Easiest way to drive LG UltraFine 4K Monitor with eGPU

Easiest way to drive LG UltraFine 4K Monitor with eGPU  

of  2
  RSS

joevt
(@joevt)
Prominent Member

Posted by: @atlas

And just to clarify, this includes the newer 23.7" UltraFine too, even though its input is Thunderbolt vs. the older model which was USB-C?

Yes, the new 24" UltraFine 4K display is Thunderbolt 3 but also accepts USB-C input like the older UltraFine 4K USB-C display.

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
(@charles_lee_1)

I must have made a bad assumption that a USB-C to HDMI cable would make my ultrafine 4K display work with the eGPU.  Anyone can tell me how to make it work?

2018 15″ MacBook Pro i9-8950HK/Radeon Pro 560X dGPU/32GB RAM/2TB SSD; Radeon RX 5700XT & Razer Core X

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@charles_lee_1 The best option is Huawei VR-2 cable as detailed in this topic.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
LiE
 LiE
(@lie)
Eminent Member

Posted by: @itsage

@charles_lee_1 The best option is Huawei VR-2 cable as detailed in this topic.

This. I'm planning to buy one of these to connect to my 24" LG Ultrafine.

@itsage do you know if using this cable drives the monitor at 60hz?

2018 Mac Mini i7 / 256 / 16GB
2019 24" LG Ultrafine 4k Monitor
Razer Core X + Sapphire Nitro+ RX 5700 XT

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Prominent Member

@lie

It's a four lane DisplayPort 1.2 cable with USB 2.0 so 4K 60Hz will work.

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
devdevs
(@devdevs)

Huawei VR 2 DP Cable

I just received Huawei VR 2 cable (got from Giztop.com) and can confirm it works on my setup.

DisplayPort cable connects to my Vega 64 GPU (Razer Core X), USB-C goes in one of the 24” Ultrafine’s thunderbolt ports. And USB A goes in the laptop itself. I have 2017 13” MbPro  and had to use the adapter for it.

I still have to use the EFI Boot method on Bootcamp to drive internal screen first, if not Windows gets hung on loading logo with glitches.

Once both internal and external displays are running, everything works, but obviously, GPU performance drops since it’s driving both. I switched windows power settings to disable display on lid closed instead of going to sleep. This way, internal display disables, and GPU drives all performance to the external screen.  

Sound works well and can be adjusted from a Windows system sound controller.

However, I have not found the way to control brightness yet. Even with LG display manager software, I can’t set brightness. It’s always on full brightness on default in my case.

This post was modified 2 months ago

Razer Core X / Sapphire Vega 64
Macbook Pro 13" 2017 (Non-Touch Bar) i5 / 16GB / 512GB
Macbook Pro 16” 2019 i9 / 32GB / 2TB / 8GB Radeon Pro 5500m
Mac OS Catalina / Windows 10 1903 (Bootcamp)
LG Ultrafine 4K 24” - Thunderbolt 3 (Mac OS) / Huawei VR 2 DP Connection (Bootcamp > eGPU)

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Prominent Member

@devdevs Is there an LG Display Manager for Windows? Do the USB devices and ports of the LG display appear in Windows Device Manager? Find a program that can control brightness using DDC/CI.

ReplyQuote
LiE
 LiE
(@lie)
Eminent Member

@devdevs

Does it work well in MacOS? Does the brightness work there ? 

ReplyQuote
devdevs
(@devdevs)

@lie @joevt

There is similar software on Windows called LG On-Screen Control. It is not for Ultrafine 4K, but I downloaded version for 27UL850, and the software automatically recognized that Ultrafine 4K was plugged in, giving me control over window splitting features only but no brightness/contrast.

Thanks for DDC/CI suggestion.

And yes, it works well in MacOS with Brightness (including Automatic Brightness) / Audio control. 

System info with MbPro (Closed lid) > eGPU > Huawei VR 2 > Ultrafine 4K

eGPU   Ultrafine 4k

System info with MbPro (Open lid) > Ultrafine 4K

no eGPU   Ultrafine 4K

This post was modified 2 months ago

LG Ultrafine 4K 24” - Thunderbolt 3 (Mac OS) / Huawei VR 2 DP Connection (Bootcamp > eGPU)

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Prominent Member

Posted by: @devdevs

Thanks for DDC/CI suggestion.

If you find an app that works then let us know. I googled "ddc/ci" "lg" "brightness" "windows" and found these:
https://www.overclock.net/forum/44-monitors-displays/1262322-guide-display-control-via-windows-brightness-contrast-etc-ddc-ci.html
https://github.com/bojanrajkovic/clibright

ReplyQuote
devdevs
(@devdevs)

@joevt

Found an app called ClickMonitorDDC that works with Ultrafine 4K Brightness. Thanks for the tip again!

