Clear all

[Solved] Dell 8K Monitor (UP3218K) with eGPU (Vega 64) in MacOS & Win10  

of  2
  RSS

sirisy
(@sirisy)

Posted by: Robert

Windows 10:
8K60Hz ist absolute stable without issues!
MacOs 10.13.3:
8K30Hz ist possible with SwitchResX.

did you get to test the up3218k with macos mojave? is it possible to get [email protected] with the new system?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Ray
 Ray
(@ray)
Eminent Member

This post was modified 8 months ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Ray
 Ray
(@ray)
Eminent Member

I JUST made a thread about this a few hours ago. Now I'm finding this. Was anyone here able to successfully get it to work on macOS?

@gelert42 did you end up replacing that old 30" Cinema Display with it?

ReplyQuote
Aled Brown
(@gelert42)
Trusted Member

Hey @ray I decided to go with the 2019 updated LG 5K Thunderbolt 3 in the end combined with the 2019 MBP i9 8-core VEGA 20 and hope that more eGPUs will support USB-4/Thunderbolt 3 output to screen in the future.

I've not mourned the vertical space lost as much as I thought. The LG display is stunningly clear and the colours are amazing.

The LG has been great. The only glitch I've had was when I changed out the 2m LG Thunderbolt 3 cable to one of the two 0.5m Sonnet TB3 cables I had OEM with the eGPU enclosures because 0.5m is perfect for LG5K to MBP but useless for eGPUs under a desk! The shorter cables glitch out after a while (heat?) and the display will briefly go blank. LGs supplied cable does not do this. It's a good warning to others though.

Plugged into the back of the LG5K I have USB-C to Audio Out for my speakers, USB-C to Gigabit Ethernet and a USB-C 4TB Time Machine drive.

The 94W Power Delivery charges my MBP fine and I'm now a 1 cable clean setup. I'll plug in the eGPUs when I need them for 3D rendering.

This post was modified 10 months ago

2019 MBP15 2.4GHz i9 32GB with VEGA 20 dGPU - macOS 10.15
2019 LG 5K Mk2 94W Thunderbolt 3 Monitor (USB-C in)
Radeon Pro WX9100 16GB + Sonnet Breakaway 650W eGPU
Radeon RX 580 8GB + Sonnet Developer 350W eGPU

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member Moderator

@gelert42 interesting what you say about cables and glitches! I have had that happen to me and had no idea what it was! (the flickering fix in my sig was a Windows only issue and solution). What exact cable are you using atm because my prick of a cat just ate my Calldigit one (but to be honest its begun to come lose in the MacBooks ports).

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Aled Brown
(@gelert42)
Trusted Member

@eightarmedpet I'm using the original LG 2m unbranded TB3 cable which works flawlessly. I have also bought a Belkin 2m TB3 and a Choetech 2m TB3 for the eGPUs to replace the titchy Sonnet ones, one of which I pack in my work bag for emergencies.

TB3 cables are definitely not born equally. 

The loosening ports thing has happened on my 2017 MBP but I have not lost a connection. The difference to my 2019 MBP for port tightness is huge.

This post was modified 10 months ago

2019 MBP15 2.4GHz i9 32GB with VEGA 20 dGPU - macOS 10.15
2019 LG 5K Mk2 94W Thunderbolt 3 Monitor (USB-C in)
Radeon Pro WX9100 16GB + Sonnet Breakaway 650W eGPU
Radeon RX 580 8GB + Sonnet Developer 350W eGPU

ReplyQuote
 of  2