FreeSync 2 Monitor - Samsung CHG90 49-inch 32:9 Curved Display  

theitsage
(@itsage)
Noble Member Admin
January 22, 2018 4:24 pm  

I wanted this monitor since last summer when Samsung announced it has FreeSync 2 and a 144 Hz refresh rate. During the Black Friday to Christmas sales here in the US, there were many good deals so I pulled the trigger on one. A common issue I read about this monitor is the wake from sleep behavior. I updated the firmware to the latest version 1014.2 right after receiving mine and I have yet to encounter wake from sleep issue.

This super-wide 49" monitor at 32:9 ratio is effectively two 27" FHD monitors stitched together. Due to the curvature of the display, it takes up a lot of space. The screen itself weighs more than 26 pounds so the stand is very elaborate in order to balance the odd shape. I took this picture from an angle because getting the whole width inside the frame straight-on was a challenge.

The latest firmware also ensures FreeSync range for this Samsung CHG90 is 48-144 Hz via either DisplayPort or 48-100Hz via HDMI (according to AMD's list of FreeSync monitors). macOS of course cannot make use of FreeSync so Windows is the only environment when FreeSync is active. What I was interested in finding out most was the performance and experience with an eGPU. The monitor works well at native resolution 3840 x 1080 @ 120 Hz in 10.13 via both internal graphics and external graphics connection when paired with a nMP.

Next was to pair it up with my late 2016 15" MBP + Mantiz Venus RX Vega 56 eGPU. The monitor was plug-and-play once the RX Vega 56 eGPU was functional in Boot Camp. FreeSync was automatically detected and enabled. The display showed it's running at 144 Hz.

I ran a few benchmarks at 3840 x 1080. This seems to be quite a stretch for a single AMD card to handle at the moment.

The 81 DPI is hard to overlook. If you're used to retina displays, the unpolished pixels on this screen will scratch your eyeballs like sandpaper. I lowered the Sharpness settings to smooth on screen texts. Other than gaming, it's not possible to recommend this monitor.

Edited: 4 months  ago

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

51 external GPU build guides

goalque liked
ReplyQuote
Zorn_
(@zorn_)
Eminent Member
February 22, 2018 2:52 am  

When I had an nVidia card, under macOS with the nVidia web driver installed there was a panel in display preferences for G-SYNC. Do you recall if there was anything similar in macOS for Freesync when using an AMD card?

2017 MacBook Pro 15"
Mantiz Venus
Powercolor Vega 64

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Noble Member Admin
February 26, 2018 5:45 pm  

@zorn_ FreeSync and G-Sync are only possible in Windows with compatible monitors. The G-Sync panel in macOS doesn't mean much.

ReplyQuote
MJA
 MJA
(@mja)
May 16, 2018 3:08 pm  

@itsage, thank you very much for your review.

I have the same MacBook Pro as you. And as both GPUs and the 49" Samsung prices are coming down significantly, I'm tempted to buy the same configuration.

Would you recommend going with a Vega 64 rather than the 56? Or is the 56 powerful enough to drive this monitor at correct fps in most games?

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Noble Member Admin
May 16, 2018 3:22 pm  

@mja Without a doubt the RX Vega 56 is the better choice. In eGPU mode, the RX Vega 64 has caused a lot of headaches with peak power. The performance difference doesn't justify the additional expense for GPU itself and a more powerful PSU/enclosure imo.

ReplyQuote