13-inch MacBook Pro 2018 + Vega 64 + 4k LG monitor setup issues. Please help.

Notifications
Clear all

13-inch MacBook Pro 2018 + Vega 64 + 4k LG monitor setup issues. Please help.  

RSS

Adam Ash
(@adam_ash)

Hey guys, I am having some issues getting my set up working as smoothly as it should do. I have read through a tonne of posts here and done a lot of searching on Google, but I'm close to giving up. This is probably the last time I try get this working.

This is my setup

MacBook Pro : (13-inch, 2018) running macOS Catalina 10.15.7, 2.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7, 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3

eGPU : Razer Core X + Radeon RX Vega 64 8 GB.

Monitor : LG Ultra HD 4k IPS LED Monitor (27'' Diagonal) LG 27UD68P 

I have an official Apple TB3 cable from my MBP to the Razer Core. A DisplayPort cable from the eGPU to the monitor.

So far, I think all is well. Using the Activity Monitor I can see that the Vega 64 is in use, I can see the Vega shown on the 'About this mac' section and under displays I have the monitor as the primary with the Vega 64 shown there for the monitor. So it's definitely all working

The problem is when playing games. I get lots of stuttering and about 20FPS, which I probably shouldn't do with this setup, right? I don't know if it's a system setting, the resolution (running at 2560 x 1440) or the monitor settings (I don't really understand these and the presets don't make much difference). I've messed about with everything so much but nothing seems to allow me to smoothly run games on the monitor. The monitor has freesync, too. 

Is there anything simple I might have missed here? Any help gratefully received. 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member Moderator

@adam_ash, you defo shouldn't have stuttering, I have used a similar set up (slightly less powerful) and everything ran fine.

What specific games are you playing? and what OS?

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Adam Ash
(@adam_ash)

@eightarmedpet, thank you for the reply.

One specific game is a very simple and not too graphically intensive game, Football Manager 2020.

This is on macOS Catalina 10.15.7

Thank you.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Adam Ash
(@adam_ash)

@eightarmedpet, any further thoughts? Or anyone else for that matter?

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member Moderator

Just looking at your original post, all looks fine to me, but obviously isnt... 

If your monitor is 4K you sohuld set it to be 4K in system preferences, or "Default for Display".

Screenshot 2020 11 03 at 10.10.33

Next up when you launch a game set the resolution in game to 1440 or maybe even 1080 (I usually half my native res of 5K so its a straight 2:1 conversion).

I can't imagine that will do much, but its a good starting point.

You could actually even start with everything set to 4K as your set up should be able ot play non intensive games at 4K at lowish frame rates.

---

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Adam Ash
(@adam_ash)

@eightarmedpet, thanks for the reply.

When I select 'default for display' my mac chooses 1920x 1080 rather than 3840 × 2160, which doesn't seem right? Why would my mac assume the default is 1080 rather than 2160 for a 4k display?

Also, at 3840 × 2160 everything is tiny so I think using default for display is probably the better option, here?

My game also doesn't have the resolution to set it at, just 100%, 110% etc. 

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member Moderator

@adam_ash, does it actually say 1080 or does it just look like it? Because it may be macOS doing double scaling (so 2x1080 = retina).

Easyres is another option for clarity. 

---

ReplyQuote
Adam Ash
(@adam_ash)

@eightarmedpet, ah it's probably doing what you say as it says "looks like".

ReplyQuote