2015 MacBook Pro - eGPU Help Not Showing in GPU History

Notifications
Clear all

2015 MacBook Pro - eGPU Help Not Showing in GPU History  

RSS

Javier Guerrero
(@javier_guerrero)

Hello everyone, 

First a bit about my current setup and what I would like to achieve. Also thank you in advance to everyone that is able to help me with this issue.

I would like to have a 3 monitor set up using my laptop display and 2 portable displays. And having the Vega 56 add graphical support to my laptop. 

System: macOS Big Sur Version 11.2.3

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)

Processor 2.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 

Memory 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

eGPU set up: Razer Core X Chroma

MSI Radeon RX Vega 56 Graphics Card

Connection:  Apple OEM (Thunderbolt 3 USB-C to Thunderbolt 2 adapter)

Apple OEM (Thunderbolt 3 cable 0.5 m)

Monitors: Set up is for 3 monitors. 

MacBook Screen Display 

(2) Asus 15.6 MB16AC portable monitor USB-C power 

process completed: 

Download the purge-wrangler.sh , and ran the script

was able to installed and have the graphics card "Vega RX 56" be discovered by the MacBook. 

Ok so this is everything I have and now for the issues at hand. 

(1) Both of the ASUS monitors only power up via USB-C/USB-A

Is there a way to have the graphics card accelerate (power) the monitors by just using the display port? 

I bought USB-C (Thunderbolt) to Display cable. (this was not effective and they do not power on). I understand

that a VR cable can be used connecting the Asus to USB-A and then connecting it to the Graphics card but can it be done another way? 

(2) The graphics card is detected by the MacBook and is showing up in the toolbar as eGPU however when I go into my activity monitor and pull up the 

eGPU history no activity is being detected at all from the Vega 56

Did I miss a step on how to set up the eGPU using the purge-wrangler? I already uninstalled the script and

reinstalled it, and still, I'm having no activity showing on the history of the eGPU. 

This topic was modified 3 weeks ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Javier Guerrero
(@javier_guerrero)

@, I figured out my issue with the eGPU history not showing any activity. 

but I am still curious about this issue. 

(1) Both of the ASUS monitors only power up via USB-C/USB-A

Is there a way to have the graphics card accelerate (power) the monitors by just using the display port? 

I bought USB-C (Thunderbolt) to Display cable. (this was not effective and they do not power on). I understand that a VR cable can be used connecting the Asus to USB-A and then connecting it to the Graphics card but can it be done another way? 

Also side question, 

Has anyone had any issues with the Bluetooth connectivity after installing purge-wrangler? it seems I'm having trouble connectin my headphone and keyboard 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

@javier_guerrero, DisplayPort does not have power enough for a display. It barely has enough power for some adapters (like DisplayPort to HDMI but not DisplayPort to Dual Link DVI).

Therefore, you need a way to combine DisplayPort (from the GPU) and USB (from anything) to USB-C.

There are some solutions at
https://egpu.io/forums/gpu-monitor-peripherals/does-a-usb-c-monitor-support-displayport-input-over-a-usb-c-to-displayport-cable/paged/4/#post-79127

There also exists HDMI to USB-C adapters (plus USB 2.0) such as the CAC-1332 from Club-3d. SIIG has a similar model.

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote