Notifications
Clear all

5700XT eGPU not being used by apps  

RSS

M94028
(@m94028)

Noob to eGPU use.  I have a new Mac Mini (Catalina with all updates) and a Razer Chroma enclosure with a Radeon XR 5700XT GPU. I’m trying to get Topaz Labs photo enhancement software (the ‘AI’ apps) to use the eGPU, no luck so far.

The eGPU works: Geekbench and other benchmarks show 100% GPU load in Activity Monitor. It works on two different Macs, as well.

I’ve tried checking the “prefer external GPU” box in each app. I’ve tried every combo of plugging/unplugging, rebooting hot/cold, etc. I’ve tried an older system (MBPr mid-2015, Catalina) and run purge-wrangler. Again, benchmarks work, Topaz apps don’t see the eGPU. Topaz’ support hasn’t given me any ideas that work.

Any suggestions for getting these apps to engage my eGPU gratefully received. Thank you!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
corb555
(@corb555)

1. verify that you see the egpu icon at the top of the screen

2.  make sure "prefer external gpu" is checked for Topaz (which you already did)

3. make sure  Topaz is running on a display connected to the RAZER/5700Xt 

4. run activity monitor and look at GPU stats

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RP W5700 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node Titan) + macOS 10.15.4 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
M94028
(@m94028)

@corb555, thanks for your reply.

1. Icon is there (little chip with leads out all four sides)

2."prefer external GPO" checked in Topaz VEAI

3. Display connected to HDMI socket on card

4. Activity monitor indicates Intel integral graphics UD630 at 100%, 5700XT at 0%.

macO identifies card and enclosure (System Report:-> Graphics/Displays and Thunderbolt)

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
M94028
(@m94028)

@corb555, And a pattern among benchmark apps:

Geekbench 5, LuxMark, and MetalBench all drive the 5700XT to 100%. Cinebench doesn't use either the integral UHD630 or the 5700XT - 0% on both of those, only the CPU cores get used. Yet Cinebench identifies the 5700XXT correctly in the "your system" box.

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Reputable Member

@m94028

“A note on openVINOTopaz Labs apps support Intel's openVINO toolset for high-speed CPU-based rendering. If you are currently using an Intel CPU, you can enable openVINO in the Preferences menu of any of our apps.”

The product website makes it sound like the Topaz software AI learning and rendering is done by the CPU only. 

And that’s correct - Cinebench tests give you a system report, but do not include any GPU benchmarks. 

2018 Mac Mini i5 / 6-core 3.0-4.1 Ghz / 32GB / 256GB / Intel UHD 630 / PowerColor Gaming Station / PowerColor dual-fan RX5700 XT / Mac OS 10.15.6 Catalina / Windows 2004 😏 / Dual LG 27" 4K displays

ReplyQuote