on TB), and the 1080 is still well within reach of the Omen’s PSU, so there should be no real power-related concerns either.

You’re probably taking a slightly bigger hit than you would on a 1060 or 1070 just by virtue of having it as an eGPU, but it’s far from saying it’s the same (certainly not worse) than having a 1060 or 1070 in there. A 1080 will outperform those by quite a margin, no doubt about that.

PS Extensive reliance on the enclosure HDD might also be a bottleneck – especially if that 2TB drive is not an SSD, in which case again, the GPU used makes little difference

2017 HP Spectre x360 15 i7-8550U GTX150 + GTX970@16Gbps-TB3 (HP Omen Accelerator) + Oculus Rift + Win10 [no guide]
HP Omen Accelerator Thunderbolt 3 enclosure legs stand removal walkthrough
Employed by HP, but my posts and opinions expressed on this forum are my own.

MeadSauce liked
ReplyQuote
MeadSauce
(@meadsauce)
January 21, 2018 2:26 am  

That’s exactly what I was after dude. Thank you so much. Definitely cleares that up for me. I might try use my 256gb SSD instead of the 2Tb HDD and see if the performance gains are worth noting. I’ll give it a go on my next day off work and let anyone know if they’re interested.

Might try sell my trusty i5 X360 and aim for the new 8th Gen i7 model. I love the X360 design. 

ReplyQuote
MeadSauce
(@meadsauce)
January 21, 2018 2:54 am  

Actually this brings up another question, and you seem to know your stuff 4chip  😀

Would you consider a game to run better, worse or similarly if installed in the egpu SSD vs installed on the PC internal SSD. I’m guessing it’d run better installed through the internal SSD because the data would only be sent through the TB3 connection once vs looping back from the enclosure, in turn hogging more bandwidth… 

ReplyQuote
4chip4
(@4chip4)
Estimable Member
January 21, 2018 12:14 pm  

It’s better on the internal SSD, though the difference to an external SSD is far smaller than in the case of a classic HDD. At first, I had a (rather small, older) SSD in there, which I swapped for a big fat storage unit. I didn’t do any benchmarks, but the game loads got very, very noticeably slower after the swap to a classic HDD.

One caveat regarding the upgrade, though – based on the reports on the forum, depending on your country, there might an incompatibility of the Accelerator with the very specific model of the Spectre you listed (8th gen 13″ x360). I see a fairly new, late December Thunderbolt driver update for that Spectre, but I have no idea if it solves/solved the issue experienced by some. Don’t want to dissuade from getting it, just make sure you don’t get rid of your old device before you can verify if it works with the new.

2017 HP Spectre x360 15 i7-8550U GTX150 + GTX970@16Gbps-TB3 (HP Omen Accelerator) + Oculus Rift + Win10 [no guide]
HP Omen Accelerator Thunderbolt 3 enclosure legs stand removal walkthrough
Employed by HP, but my posts and opinions expressed on this forum are my own.

MeadSauce liked
ReplyQuote
MeadSauce
(@meadsauce)
January 23, 2018 2:28 pm  

That’s great news man, I’ll definitely be trying the SSD in a couple days once my night shifts are over! It’s quiet simple really. I guess I was just hoping for the best with a larger 2tb HDD. It’s a little overkill though, as I only really play a select few games, so the additional 256gb will be plenty. 

I actually currently run off the 7th Gen i5 (I wish it was 8th Gen 😂😂). I’m pretty sure however  that Thunderbolt driver isn’t updated as far as December. So I’ll try that too and hope I get a little extra juice out. 

Again, I can’t thank you enough for your positive support 4chip4. I appreciate you putting aside my lack of knowledge and helping me out with this. Whether it helps me or not, it isn’t always easy to get such great support ✌️

Edited: 4 weeks  ago

ReplyQuote
Larry_Gilmore
(@larry_gilmore)
January 24, 2018 10:24 am  

What’s the price differences between 1080 vs 1060?

ReplyQuote
MeadSauce
(@meadsauce)
January 24, 2018 1:52 pm  

Larry, here in Australia it’s a rough 400-500 AUD difference… 

ReplyQuote
MeadSauce
(@meadsauce)
January 31, 2018 3:43 pm  

Hey guys, 

So I finally was able to follow 4chip4’s advice and a update the Thunderbolt 3 firmware and swap an HDD for an SSD. 

The results: HUGE. 

Okay maybe a slight exaggeration, but still some outstanding results. Game stuttering has pretty much come to a smooth gaming experience (when running off the eGPU enclosure SSD). Other general issues also seem to have become far less apparent. But I’ll write further about this as I go along. 

It maybe worth noting that after installing the TB3 firmware update and rebooting I recieve a “Failure to update” message once logged back in. Not sure why, so it may in fact not have updated, or perhaps only partially updated. The only difference now is that removing the thunderbolt cable while running (not running any programs) can occasionally trip a Windows 10 crash. But I rarely do this anyway, so I see it as a fair trade off haha.

Thanks again 4Chip4. You’re a champ. 

Anyone, please feel free to ask any more questions or throw in some additional advice.

4chip4 and theitsage liked
ReplyQuote

Working

Please Login or Register