Notifications
Clear all

Is the RTX 2080 really that bad?  

RSS

kilsein
(@kilsein)

I’ve recently bought a ZOTAC RTX 2080 8GB AMP Edition GPU for a new build and after reading the reviews on here I feel pretty downhearted about my card.

I haven’t installed it yet, so it’s not too late to return. The GPU was like £80 more than the EVGA 1080 Ti I was looking at but it seemed like a good move to go for a brand new card rather than the older 1080 Ti, but at the end of the day the guy in the shop did push me a little towards the 2080 because it’s “future proof.”

Have I been pushed towards a bad deal? Why has the r/buildapc community railed so hard against the 2080 release?

This topic was modified 2 months ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Boltoway
(@boltoway)
Estimable Member Moderator

@kilsein

The RTX 2080 is an excellent card with plenty of power.

The only negativity towards the 20-series RTX cards I have heard was that there was only a small raw performance increase compared to the 10-series but a more significant price increase. Basically you were paying for features instead of performance. 

You have a great card, and personally I think the RTX features are great, especially DLSS. 

2021 14" Lenovo Yoga Slim 7i Pro (MX450) [11th,4C,H] + RTX 3060 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (Wikingoo eGPU) + Win10 21H1 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin
Builds: 155

Like @boltoway said, people were not as happy with the RTX 2000 series cards because of how big of a jump in performance GTX 1000 series were vs. GTX 900 series. RTX 2080 is still a very capable card. It works great in eGPU enclosures too.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2021 14" Microsoft Surface Laptop Studio [11th,4C,H] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (WD_Black D50) + Win11 [build link]  

Boltoway liked
ReplyQuote