Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
5700xt work in parallels?

5700xt work in parallels?  

RSS

blessf
(@blessf)

Hey i have mbp 2019, and im trying to trade down a radeon vii which my MBP recognized immediately.  Heard the 5700xt work in bootcamp but not in macos yet. would it work in parallels at all?  i dont rly have the time to mess with bootcamp and most use macos anyways, just wanna play a few games.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Ningauble77
(@ningauble77)
Estimable Member

@blessf

Parallels emulates a dx11 capable video card by translating directx system calls to metal system calls which will then run on the macos drivers/video card.  It will only work with cards that have macos driver support.  The emulation overhead is pretty high, at least with Parallels 15 and Mojave.  Parallels claims better dx11 performance in Catalina.  Dx12 and Vulkan games will not work at all.

2018 13 Macbook Pro + Core v2 + Radeon VII Win10 1903/MacOS 10.14.6
ASUS X99 Deluxe+Core v2 + Radeon VII Win10 1809

ReplyQuote
blessf
(@blessf)

had offers of reference vega 64 and frontier edition, so wonder do vulkan games like Doom not run at all even if they support directx 11?

if i followed this 

https://egpu.io/boot-camp-egpu-setup-guide/

then 5700xt would work in windows/steam but for mac i'd be stuck with my macbook's gpu?   (edit: wanting a gpu for final cut/adobe etc)

This post was modified 2 weeks ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
User99999
(@user99999)
Eminent Member

@blessf

Stay with your RVII for now until we workout 100% Rx5700/XT issues as it won’t work in OsX not for a good while.   Bootcamp for me when it worked it is a very powerful and I was able to do all the usual AMD OC mods on non- XT to make it scream past XT!

Pending: Macbook Pro Retina Mid 2015 m370x eGPU Radeon Rx 5700 W10

ReplyQuote
blessf
(@blessf)

well im trying to pay off a ticket i got, which is the reason im trading down. might just sell it and buy the 5700xt when support comes then, work with the 560x in the MPB.

ReplyQuote
User99999
(@user99999)
Eminent Member

@blessf

Don’t think Apple has plans to add support for Rx5700 series within 6 months.  

Pending: Macbook Pro Retina Mid 2015 m370x eGPU Radeon Rx 5700 W10

ReplyQuote