Clear all

LG 5k Ultrafine + Hackintosh/windows SFF  

of  5
  RSS

joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

Posted by: @guideofgalaxy

But I don't think these adapters work in reverse.

Correct. MST hubs only work one way.

Posted by: @guideofgalaxy

But by rights, it should work with a single display port 1.4 its support to have enough brandwidth to support 8k displays so it should run at 5k.

I can connect a dual cable 5K display (Dell UP2715K) to a single DisplayPort 1.4 port using a DisplayPort 1.4 MST Hub. This only works in Windows since macOS doesn't support MST for multiple displays (macOS only supports MST for old 4K displays that use different streams over the same DisplayPort cable for the left and right side of the display). A similar connection should work for the LG UltraFine 5K but you still need a Thunderbolt 3 add-in card to convert the two outputs of the MST Hub to Thunderbolt for the display's Thunderbolt input.

DisplayPort 1.4 has enough bandwidth for 5K 60Hz 8bpc RGB no compression. Dual DisplayPort 1.2 has more bandwidth and therefore allows 5K 60Hz 10 bpc RGB.

DisplayPort 1.4 has enough bandwidth for 8K 30Hz 8bpc RGB (Dell UP3218K).

With DisplayPort 1.4, to get 8K 60Hz, you need to use dual cable (Dell UP3218K) or YCbCr 4:2:0 or Display Stream Compression (DSC).

For 5K 60Hz, the LG UltraFine 5K can accept dual DisplayPort 1.2, nothing else.

For 5K 60Hz, the Apple Pro Display XDR can accept a single DisplayPort 1.2 for 6 bpc, or dual DisplayPort 1.2 for 10 bpc, (I haven't seen anyone get HBR3 from single DisplayPort 1.4)

For 6K 60Hz, the Apple Pro Display XDR can accept dual DisplayPort 1.4 or single DisplayPort 1.4 with DSC.

(dual connections require Thunderbolt 3 connection)

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
GuideOfGalaxy
(@guideofgalaxy)
Trusted Member

@itsage,  ok so it is possible just with a few more bits of hardware

I Don't think that ITX board has a TBT header...

https://www.asrock.com/mb/spec/product.asp?Model=Thunderbolt%203%20AIC

it looks like those cards require that to be on the motherboard to run.

This post was modified 1 year ago
2016 15" MacBook Pro (RP455) [6th,4C,H] + RX 5600 XT @32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.3 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@guideofgalaxy,  You don't need the Thunderbolt 3 AIC to be fully functional in the OS. It's there to serve as a converter of dual DP to Thunderbolt 3 monitor output only. The on-board Thunderbolt 3 port can connect to an eGPU which then feeds two DisplayPort connection to the TB3 AIC.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2018 Mac Mini [8th,4C,B] + RX Vega 56 Nano @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Gigabyte Gaming Box) + macOS 12.0 & Win11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
GuideOfGalaxy
(@guideofgalaxy)
Trusted Member

Posted by: @itsage

@guideofgalaxy,  You don't need the Thunderbolt 3 AIC to be fully functional in the OS. It's there to serve as a converter of dual DP to Thunderbolt 3 monitor output only. The on-board Thunderbolt 3 port can connect to an eGPU which then feeds two DisplayPort connection to the TB3 AIC.

I don't know, have you tried this? and does what you say work wit the 5k lg monitor at full 5k resolution?

This doesn't sound right to me, what is the point of having that header is its not needed?

so then it should be possible to just put the Thunderbolt 3 AIC in a thunderbolt 3 egpu box and just run it from there with the graphics card in the actual pcie slot on the motherboard. for better performance.

2016 15" MacBook Pro (RP455) [6th,4C,H] + RX 5600 XT @32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.3 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@guideofgalaxy,  I would never buy the LG Ultrafine 5K monitor because of its input limitation. I have tried that workaround using the GC-ALPINE-RIDGE AIC to produce TB3 monitor output in multiple builds. It worked through a TB3 to DP adapter as well as a TB3 monitor directly. 

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2018 Mac Mini [8th,4C,B] + RX Vega 56 Nano @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Gigabyte Gaming Box) + macOS 12.0 & Win11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Famed Member Moderator

So after quite lot of late nights and tantrums I have this build working in both macOS and W10 using the new kid on the block - Open Core bootloader.

So far so good and its pretty stable (sleep issues but I dont usually use sleep on even my real Macs).

Everything works in Windows, speakers ports and camera, but as predicted its limited to 4k which isn't an issue.

In macOS only the monitor works, no additional gubbins, I may need to map my USB ports but I'm going to have to have a break with all this before I try that. Bluetooth doesn't work so I've bought a dongle and I may just buy an Airplay enabled speaker rather than try and get the onboard ones working.

One oddity is that Easy Res claims im getting 5K, but thats impossible right? I have the option for 5K @1X and 1440 @ 2X, but that can't be right? I'm using an RX5700XT which I think has that DP 1.4 with some sort of compression thing, but if that was really 5K it would be 5K in Windows too right?

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node Lite) + Win10 20H2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

@eightarmedpet, You shouldn't need to map USB ports if you are connecting with Thunderbolt. But I'm not sure what's going on because you give no information about how the display is connected - and no information about what motherboard you are using. I have to reread the entire thread or look in other threads to guess which motherboard you finally chose?

The frame buffer that macOS draws into is 5K but it is a scaled resolution that outputs as 4K. Use SwitchResX to view the timing info of the current resolution by double clicking the current resolution in the Current Resolutions tab for the display in SwitchResX. You'll see Active is 3840x2160 while Scale to is 5120x2880.

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Famed Member Moderator

@joevt, ha, sorry! I went with the AMD asrock phantom gaming itx/tb3 in the end, display is connected via the onboard tb3 and the Gpu feeds into it via dp in. I’ll dig deeper into easyres. 

---

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node Lite) + Win10 20H2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
GuideOfGalaxy
(@guideofgalaxy)
Trusted Member

Ok I have build my new PC now with this the new Asrock X570 ITX TB3 board and I plugged in my graphics card via display port in and the plugged in my LG ultrafine 5k display and it work straight a way in windows it maxes out at 4096 x 2304 60hz

everything works web cam and all 3 usb c ports, mic and speakers.

I am surprised how good it looks trying to see the difference on my macbook pro via thunderbolt and on my pc. You have to look really closely to see a little blur but from a normal viewing distance, I can't see the difference obviously if you try to do some video editing you see the difference in resolution. But editing with colour in daVinci resolve has been good.

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Famed Member Moderator

@guideofgalaxy, would love to see some pics! 

I've been tweaking my build slightly over the last week or so and now have BT working in macOS so I can use my Mac peripherals making it feel just like a real Mac! It's pretty wild... although speakers and webcam do not work in macOS they do in W10.

---

ReplyQuote
 of  5