Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
Egpu + external ssd + bootcamp + macmini 2018

[Solved] Egpu + external ssd + bootcamp + macmini 2018  

RSS

(@daniele_pugliese)

Hi all,
I installed yesterday a new samsung external drive ssd. I attached it to one of the external thunderbold 3 in my mac mini. When I boot in windows I see correctly the EGPU and the SSD but the performance of the SSD are very slowly than mac os.

windows bootcamp: 400 mb/s writing 1900 mb/s reading.

In mac os I have about 2000 mb/s in writing and 2600 mb/s in reading.

I know that this is not an egpu issue but I think that someone of you can be my same setup.

Thank you. 

the drive is Samsung X5 500 GB

Update : I solved the issue after some restart and plug and unplug the drive..

This topic was modified 4 months ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
(@daniele_pugliese)

unsfortunatelly the problem persist 🙁 . Seems that after restart the pc from mac to windows the ssd not work anymore with the better performance.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Posted by: Daniele Pugliese

unsfortunatelly the problem persist 🙁 . Seems that after restart the pc from mac to windows the ssd not work anymore with the better performance.

@daniele_pugliese
External SSD... Which API? SATA or NVMe?

If it is SATA (most are using those) you never will get more than 500MB/s, either external or internal. It's a limitation by design.

Using NVMe (what I am using) the limit is about 1000MB/s on a external drive for USB3.1 Gen2 interface.

Posted by: Daniele Pugliese

In mac os I have about 2000 mb/s in writing and 2600 mb/s in reading.

Well, this is interesting and  these are great numbers for an external SSD. Best I have ever heard of. So you have a NMVe SSD, correct? And with a NVMe-TB3 controller, right? Can you elaborate more about your hardware, please?
Which filesystem do you use on your external SSD, so that you can use it for both OS?

Additional note: It's a shame that in electronic stores they only sell SATA external SSDs even though they are so limited. People still by those even though they get only half the speed they could get.

This post was modified 4 months ago

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

Which Thunderbolt 3 ports do you use for connecting eGPU and SSD? I’d recommend placing them on separate Thunderbolt bus so one PCIe component doesn’t impinge the bandwidth of the other. In the 2018 Mac mini, the Thunderbolt 3 bus and port arrangement are as followed:

Thunder Bus 0 Thunder Bus 1  
Ethernet Port TB3 Port #1 TB3 Port #2 TB3 Port #3 TB3 Port #4 HDMI Port

This post was modified 4 months ago

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
(@daniele_pugliese)

Thank you for your reply. You alright but I already did as you said. Also because if i connect ssd amd egpu on the same BUS windows go in stuck and I have to restart the mini. So I connected the ssd on TB Port4  and eGPU to TB Port 1.

ReplyQuote