1660 ti itx card in the Node Duo running boot camp!

Notifications
Clear all

1660 ti itx card in the Node Duo running boot camp!  

RSS

Josh Williams
(@josh_williams)

SETUP:

*2018 Mac Book Pro

*Node Duo

*EVGA 600w

Hi everyone it’s my first post here. I have had the node duo for a while now but Iv only just decided to run a GPU in the housing. Prior to this I have been running magewell capturecards.

so I installed the GPU today (1660 ti itx, Nvidia) it’s the gigabyte version. It needs 450w to power so I know I need more power to get the GPU working at full power. 

It draws power from the original mains PSU but it’s not enough.

I came to install the EVEGA 600w PSU today it has 2 x PCIE plugs on one of the cables. But one PCIE cable is a spur off the other with only 3” of cable to play with so I purchased an extension to run back out the enclosure to plug in to the rear of the enclosure once the main plug had been plugged in to the GPU. 

I turned it on and nothing happened at all. I checked to see if anything serious had gone wrong and it all still works with the original!!

Am I missing something with this set up.

I am seeing that some Nvidia cards don’t work and have issues with Mac Book Pros so if I have to send it back then I can.

thanks in advance any help would be amazing I really want to get this moving!

😃😃😃
This topic was modified 2 weeks ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

Is the 24 pin connector of the EVGA 600w PSU connected to anything? You need a switch or jumper connected to that to make the PSU work.
https://www.moddiy.com/products/Jump-Start-EPS%7B47%7DATX-24-Pin-Power-Supply-Jumper-On%7B47%7DOff-Switch-%28Red-Light%29.html
https://www.moddiy.com/products/Jump-Start-EPS%7B47%7DATX-24-Pin-Power-Supply-Jumper-On%7B47%7DOff-Switch-%28White%7B47%7DGrey%7B47%7DBlack%29.html
(I think a switch without an LED is best - I never got the LED ones to work - maybe they used the wrong voltage LED).

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
Josh Williams
(@josh_williams)

@joevt, fantastic stuff mate, just ordered one for tomorrow, I’m presuming having a switch isn’t a necessity. They off just the plug with a bridge cable attached. 

Hopefully this works.

thanks so much for your input!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

@josh_williams, some people just use a paperclip or something. I like the switch. I have the black one connected to a Corsair SF450.

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
Josh Williams
(@josh_williams)

@joevt, haha ye man, I used a bobbi pin last night and it worked straight away. The proper block is coming today. Cheers man, just saved me going round the houses. The 1660 ti ITX card works too, straight out the box. Getting 3x the power over the built in GPU and hitting 150fps on state of decay 2 overclocked to 7000mhz. It’s a little beast 🤣 thanks again man.

joevt liked
ReplyQuote