Clear all

AMD Radeon Pro W5700x Graphics Card with USB-C Monitor Output  

of  3
  RSS

joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

Posted by: @joevt

with all the USB devices of the LG 27UK850-W connected to that via an internal USB 2.0 hub.

Minor correction: the internal hub of the LG 27UK850-W is USB 3.0 but it can only operate at USB 2.0 speed while using the USB-C for DisplayPort input.

Posted by: @joe_yun

I guess mine are older version then. 

Did you check? Here's a command that will output the vendor and product IDs of your displays:

eval $(ioreg -ilw0 | egrep 'Display(Product|Vendor)ID' | sed -Ee "s/[ |]+(.*) = (.*)/printf '\1 = 0x%x\\\n' \2;/")

The product ID of the old one is 0x5b11. The product ID of the new one is 0x5b74.

There might be a model number on the back of the display, 27MD5KA for the old one and 27MD5KL for the new one.
https://www.notebookcheck.net/LG-refreshes-the-UltraFine-5K-monitor-for-2019.428467.0.html

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

Posted by: @sevenup

2.When plugin the LG 5K's TB3 cable to W5700 's USB-C port, macOS popup a message to tell me the TB device is unrecognized and suggest to plugin the device directly to MBP ;

Forgot to mention that the ioregpci.txt output shows that you have the old LG UltraFine 5K which does not support USB-C (non Thunderbolt) input.

grep $((0x5b11)) ioregpci.txt # look for old LG UltraFine 5K
    | |           "DisplayProductID" = 23313

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
sevenup
(@sevenup)
Eminent Member

2.When plugin the LG 5K's TB3 cable to W5700 's USB-C port, macOS popup a message to tell me the TB device is unrecognized and suggest to plugin the device directly to MBP ;

Forgot to mention that the ioregpci.txt output shows that you have the old LG UltraFine 5K which does not support USB-C (non Thunderbolt) input.

grep $((0x5b11)) ioregpci.txt # look for old LG UltraFine 5K
    | |           "DisplayProductID" = 23313

Thanks for all your informations, good to know the W5700 has DSC option.

The UK850 works fine with the W5700’s usb-c port.

I don't have a highspeed NVMe pssd rightnow to test the usb-c speed.

And also couldn’t insert a Intel 750 NVMe PCI-E into the Razer Core X Chroma for the half width of the second pcie slot :/

Waiting for the next macOS update Smile

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@sevenup The RTX cards' USB-C port runs at USB 3.1 gen1 speed. I would guess AMD does the same for this W5700.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2013 Mac Pro (FP D500 x2) [3rd,12C,E] + RX 5700 XT @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Mantiz Saturn Pro) + macOS 11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

@itsage

Your screenshot says USB 3.1 SuperSpeed Plus - the "Plus" means gen 2. What device is connected in the ATTO benchmark? It could be a SATA SSD but in that case you might expect 500 MB/s instead of just the 465 MB/s that you show... actually, isn't 465 MB/s beyond gen 1 speed? 5Gbs * 8b/10b = 500 MB/s but 465 MB/s might be too close to that theoretical max. Wikipedia says USB 3.1 gen 1 (aka USB 3.0) is limited to around 400 MB/s. I tested a Plugable.com usbc-nvme with my MacMini8,1 USB type A port (USB 3.0) and got 440 MB/s (gen 2 from a Thunderbolt port of the same MacMini8,1 allows 980 MB/s).

I don't think it makes sense to limit a USB-C port to just gen 1 speed, especially since these GPUs have access to 16 lanes. If they support VirtualLink, then they should have a gen 2 USB controller.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VirtualLink

Testing at https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-02-28-psa-the-usb-c-port-on-rtx-graphics-cards-isnt-just-for-vr shows 750 MB/s (kind of slow for gen 2 - is the controller limited internally to PCIe 3.0 x1 or PCIe 2.0 x2 - maybe they're using ASM1142 crappy tech).

