Clear all

Easiest way to drive LG UltraFine 4K Monitor with eGPU  

of  10
  RSS

joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

Posted by: Buick Wong

@joevt3, I also have the Sunix config in my Thunderbolt expansion box. But Huawei provides a better solution at much less price. It doesn't need extra power and configuration, just plug and play. maybe a better cable can provide USB 3.1 connection and DP 1.4 like USB-C VirtualLink Alt Mode.

Does the Sunix have the problem of losing audio and brightness control or did you mean that problem is only with the AIC solution?

The Huawei solution is the best I've seen for the USB-C four lane DisplayPort + USB 2.0 problem of displays like the LG UltraFine 4K but it probably doesn't work for the USB-C two lane DisplayPort + USB 3.x problem of other displays and USB-C docks. The DisplayPort version doesn't matter - DisplayPort 1.4 requires lines that can do 8.1 Gbps (only 50% more bandwidth than DisplayPort 1.2) which means any cable that can do USB 3.1 gen 2 should be good enough. I don't know if the quality of the Huawei cable is good enough for DisplayPort 1.4 but it could be.

VirtualLink Alt Mode is four lane DisplayPort 1.4 + USB 3.1 on the USB 2.0 lines. I think the cable would need to advertise that it's for VirtualLink alt mode, and the USB Type-A connector would need the USB 2.0 pins moved to the USB 3 pins. This would make it unusable for DisplayPort alt mode situations.

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
Buick Wong
(@buick_wong)

@joevt3 Sunix‘s audio and usb works properly if you connect it to TB3 to PCIe expansion box. But Huawei ‘s cable supports only DP1.2. 4096 is its max resolution. On its manual, it said its max bandwidth is 21.6Gbps which means clearly its a DP1.2 4 lanes cable with usb 2.0. This configuration meets UltraFine 4K’s requirement perfect.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member Moderator

Just bought a node lite as one popped up on eBay for a good price and actually in the Uk for once, I’ll Pop my TB3 add in card in it and see how it all works cabling and performance wise. 

If if the results of the above are lack lustre I’ll hold on to the Node Lite and see what Navi brings in the way of ITX size cards.

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

OliverB liked
ReplyQuote
Kelvin Jarillo Uy
(@kelvin_jarillo_uy)

Damn, saw this post 1 day late! Was just in HK yesterday (I'm based in Manila, Philippines). Held off from buying a Razer Core X and an AMD Graphics card because I couldn't find any that had 2 USB-Type C ports to connect my 2 monitors.

So I guess this cable solves my problem of running 2 Ultrafine 4K LG Monitors from the an eGPU, right? Oh well, I guess this gives me one good reason to go back to HK haha!

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018) with 4GB Radeon Pro 560
2 LG Ultrafine 5k Monitors

ReplyQuote
willian
(@willian)

I tried with 2017 4K, max was [email protected] in bootcamp Windows 

It also requires multiple plug in and outs to light my display up. (while it does recognize it as audio output device 100%)

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

Posted by: willian

I tried with 2017 4K, max was [email protected] in bootcamp Windows 

It also requires multiple plug in and outs to light my display up. (while it does recognize it as audio output device 100%)

What is a "2017 4K"? Do you mean the 21.5-inch LG UltraFine 4K display?

According to the following link, [email protected] is the max for a MacBook 2015 (Intel HD Graphics 5300). Newer Macs support 60Hz.
https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT207447

What computer did you use?

Did you get the same result in MacOS?

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
beshkenadze
(@beshkenadze)

Can confirm, works as expected with Huawei VR cable and Ultrafine 4k.

LG UltraFine:

Resolution: 4096 x 2304

UI Looks like: 2048 x 1152 @ 60 Hz

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
devdevs
(@devdevs)

I just purchased Ultrafine 4K and was looking for a solution to drive it using Bootcamp and eGPU. Thanks for this tip! Hoping it will work for me as well.

I haven't purchased Huawei VR2 cable yet, but I found this website which is listing the cable for ~$55 (at this moment).

https://www.giztop.com/accessories/huawei/huawei-vr-2-computer-connection-cable.html

I may give it a try in a couple of weeks. 

This post was modified 9 months ago

Razer Core X / Sapphire Vega 64
Macbook Pro 13" 2017 (Non-Touch Bar) i5 / 16GB / 512GB
Macbook Pro 16” 2019 i9 / 32GB / 2TB / 8GB Radeon Pro 5500m
Mac OS Catalina / Windows 10 1903 (Bootcamp)
LG Ultrafine 4K 24” - Thunderbolt 3 (Mac OS) / Huawei VR 2 DP Connection (Bootcamp > eGPU)

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

@devdevs The new Wacom Link Plus should also work (not the old Wacom Link). The VR cable is probably better because it's less expensive and doesn't require power.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

@devdevs I believe there's a problem in your signature that is causing subsequent messages to become bold text.

ReplyQuote
 of  10