eGPU on 2019 i9 iMac for both macOS and Bootcamp - Questions
I just ordered an AMD 5700XT directly from AMDs site since I read that Catalina now supports these cards. I have a few questions on the setup.
- Does Windows work well with an external AMD card while having an internal AMD card? My iMac comes with a Vega 48. What would I need to do for Bootcamp to play nice with this.
- In macOS, I know there is some setting somewhere to "Prefer eGPU" or something like that. If I have my eGPU drive two additional monitors, do I need to use this setting?
- In both Windows and macOS, will my iMac screen still be usable?
- For both macOS and Windows, is it best to turn on the eGPU before I turn my computer on?
- Are there any issues with force disconnects? For example - we have a lot of brief power outages. My iMac is on a UPS but I do not have enough ports for all my monitors and the eGPU itself to be on the UPS too. I will probably get a second UPS for this, but in the mean time I would like to be prepared in case of a power failure.
Windows Bootcamp not working only if u downgrade to an older version and no I won’t do it yes I have egpu razer Core x and 5700xt but I can’t use the external display in Bootcamp ):
I am fine with not updating my Windows 10 install. I have a GTX 1080 that I have used with the egpu before. But I am hoping that the AMD card can be used for both macOS and Windows without me swapping cards every time I want to use Windows and macOS.
I believe both work if you use the correct version of Windows (.295) though I’m not sure how to prevent it from updating for longer than 30 days.
Cat should work though I’ve heard there’s some issues with it