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
sevenup
(@sevenup)
Eminent Member

I think macOS 10.15.2 didn't fully support the AMD RP W5700:

1.The eGPU recognized as AMD Radeon Navi10;

2.When plugin the LG 5K's TB3 cable to W5700's USB-C port, macOS popup a message to tell me the TB device is unrecognized and suggest to plugin the device directly to MBP;

3.App crashing randomly Cry 😥 Cry no matter plugin the LG 4k to the W5700's USB-C port or plugin the LG 5k to MBP's TB port;

btw, the W5700 is a very silent card Smile

Hope the next macOS build would save this card.

After upgrade to macOS 10.15.3 today, the eGPU can be report as "AMD Radeon Pro W5700" now...

The 2nd problem still there...

@sevenup

Thanks. What model MacBook Pro do you have?

A 2016-end version 15 MBP with 4C i7-2.7GHz/16GB Ram/RP 455 2GB

Hope the new 14 MBP coming soon 😉 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Aled Brown
(@gelert42)
Trusted Member

@sevenup

Do you definitely have the Mk2 LG 5K display that supports USB-C input? I've got lost in the thread above and definitely one of the people posting has the old non USB-C LG 5K.

Glad 10.15.3 recognises the W5700 though. I guess it will also recognise the 5600 XT as well.

Could you run a Geekbench 5 Metal and OpenCL compute bench on the W5700 when you get chance?

2019 MBP15 2.4GHz i9 32GB with VEGA 20 dGPU - macOS 10.15
2019 LG 5K Mk2 94W Thunderbolt 3 Monitor (USB-C in)
Radeon Pro WX9100 16GB + Sonnet Breakaway 650W eGPU
Radeon RX 580 8GB + Sonnet Developer 350W eGPU

ReplyQuote
sevenup
(@sevenup)
Eminent Member

Posted by: @gelert42

@sevenup

Do you definitely have the Mk2 LG 5K display that supports USB-C input? I've got lost in the thread above and definitely one of the people posting has the old non USB-C LG 5K.

Glad 10.15.3 recognises the W5700 though. I guess it will also recognise the 5600 XT as well.

Could you run a Geekbench 5 Metal and OpenCL compute bench on the W5700 when you get chance?

Sorry, I only have the 1st generation LG Ultrafine 5K, and have not run the benchmarks yet.

ReplyQuote
Noah
 Noah
(@noah)

@sevenup, did you find a solution? I have the same setup....

I need your help guys, I have two Ultrafine 5K the first gen. and would like to connect them using egpu with macbook pro as mine is overheating, what is the best graphics card/setup to do that? shall i buy two egpus? like the blackmagicdesign ones that has thb3 out? does the moshi cable works with any graphics card and i will be able to connect both using one card or will face brightness control issues?

Appreciate your help

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

@noah,

The moshi cable only works with the second gen LG UltraFine 5K and only gives 4K.

The first gen LG UltraFine 5K requires Thunderbolt input. Each one needs a Thunderbolt 3 add-in card (GC-TITAN RIDGE or GC-ALPINE RIDGE or any card with two DisplayPort inputs) and two DisplayPort outputs of a GPU. So choose a GPU with at least four DisplayPort outputs. The W7100 has 6.

I would get two Thunderbolt PCIe expansion boxes (or one one Sonnet Echo Express SE IIIe) and place the add-in cards inside. That might be enough to get an image on the displays. Maybe add some wiring for the force power pin and maybe the platform event pins of the add-in cards. That might get you USB functionality of the Thunderbolt ports (if GC-TITAN RIDGE). Maybe connect the USB 2.0 inputs (if using GC-TITAN RIDGE) to a hub for legacy USB devices. Then install some software (that doesn't exist yet) to make them work so that you can use the USB features of the displays (including brightness control).

Brightness control might work using an app that does DDC/CI?

I don't know if anyone's done any of the above.

ReplyQuote
 of  3