Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
iMac + eGPU + Second Monitor + Windows 10

iMac + eGPU + Second Monitor + Windows 10  

RSS

(@nathan_biefeld)

Hello everyone. I am looking at getting a 2019 i9 iMac with the Radeon 580. I would like an eGPU and boot to Windows for gaming (not primary task of the computer).  I already purchased the Razer Core X Chroma. How does Windows handle two different GPUs?  One being internal and one being external. Will there be two drivers?  Should I stick with AMD?

I do plan to have my second screen be connected to the eGPU directly.

Thanks!

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@nathan_biefeld If your goal is to use eGPU for gaming in Windows, I’d recommend going with Nvidia. It’s actually easier to set up because there’s no driver conflicts between AMD dGPU and Nvidia eGPU. The iMac dGPU can use stock Apple Boot Camp drivers while Nvidia eGPU can use latest Nvidia drivers. It’s best to hot-plug the Nvidia eGPU once the systems fully loads Windows so that the iMac‘s internal display remains working. You can also try loopback acceleration to have the eGPU power the internal display. Best performance is through an external monitor as you planned.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
(@nathan_biefeld)

Ok so there will essentially be two drivers on Windows?  One for AMD dGPU and one for the NVIDIA eGPU?

what happens if I use AMD Navi in the eGPU so I can also use it on macOS?  Any driver issues?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
(@nathan_biefeld)

Anyone?

ReplyQuote