LG Ultrafine USB-C to RX580 HDMI not working

Notifications
Clear all

LG Ultrafine USB-C to RX580 HDMI not working  

RSS

woloban
(@woloban)

Hello. I have a Razer Core X with the Aorus RX580 plugged to my iMac via USB-C + thunderbolt adapter. This is my usual setup.

I would like to drive an external LG Ultrafine 4K through the RX580's HDMI port, using a HDMI>USB-C cable. But the monitor is not working, even after shutting down the iMac and rebooting. Not recognized on System Report.

Is there anything I missed? egpu is recognized as usual and I've installed it last year using purge wrangler and run automate-eGPU

iMac 27-inch, Late 2012 (3,4 GHz Intel Core i7 - 32GB 1600 MHz DDR3 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 MB)
Sonnet Razer Core X + Aorus Radeon RX580 8GB
Mojave 10.14.1
Purge-Wrangler

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

The USB-C to HDMI cable probably only works in one direction (USB-C output of computer to HDMI input of display).

What you need is an adapter that converts HDMI to USB-C - such as the Wacom Link Plus. It also transfers a USB 2.0 signal so you can use the USB features of the display (brightness control, USB hub, etc.)

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

Any reason you don't use the DisplayPort output of the RX580? The Wacom Link Plus can also accept DisplayPort input.

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
woloban
(@woloban)

Posted by: @joevt

Any reason you don't use the DisplayPort output of the RX580? The Wacom Link Plus can also accept DisplayPort input.

Reading similar experiences from others I avoided DP ports cause they seem to be problematic. Anyway I bought a DP>USB-C cable that I'll try tomorrow. This is the one I'm using now that doesnt work https://uniaccessories.io/collections/cables/products/usb-c-to-hdmi-cable4k-60hz-uni-usb-type-c-to-hdmi-cable-thunderbolt-3-compatible-for-macbook-pro-2018-2017-macbook-air-ipad-pro-2018-surface-book-2-samsung-s10-and-more-gray-6ft-1-8m

Brand is the same. I was wandering if it could be some kext problem.

iMac 27-inch, Late 2012 (3,4 GHz Intel Core i7 - 32GB 1600 MHz DDR3 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 MB)
Sonnet Razer Core X + Aorus Radeon RX580 8GB
Mojave 10.14.1
Purge-Wrangler

ReplyQuote
melmeiro
(@melmeiro)

I would like to recommend you to have a look at the ongoing discussion here. I believe it is going to give you the necessary approach and angles in order to reach a proper and hassle-free solution. In order to address this issue, for example, I have purchased two different equipments: Huawei VR2 cable and DeLock DisplayPort Adapter for a USB Type-C Monitor. But, I am also thinking to buy Gigabyte GC-TITAN RIDGE Thunderbolt 3 Expansion Card and a discrete GPU with Virtual Link since such equipment is going to give me more space and flexibility in future scenario so that I am not going to be limited by lack of Thunderbolt 3 support for example.

Addendum

This monitor constitutes such a unique case on its own. And that made me several times question my decision afterwards when I have decided to build a desktop PC recently. It poses so many limitations since Thunderbolt 3 is not a common "thing" yet.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

@woloban, most USB-C to DP cables only work in one direction also (like USB-C to HDMI cables). Make sure you get a bi-directional USB-C to DP cable like the one from Moshi.

https://hardforum.com/threads/use-usb-c-monitor-without-usb-c.1911817/

ReplyQuote