You can can download it at https://clickmonitorddc.bplaced.net/

ReplyQuote
jltawil
(@jltawil)

What is the expansion card I need to add to my Razer Core X so I can plug my LG 4k monitors into the Core X and drive them off my RX 5700 XT?

JT, Mac Mini + Razer Core X Chroma + Dual LG 4k Ultrafine + Sapphire Nitro 5700 xt

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Prominent Member

@jltawil Just get a Huawei VR 2 cable for each USB-C display.

LiE liked
ReplyQuote
LiE
 LiE
(@lie)
Eminent Member

Posted by: @joevt

@jltawil Just get a Huawei VR 2 cable for each USB-C display.

Here's a link. https://www.giztop.com/huawei-vr-2-computer-connection-cable.html

Mine's arrived in the UK, hoping I can get it in the next few days.

ReplyQuote
jltawil
(@jltawil)

I’m already running that cable. The problem is that it’s dp1.2 I want to be able to run do 1.4.

JT, Mac Mini + Razer Core X Chroma + Dual LG 4k Ultrafine + Sapphire Nitro 5700 xt

ReplyQuote
LiE
 LiE
(@lie)
Eminent Member

@jltawil

Whats the reason for wanting 1.4? 1.2 should be able to drive 4k 60hz.

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Prominent Member

@jltawil We don't have any evidence that the Huawei cable doesn't work at DisplayPort 1.4 speed (there's no difference between a DisplayPort 1.2 cable and a DisplayPort 1.4 cable except maybe quality). The LG 4K displays are DisplayPort 1.2, unless they support refresh rates greater than 60 Hz (up to 120Hz). Is there a USB-C display that uses DisplayPort 1.4?

ReplyQuote
LiE
 LiE
(@lie)
Eminent Member

So I have my Huawei VR 2 cable and I thought it may be useful to document how to use it, based on my testing. I couldn't find this info else where so others might find it interesting.

macOS Usage

- You cannot boot into macOS with the eGPU connected using this cable, you get no display. Unplug the eGPU from the Mac mini when booting into macOS.

- You should instead boot with the standard Mac mini > LG UltraFine TB3 connection.

- When macOS has loaded, unplug the Mac mini > LG UltraFine TB3 connection and plug in the eGPU. The eGPU will come to life and after a few seconds you'll have full display and brightness controls.

- Waking from sleep is fine with the eGPU connected.

Windows Bootcamp Usage

- Windows requires the eGPU to be connected when booting. However you do not get the boot loader with the eGPU connected, so you cannot select which OS to boot.

- To work around this, you should set Windows as the default OS when turning on your Mac mini.

- This allows you to reboot in macOS with the eGPU connected, and go into Windows bootcamp without having to do any unplugs.

Things to test / issues

- What I haven't tested yet is if I switch the eGPU off at the power while the Mac mini is asleep, but then switch it back on and wake it up does it output to the display.

- Geek bench 5 is quite low compared to others.

Mine - https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/compute/210348

Others with same GPU and spec - 

https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/compute/207223

https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/compute/205202

Any thoughts on the low score?

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Prominent Member

@lie Is this behavior the same for a non-USB-C DisplayPort display?

ReplyQuote
LiE
 LiE
(@lie)
Eminent Member

@joevt

I don't have a way to test really. What I do know is you always have to connect the eGPU before you boot into Windows bootcamp, you cannot plug it in after. When I briefly used my HDMI tv to test I saw the boot loader so I think my observations are mainly to do with the quirks of this cable.

ReplyQuote
(@bastian_immanuel_andre)

Just stumbled over this thread – great to see that we are not stuck with the pricy Blackmagic option!

I am wondering though: Does the USB-A end of that Huawei VR Cable need to go to the host machine directly? 
What happens if you plug that into one of the Razer Core X Chroma enclosure USB ports for example. Shouldn’t they be driven by the TB3 connection from the host anyway?
And what would happen if I, hypothetically, leave the USB connection out? My guess would be no sound and brightness controls? Maybe someone can enlighten me on that regard.

As I am looking for a one-cable-solution, that would be interesting for me.

Thanks for the pioneering guys!

This post was modified 1 month ago

MacBook Pro 13” 2018 • LG Ultrafine 4K 23.7”

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Prominent Member

Posted by: @bastian_immanuel_andre

And what would happen if I, hypothetically, leave the USB connection out? My guess would be no sound and brightness controls? Maybe someone can enlighten me on that regard.

Yes, no sound or brightness control without USB. I don't think the display has DisplayPort audio. You could control brightness with an app that can send DDC/CI commands though.

Any USB connection should work. Directly to the computer or connected to a hub a Thunderbolt device.

ReplyQuote

@joevt

Alright, thank you for the app tip!

So to conclude: the only real downside of a setup like this (MacBook Pro - eGPU - LG Ultrafine 4k) would be the loss of the second Thunderbolt3 Port on the LG Display, since it is driven via USB-C from the Huawei VR Cable and no Thunderbolt input, right?

ReplyQuote
LiE
 LiE
(@lie)
Eminent Member

@bastian_immanuel_andre

I’m not sure when it comes to MBP, I think there would be some difference in how it works and additional nuances due to either built in display and/or dedicated GPU in the MBP

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Prominent Member

@bastian_immanuel_andre

Also, the USB ports of the LG UltraFine 4K display will probably be limited to USB 2.0 while using a DisplayPort alt mode connection instead of a Thunderbolt connection. Actually, using the Huawei VR 2 Cable will definitely limit the USB ports to USB 2.0 because the USB connector is only USB 2.0.

ReplyQuote

@joevt

Yup, probably, although I would be fine with that.

Another thought I had: Would it also be possible to drive the egpu on one TB3 port of the MacBook Pro, and connect the LG Ultrafine to another, so that the egpu also excellerates the output to the LG Ultrafine? Or is it mandatory to connect the display directly to the discrete eGPU.

Not sure if MacOs is "intelligent" enough to handle it that way. On the other hand this is the ways to use is whithout an external display, right?

Thanks for your help!

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Prominent Member

@bastian_immanuel_andre

To connect a display to a GPU, the output must come out of one of the ports of the GPU. So for a Thunderbolt Display, the DisplayPort outputs must come from the GPU into a Thunderbolt controller which converts both DisplayPort signals to Thunderbolt. Then the Thunderbolt controller inside the Thunderbolt Display will convert them back to DisplayPort.

ReplyQuote
LiE
 LiE
(@lie)
Eminent Member

So after getting the eGPU setup and spending time using it I’ve decided it’s a bit overkill for me. I bought it to play some games and in reality I don’t get much time to do that.

I’m within my return window for the GPU and PSU so those are already on their way back for a refund. My Razer Core X and Huawei VR cable I will have to sell however. Not sure if there is a forum section on here to post stuff for sale? I’m in the UK so if anyone is interested drop me a message. 

ReplyQuote
(@lolandese_sfrigolante)

Hello Everyone, I Just came across this post and ,to be honest, it answered most of the question I had ( I am planning to buy a Mac mini  with an Razer Core X  Egpu to connect, eventually , to an Ultrafine 5k Monitor). But I am still wandering if the camera integrated into the display will work with the Huawei VR2 cable . Does anyone Know if it  does work?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
LiE
 LiE
(@lie)
Eminent Member

@lolandese_sfrigolante

You can’t drive the 5K from the eGPU/Huawei cable. The 5K is Thunderbolt 3 only. 

ReplyQuote
(@lolandese_sfrigolante)

@lie

Thank you for your replay. So if id buy an ultra fine 5k there is no Way to connect it to an Razer core x? No tb3 - DisplayPort cable whatsoever? 

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
LiE
 LiE
(@lie)
Eminent Member

@lolandese_sfrigolante

Correct there’s no such cable. It requires additional hardware which is much more complex than a single cable. 

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

@lie

Hold on, I’m a touch drunk so could be wrong, but, the second gen 5k use either usb c or tb3

This post was modified 2 weeks ago

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Prominent Member

@eightarmedpet

The new UltraFine 5K can use USB-C for 4K but needs Thunderbolt 3 for 5K. Someone with a USB-C only output with DisplayPort 1.4 alt mode (maybe USB-C to DisplayPort like the Cable Matters DisplayPort 1.4 adapter and a DisplayPort 1.4 to USB-C cable like from Moshi cable) can run the following command to check the connection (DisplayPort registers) and supported timings (EDID):

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsControl.kext/Contents/MacOS/AGDCDiagnose -a > AGDCDiagnose_a.txt 2>&1

The 5K2K HDR display (not as tall as the UltraFine 5K) can do 5K2K with either Thunderbolt 3 or DisplayPort/USB-C.

This post was modified 2 weeks ago

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

How is the Huawei VR 2 cable working for those who have been using one? Mine died today after less than two months of periodic testing. Due to the ASUS USB-C MB16AC portable monitor needing bus power, I always had to connect the USB-A piece to one of the USB ports on the host computer. It did not work when connected through the Thunderbolt 3 enclosure’s expansion USB ports (tested with Mantiz Venus and Razer Core V2).

Today I tried with an ASUS USB-C MB16AP portable monitor which has a built-in battery. It came with an external power adapter (5V ~ 2A). I decided to connect the Huawei VR 2 USB-A to the ASUS power adapter and that worked right away. After this test however this cable no longer seems to work. I have tried with different computers and configurations. I also used a Pluggable USB-C power meter to see if there’s any bus power through the Huawei VR 2 USB-C end. Unfortunately it showed nothing. My guess is the ASUS 10W power adapter burnt something inside this VR 2 cable.

I’m going to try Wacom Link Plus (ACK42819) adapter next. It’s currently down to $62 on Amazon. Hopefully it can withstand more abuses than the Huawei VR 2 cable.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
 of  2