Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
2018 MacBook Pro with Vega 20

2018 MacBook Pro with Vega 20  

RSS

corran9hal
(@corran9hal)

When exporting in Premiere Pro I noticed that it was not defaulting to the Vega 20 GPU and instead using the intel graphics. Is there a way to dictate to the 2018 MacBook Pro which gpu to use?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

intel graphics performs better in video encoding than amd.

Could you please make the following benchmark with your Vega20? This would be very important for me and very thankful.

https://egpu.io/forums/pro-applications/easy-video-encoding-benchmark-test-your-gpu-within-seconds/

Thanks!

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

ReplyQuote
corran9hal
(@corran9hal)

I'm not sure why you think the Intel chip performs better because when it comes to speed, the Vega 20 can blow that integrated chip out of the water.

When computers like the iMac Pro with the Vega 56 and Mac Pro with the AMD D700's do not have integrated graphics, its obviously works. I was hoping there was a terminal code out there than could change the way Adobe looks at the graphics card bus and default to the Vega 20 in this case... just like macOS can when an eGPU is plugged in.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator

@corran9hal Intel chips have dedicated video encoding/decoding hardware (QuickSync), and for a while now iMacs (normal ones) were quicker than Mac Pros due to the I-series CPUs having this, while Xeons not. Exception of course is for H265 and T2 systems where the latter handles the codec instead of Intel (making it even faster). So no, the Vega 20 likely won't blow Intel out of the water in this regard. Gaming and rendering, sure.

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.shset-eGPU.shautomate-eGPU EFI Installer
----
Troubleshooting eGPUs on macOS
Command Line Swiss Knife
eGPU Hardware Chart
Multiple Build Guides
----
Current: MacBook Pro RP560X + 480/R9 Fury/Vega 64 | GTX 780/1070
Previous: 2014 MacBook Pro 750M + 480/R9 Fury | GTX 780/980 Ti/1070

OliverB liked
ReplyQuote
corran9hal
(@corran9hal)

Are you saying the Intel UHD Graphics 630 chip is faster at exporting or rendering than the Vega 20?

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator

@corran9hal 2:55 

At encoding videos, yes. For anything else the Vega 20 is obviously far superior.

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.shset-eGPU.shautomate-eGPU EFI Installer
----
Troubleshooting eGPUs on macOS
Command Line Swiss Knife
eGPU Hardware Chart
Multiple Build Guides
----
Current: MacBook Pro RP560X + 480/R9 Fury/Vega 64 | GTX 780/1070
Previous: 2014 MacBook Pro 750M + 480/R9 Fury | GTX 780/980 Ti/1070

OliverB liked
ReplyQuote
corran9hal
(@corran9hal)

Sorry, but how do you enable quick sync or is that automatically done if you are using any formats that support it?

ReplyQuote
corran9hal
(@corran9hal)

Sorry, but how do you enable quick sync or is that automatically done if you are using any formats that support it?

ReplyQuote
corran9hal
(@corran9hal)

Yeah, I'm at a loss because it seems this quick sync feature only applies to PC which is helping on this MacBook Pro and I'm seeing much slower render times when it's using the Integrated graphics chip. I don't even know how he's getting his numbers because my root issue was Premiere Pro or Media Encoder would not use the Vega 20 when rendering or exporting... so how did he test it?

ReplyQuote
Ryan1
(@ryan1)

I was looking for that answer and advice for the last hour, thnx mate

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Posted by: corran9hal

I'm not sure why you think the Intel chip performs better because when it comes to speed, the Vega 20 can blow that integrated chip out of the water.

Because I know it. As @mac_editor says, in most regards the Vega 20 is surely superior, but not in all. And never ever underestimate the Intel integrated GPUs, there have been this scandal with the 15-inch MBp 2014 when Intel HD Graphics 5200 almost outperformed the dGPU Geforce GTX 750M.

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

ReplyQuote