iMac late 2012 - Razer Core X Amd Radeon 5700 XT - Blacks out iMac and Monitor w...

Notifications
Clear all

iMac late 2012 - Razer Core X Amd Radeon 5700 XT - Blacks out iMac and Monitor when connected to second display  

RSS

AdamK
(@adamk)

Hi All, 

Thank you so much for your help in advance 

I can get my iMac to run with Razer Core X thanks to Purge Wrangler ( on the mac alone not a problem) 

When I try to re start and add Dell monitor U2715hc connected via Display port cable the iMac doesn't run.a Takes ages to load and finally shuts down and comes up with a warning iMac shut down due to unknown cause. 

Has anyone experienced this or know how to fix it?

Could it be the graphics card? 

Thank you 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@adamk, 2012 iMac has NVIDIA dGPU which causes the issue: https://github.com/mayankk2308/purge-wrangler/wiki/Complications

No solution for this problem at this time (don’t have machine to investigate plus insufficient incentive).

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
AdamK
(@adamk)

@mac_editor,

Possible work arounds ?  Thinking out load to see if anyone has done it when faced with same issue 

My previous set up was (before eGPU)

iMac T2 to Lacie 2 big thunderbolt raid hard drive (working drive) and my second T2 was a Thunderbolt to Display Port cable on to second monitor. 

I'm thinking,  what if I run 1 x T2 to a dock with HDMI or DP T2/T3 built in and connect my Raid hard drive and my second monitor through that. 

Then I can still use the power of the eGPU on the other T2 connection. 

Am I correct in thinking this ? 

Main use is photo and video editing no games. 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@adamk, if you saturate your TB port, this may happen: https://github.com/mayankk2308/purge-wrangler/issues/52

If you can separately connect your display to iMac directly, and eGPU to TB, then you can get things going (naturally taking the loop back performance hit).

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
AdamK
(@adamk)

@mac_editor

So What I have done is daisy chained my Lacie raid hard drive to the monitor via thunderbolt to DP cable 

left the eGPU with the second thunderbolt connection. 

Will see if the Thunderbolt connection to Hard drive gets Saturated or over heats (the lacie monitors temp and condition in app) 

Thank you for your time 

ReplyQuote