Convert AMD 5700XT HDMI output for input to Apple 27" LED TB2 Monitor?

Notifications
Clear all

Convert AMD 5700XT HDMI output for input to Apple 27" LED TB2 Monitor?  

RSS

0Badger0
(@0badger0)

Hello.

I'm contemplating buying and plugging an AMD 5700XT graphics card into the Razer X Chroma and using it with my MacBook Pro.

This stuff is very expensive up here in Canada, so this is actually a pre-sales request for confirmation that my Apple LED 27" TB2 Display will work as it does now, when plugged into the TB3 port of my MacBook Pro 15” 2017 (Model A1707) Intel Core i7 3.1 GHz machine.  

My LED Apple monitor is an older TB2 model (with firewire port) and of course, I'm using a TB2->TB3 Apple adapter which works fine.  I get full functionality, including the camera, microphone, and speaker output from the Apple monitor.

I understand that the directly connecting the Razer X Chroma to the monitor via outputs from an installed eGPU card is the best way to do this, as going through the computer's TB3 bus and back out to the monitor causes a 15-30% drop in frame rate?

I'm running Windows 10 under Bootcamp from a standalone external Samsung T7 SSD, which works great by the way. I just need more FPS and graphics processing power for my simulations than I can get from my MacBook Pro with its internal Radeon 560 discrete GPU.

The AMD 5700XT has both HDMI and DisplayPort outputs, so somehow I need to get one of their outputs converted to TB2 for plugging into my Apple LED TB2 monitor?  I assume HDMI (2 way) would be the best choice to preserve my full functionality, including the camera, microphone, and speaker output from the Apple monitor?

Any feedback on solutions from folks using this type of configuration would be really appreciated.

Thanks...

Regards,

Doug

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Honorable Member

@0badger0

What software are you running? 

It sounds like it needs additional gpu computational power (more than faster screen re-drawing).

In which case, leaving your display connected to the MBP as it is right now will be fine.

Also, the Sapphire Nitro Plus 5700 XT gives members here less trouble than the Red Devil card.  

2018 Mac Mini i5 / 6-core 3.0-4.1 Ghz / 32GB / 256GB / Intel UHD 630 / PowerColor Gaming Station / PowerColor dual-fan RX 5700 XT / Mac OS 10.15.6 Catalina / Windows 2004 😏 / Dual LG 27" 4K displays

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member Moderator

Hi @0badger0 !

Worth noting - Navi cards perform badly in Loopback mode so it may be worth sticking to an older AMD card depending on use case.

itsage has some great build posts with relevant benchmarks.

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
0Badger0
(@0badger0)

Thanks guys.... 🙂 

I appreciate the feedback ...

I've done even more research and it appears I'm completely out of luck trying to find a method (or cable) to connect either of the 5700XT's HDMI or DisplayPort outputs and get them converted to TB2 for plugging into my Apple LED TB2 monitor. 🙁 

... and I think you're right about the loopback loss, but I could test that as an interim step before the final solution, which I believe would be buying a new compatible monitor (a Dell S series 27"?) with DisplayPort and HDMI input connections for a direct 5700XT connection.

I'll update this thread as I move through the process.

Regards,

Doug

ps: @Mini i5 .. I'll also revisit the card decision and look at the Sapphire Nitro Plus 5700 XT  ... thanks.  When you say it gives members less trouble... by that you mean?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member Moderator

ReplyQuote
0Badger0
(@0badger0)

@eightarmedpet, Thanks.... beautiful monitor, but on my fixed income veteran's pension, I'd have to go without food for a month to afford it. 😉 

Appreciate the feedback ...

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Honorable Member

@0badger0

The Red Devil card has been troublesome for members here. Prone to crashing.

2018 Mac Mini i5 / 6-core 3.0-4.1 Ghz / 32GB / 256GB / Intel UHD 630 / PowerColor Gaming Station / PowerColor dual-fan RX 5700 XT / Mac OS 10.15.6 Catalina / Windows 2004 😏 / Dual LG 27" 4K displays

0Badger0 liked
ReplyQuote
nu_ninja
(@nu_ninja)
Reputable Member

It's not just forum members either, Mindfactory (German retailer) released their RMA rates and the Powercolor red devil and red dragon cards have the highest RMA rates of all the 5700XT's.

Mid-2012 13" Macbook Pro (MacBookPro9,2) TB1 -> RX 460/560 (AKiTiO Node/Thunder2)
+ macOS 10.15+Win10 + Linux Mint 19.1

2012 13" MacBook Pro [3rd,2C,M] + RX 460 @ 10Gbps-TB1 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + macOS 10.14.4 [build link]  

0Badger0 liked
ReplyQuote
0Badger0
(@0badger0)

@mini-i5 and @nu_ninja

Thanks .. 🙂 

I did some more reading about the Sapphire Radeon Nitro+ RX 5700 XT and although more expensive, it does seem to be higher quality construction.

I don't see any reference to free Sync and free Sync 2 HDR technology which the other 5700 XT advertises.  Because it's an AMD card, I assume it's automatically supported?

Anyway, Based upon your comments, I have changed my Amazon cart to order the Sapphire Radeon Nitro+ RX 5700 XT to go with the Razer X Chroma.  If I connect it to a Dell 27" external monitor, is it better to choose one of its DisplayPort or HDMI output connections?  Is there a functional or performance difference between either one?

I also checked under settings and confirmed my MacBook Pro 15” 2017 (Model A1707) Intel Core i7 3.1 GHz with its dGPU Radoon 560 machine has the "large memory" capability.  I've extracted the pci.sys from an ISO of Windows 10 1903 build 18362.30 and with @mini-i5's instruction link, installed (overwrote) it on my Windows 10 version 2004.388 and Windows doesn't change it back on boot.

I've read everything I could find on epgu.io about by specific MacBook Pro and how to get it to work under my Windows 10 Bootcamp configuration. I think I'm ready to buy and see if I can get this rig running. 😛 

Appreciate all the advice ... 

I guess it's GO time. 😯 

ReplyQuote
gizzer3010
(@gizzer3010)

@0badger0, just wanted to share that I have the Sapphire Nitro+ SE 5700 XT and it's working beautifully on macOS and Windows 10 (the latter with some dancing around).

My FPS is limited by my monitor (60 painful hz - I am working on saving for a proper 4k 144+).

Mac Mini - Windows 10 - Razer Core X Chroma - Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT Nitro+ SE

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + macOS 10.15.6 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

Mini i5 and 0Badger0 liked
ReplyQuote