5700 XT Pulse Takes a Nosedive After Running Full Load

Notifications
Clear all

5700 XT Pulse Takes a Nosedive After Running Full Load  

RSS

Scott Kallen
(@scott_kallen)

I'm running a 2020 (2018+ really) Mac Mini, using a Sonnet 550 with a Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse.  My intent was is to use it in Bootcamp at some point, but I've been encountering this weirdness since install.

First, I haven't even started setting up Bootcamp.  I wanted to get this thing working flawlessly in MacOS before fiddling with it.  The problem is this:  When running a Steam game that has high demand (full utilization) on the GPU, it works for a while at full speed and is awesome.  I'm watching the GPU history in Activity Monitor.  After a bit of running flawlessly, the utilization suddenly drops to almost 0%.  If I keep going (FPS game, for example), after about 10-15 seconds, the utilization slowly creeps back up and the game returns to normal.  Even when I tone down the settings and it doesn't quite hit peak, this happens.

Is this a heat issue?  I don't see the temps going crazy.  Sure, they go up a bit but physics being what they are, you'd expect that.  Is there a problem with the card?  The enclosure?

All input is welcome!

Thanks.

2020 Mac mini 64G RAM
Sonnet 550
Sapphire Radeon 5700 XT Pulse
Dual monitors:
Sapphire HDMI - Philips 328E
Mac mini HDMI - HP E243 (portrait mode)

ReplyQuote
Scott Kallen
(@scott_kallen)

No help, here?  Am I in the wrong forum?

Is there an inherent problem with this combination?  I've scoured the web for months without getting any closer to an answer.  I'm getting desperate!

2020 Mac mini 64G RAM
Sonnet 550
Dual monitors:

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Prominent Member

@scott_kallen

Try moving the card’s physical BIOS switch to the other setting. 

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 650) + macOS 11.1 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Scott Kallen
(@scott_kallen)

Great suggestion!  I shut everything down and moved the switch (I do think I tried that when I first got the card and hit this issue) and it didn't solve the problem.  But thanks so much for the idea.

Any other ideas, anyone?

This post was modified 3 months ago

2020 Mac mini 64G RAM
Sonnet 550
Dual monitors:

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Prominent Member

@scott_kallen

Have you watched your Mini’s CPU temperatures as well? One Apple Arcade game overheated my i5. Totally unexpected. 

(Now I use Macs Fan Control freeware at Full Blast to cool the CPU while gaming)

Is the problem only happening in CSGO? Or other games?

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 650) + macOS 11.1 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Scott Kallen
(@scott_kallen)

One of my favorite games is an FPS/Survival game called "Rust." I'm sure it's very similar in load to CS:GO.

One question I'm pondering is whether or not it's a temp issue within the iMac itself or within the eGPU.  Given the behavior (it doesn't shut down, the framerate just drops to 1 or 2 for a bit then ramps back up to normal after about 15-20 seconds) does that lend itself to one or the other?

Also, I've been looking to find a decent logging utility that will log the time-stamped temps both within the Mini AND within the eGPU and the Radeon card itself.  Any help there would be appreciated.

2020 Mac mini 64G RAM
Sonnet 550
Dual monitors:

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Prominent Member

@scott_kallen

Intel power gadget will log CPU behavior. 

ReplyQuote
Scott Kallen
(@scott_kallen)

That's a great suggestion.  Are there any tools that can give me data from the 5700?  Or even the enclosure temp and/or fan speed? (Running in Big Sur, that is)

2020 Mac mini 64G RAM
Sonnet 550
Dual monitors:

ReplyQuote
Scott Kallen
(@scott_kallen)

Taking the suggestion to heart, I loaded both the Power Gadget and got an app called "Temperature Gauge Pro".  I recorded the values on my second monitor while I get the slowdown.  Here's the video:

Readings During Slowdown

So far, I couldn't find an app that would help me see what's going on in the enclosure, so I don't think the TG Pro has the option.

If anyone can give me an idea as to what might be causing the lower frequency and power spike, please let me know.  Any theories are welcome!

Thanks.

2020 Mac mini 64G RAM
Sonnet 550
Dual monitors:

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Prominent Member

ReplyQuote