Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
2019 15" MacBook Pro + Razer Core X (Vega 64 inside) : which MBP's Thunderbolt 3...

[Solved] 2019 15" MacBook Pro + Razer Core X (Vega 64 inside) : which MBP's Thunderbolt 3 port for best performances ?  

RSS

Nadstaky
(@nadstaky)

Hello,

First of all I'm new to eGpus...

Got a mid-2019 MacBook Pro (15", 2.3GHz Core I9, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, Radeon 560X). I've purchased a Razor Core X and a Vega 64 (Asus ROG RX) in order to play modern games under Windows 10 1903 (BootCamp).
I've followed guides fount here to make the eGpu work fine under Windows 10 :
- Use BootCamp to install Windows 10 1903 (I didn't install any updates, because if I do so after it's impossible to get the Vega 64 working).
- In Safe Mode, I've used DDU to uninstall the AMD driver, then I've installed the latest version available on bootcampdrivers.com.
-No tweaks needed, works right out of the box under Mojave 10.14.6 and Windows 10 (I always leave the eGpu On).
-I have an external Samsung PCI-Express SSD and a dock (3 USB 3 ports, Ethernet 1000... ) plugged in the 2 right side ports.
- I do not have (and do not want) an external display.

For now, I've connected the Thunderbolt 3 cable (the one that came with the Razor Core X) on the left side of my MBP.

Let's start benchmarking : Unigine Heaven with all options set to max. Here is my problem :

I've seen many YouTube videos where people with a 15" MBP, the same eGpu and Vega 64, can get average FPS up to 60-75 FPS (they set everything to max like me).
My average FPS is 40-55 (under Mojave and Win10).

My question is : what's going on with my gear ? Could you help me please optimize this ? Why a so low framerate ? Should I plug the eGpu on the right Thunderbolt 3 ports ?

I thank you vey much for your help.

Best,

Nad

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@nadstaky The internal display mode performance is always lower than external monitor. Also macOS performance is munch lower than Windows. The way you connect the eGPU on one side and other peripherals on the other side is optimal. What are the specific settings when you say max? 

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
Nadstaky
(@nadstaky)

@itsage Hello and thanks,
I know that I should get better FPS under Windows, but it's the same under Windows 10...

Here are Unigine Heaven settings :
- Quality : Ultra
- Tesselation : Extreme
- Stereo 3D : Disabled
-  AA : x8
- Full screen
- Resolution : highest to 1920x1200, same average FPS.

If you have any idea.... please let me know 🙂 

Nad

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@nadstaky Did you go into Windows Graphics settings to set the RX Vega 64 eGPU as the primary card to run in internal display mode? Otherwise the system would automatically run everything through the Radeon Pro dGPU. Also most people set the resolution for FHD at 1920 x 1080.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
Nadstaky
(@nadstaky)

@itsage Thanks,
Yes I did set Unigine Heaven to High Performance in Preferences/Graphics Settings (just like your screenshot 🙂 )

I really wonder what's going on.

SOLVED, I thank you very much !

I didn't pay attention to the resolution under Windows 10, it was set to "System".
Now, 1920x1080 or 1920x1200 lets me get the same results as I have seen on YouTube 🙂

Thanks again,

Nad

This post was modified 4 weeks ago

itsage liked
ReplyQuote