Notifications
Clear all

1660 Super Poor Performance  

of  2
  RSS

KinezzeR
(@kinezzer)

I have a 1660 super with the Razer Core X plugged into my 15 inch 2017 mbp with a 2m cable. Although I don't have an external monitor and I'm using my mac's internal monitor, I feel like the performance is worse than it should be. I'm getting 50% less performance or more compared to the 1660S' full performance and I didn't think that the difference would be that big. Ex. when I play COD warzone I get only around 45 fps on the lowest settings on 1080p (mostly when landing and on-ground because places like the dropship or the gulag work fine); compared to the 1660s on desktop, which gets an average of 130 fps. To make sure, I checked the host to device speed and it seemed fine at around 2200 MiB/s. Is the 1660 Super just a bad card for GPU enclosures, or is it because I don't have an external monitor? I was expecting a 20-30% performance drop but never thought it would be this bad. 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Prominent Member

@kinezzer

Start by running software that isn’t known to be completely broken (COD Warzone).

Check your score in 3DMark’s Time Spy benchmark and you’ll see that your card is fine. 

(Assuming you have Windows 10 Power and Processor Management and Nvidia Control Panel’s Power Management Mode set to Best Performance)

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 650) + macOS 11.1 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
KinezzeR
(@kinezzer)

@mini-i5, I tested using the Heaven Benchmark and I got around a score of 1500 average. This is 800-900 lower than the scores from: https://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/zotac_gtx_1660_super_twin_fan_review,8.html

Considering the bottleneck of the thunderbolt 3 + internal display, is this the performance that I should expect?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Prominent Member

@kinezzer

Nah, bro.

If you own the Zotak 1660 Super model you are referencing, this 2017 MacBook Air eGPU build scored the same (2348) in Heaven with a 1080p display attached.

And that’s with a dual-core, TB2 MacBook Air.

https://egpu.io/forums/builds/2017-13-macbook-air-5th2cu-nvidia-gtx-1660-super-16gbps-tb2tb3-razer-core-x-win10-steve_pan/

Try using the standard TB3 cable that was included with your Core X.

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 650) + macOS 11.1 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
KinezzeR
(@kinezzer)

@mini-i5, I'm guessing it's probably because I don't have an external monitor that's bottlenecking. I've tried the standard TB3 cable provided by Razer but the results are still the same. Btw I have the twin fan Gigabyte version of the GTX 1660 Super. I was wondering if I disabled my DGPU (Radeon Pro 560) would I get more bandwidth to my internal monitor?

This post was modified 8 months ago

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Prominent Member

@kinezzer

I would just try running another game (not COD Warzone) and see how your 1660 super plays.

ReplyQuote
KinezzeR
(@kinezzer)

@mini-i5, I've tried running other games such as apex legends, valorant, csgo, etc. and they perform terribly compared to what I thought. My benchmark score on Heaven Benchmark is about the same as a desktop GTX 970 but why is my GTX 1660 super egpu performing worse than the GTX 970 in most games?

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Prominent Member

@kinezzer

Do you have both Windows and Nvidia power management set to Best Performance? 

And what screen resolution are you running?

ReplyQuote
KinezzeR
(@kinezzer)

@mini-i5, I have Windows performance set to best performance, although I there are no options in Nvidia Control Panel since I do not have it plugged it into an external monitor. I am running 2880x1800 on the desktop which my Radeon Pro 560 controls and in-game I mostly run 1920x1200 or 1680x1050. Although Nvidia is not set to best performance, my GTX 1660 Super is always running at 100% when gaming.

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Prominent Member

@kinezzer

Well that's no good. Last thing I would try before returning the card is turning off Windows Game Mode. 

Very disappointing.

ReplyQuote
 of  2