Evga rtx 3080 ftw3 3 pins, + razer core x chroma

Notifications
Clear all

Evga rtx 3080 ftw3 3 pins, + razer core x chroma  

RSS

ElEl Penaflorida Mariano
(@elel_penaflorida_mariano)

Hello can anyone help me from this certain gpu that has 3 x 8 pins, i want to know if the razer core x chroma with  2x 6+2  connecter will work with the gpu, i have the 3080 shipped and i was wondering if it will work with the razer x chroma? Thank you!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
odin
 odin
(@odin)
Estimable Member

@elel_penaflorida_mariano, if the power supply is sufficient (650W probably to account for any TB power delivery and other components) and it's a single 12V rail not split rail you should just be able to use a 1x8 to 2x8 splitter on one of them. You'd have to be extremely sure that it's a single rail supply though and can sufficiently power the requirements of the card itself, plus overhead for up to 100W of TB power delivery if that's what razer can do, plus any additional USB ports etc (though those are probably on a different +5 rail or something perhaps.. those are low power anyway..). The reason I say single rail is if it's split into multiple rails you might end up overloading the one that has the 2x8. If they are all being fed from a single rail it SHOULD be ok. You best bet would be maybe ask Razer, but they'd probably just cover their rear and tell you not to. If it's a typical SFF power supply like the Sonnet has, you might be able to upgrade it.

If it's a card built for overclocking it may require more power than the typical 320W 3080 (add in maybe 50-75W extra for surges and spikes).

EDIT: I just looked up the unit..

• Built-in power supply: Includes a 700W ATX PSU with 100W laptop charging via Thunderbolt 3; GPU max power support up to 500W

Seems powerful enough, just do some research to make sure the PSU is single rail so you don't have an imbalance that will potentially trip the over-current protection on one of the rails.

LG Gram 17 | Sonnet Breakaway Box 550 | Asus Strix RTX 2070 OC Edition | Win 10 Pro 20H2 + Fedora 32 Dual Boot
Build Link

2018 17" LG Gram 17 [8th,4C,U] + RTX 2070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 550) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
ElEl Penaflorida Mariano
(@elel_penaflorida_mariano)

@odin,

@odin, the razer core x chroma psu is 700 watts, 100 watts from tb, and i believe the case only has one rail to 2 x 6+2 connector.  not for overclocking just want it to be able to work, dont really mind the bottleneck or performance, just want it to work. 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
odin
 odin
(@odin)
Estimable Member

Posted by: @elel_penaflorida_mariano

@odin,

@odin, the razer core x chroma psu is 700 watts, 100 watts from tb, and i believe the case only has one rail to 2 x 6+2 connector.  not for overclocking just want it to be able to work, dont really mind the bottleneck or performance, just want it to work. 

If it's a single rail just get a good quality 1x8 to 2x8 adapter and it should theoretically work. PSU is definitely beefy enough. No promises obviously.

LG Gram 17 | Sonnet Breakaway Box 550 | Asus Strix RTX 2070 OC Edition | Win 10 Pro 20H2 + Fedora 32 Dual Boot
Build Link

2018 17" LG Gram 17 [8th,4C,U] + RTX 2070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 550) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote