1080TI EFI EGPU CARD FOR MAC PRO 6,1 @ U...

1080TI EFI EGPU CARD FOR MAC PRO 6,1 @ US$1,050.00  

Page 1 / 3

slhdsnet
(@slhdsnet)
Trusted Member

Dear eGPU Members,

Anyone here with some experience an/or recommendation in regards the 1080TI EFI EGPU CARD FOR MAC PRO 6,1 listed @ US$1,050.00 on the MacVidCards.com website ? http://www.macvidcards.com/store/p110/1080Ti_EFI_eGPU_card_for_Mac_Pro_6%2C1.html

Some questions I have:

1. Would there be a huge difference in performance compared to the RX 580 I am currently running ?
  2. Why is the asking price so steep for this GPU or am I missing something here ?
  3. Anyone in the community running this very card with a nMP 6,1 ?

1080TI EFI EGPU card for nMP 6,1

Thanking you in advance,
Stephane

Topic Tags
16 Replies
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

I have both cards, a Sapphire Nitro RX 580 and a EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 and yes, there is a big difference in performance (in Windows). On Windows it is about 2x. (Not on Mac though and important: the GTX1080Ti doesn't work on Mojave at all)

BUT: Think twice about if you want to buy this card from MacVidCards, because you can get it for half the price somewhere else. They may offer the card with a Mac Bootscreen, but do you really need it? Is it really worth $500 only the Bootscreen?

mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member

@oliverb it’s not just a boot screen. That card allows eGPU functionality on the 2013 Mac Pro in Bootcamp. There is currently no open source solution for the same.

2 Replies
slhdsnet
(@slhdsnet)

Trusted Member

@mac_editor  I like your comment, i.e. "it’s not just a boot screen. That card allows eGPU functionality on the 2013 Mac Pro in Bootcamp." and you actually just now confirmed what I believed was indeed the case but, was not 100% sure if this was actually true or not.  Still, this becomes an expensive proposition to be able to run Windows 10 in eGPU configuration within Bootcamp on my nMP 2013.  I need thinker a little more on this before I commit to buying.

Thanks again for your reply and very much appreciated.

Cheers,
Stephane

OliverB
(@oliverb)

Noble Member
Posted by: slhdsnet

@mac_editor  I like your comment, i.e. "it’s not just a boot screen. That card allows eGPU functionality on the 2013 Mac Pro in Bootcamp." and you actually just now confirmed what I believed was indeed the case but, was not 100% sure if this was actually true or not.  

I still don't get it how this should be necessary. Is this really confirmed?

There are lot of false facts out there that have to be myth busted. I remember e.g. that is was "common sense", that the GTX780Ti wasn't natively supported by MacOSX, which was just wrong. Or Claiming that Radeon VII was better than a GTX1080Ti in Unigine Valley, which is far from being true. Or people using anti-error-31-hacks on setups where it isn't a problem. Recently another user wrote as fact that the iGPU of his 13-inch MacBookPro must be switched off because of firmware, which doesn't make any sense... etc.. list goes os.

OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

@mac_editor, he will have trouble to run the GTX1080Ti in Mojave and he obviously uses Mojave (see his signature).

mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member

@oliverb I was addressing your comment of “worth 500$ only the bootscreen”. I never recommended the card to anyone in any comment.

1 Reply
slhdsnet
(@slhdsnet)

Trusted Member

@mac_editor  Your most insightful replies triggered in my mind to do some more research into this, which I did.  Based on many related discussions found on both eGPU.io and other forums, the outcome becomes quite simple, i.e. pass and wait for the new Mac Pro 2019 expected to become available sometime this year.  For now, my nMP 2013 is still chugging along quite nicely with the eGPU setup I run at this time.

As for the Mac Pro 2019, let's wait and see.  Time will tell !!

Page 1 / 3