Clear all

Mac mini 2018 - Thermal management / Cooling solutions  

of  15
  RSS

jangoloti
(@jangoloti)
Trusted Member

Posted by: waterchill

This is what I always first do with my new macs over the last years. If you do this you will maybe hear a noisy fan. It is always the same story...

What compound do you use? Do the surfaces get corroded with time?

Mac Mini 2012 and 2018 i7, Mac book Pro 2016 15" with TB, eGPU Galax/KFA2

ReplyQuote
bluetech
(@bluetech)
Eminent Member

btw/of topic : the flash at the mini2018! is:  

"stupid fast!" 😎

i am happy that i don't chose 256gb,
that would be to small for me.

I use 400gb for mac, 100 for Bootcamp and
use both OS with Parallels Desktop. (VM)

@all mini 2018-user:
How you use the "limited" internal space?

HexaMacMini/32Gb/512gb/10Gbit/s
...is waiting for eGPU-Power@Mojave

ReplyQuote
Sebastian Krampe
(@megaseppl)
Eminent Member

Posted by: hornedfrog

Thank you. Yes!

Here's the link to the project files: GloryBlowHole.zip

You'll need an old USB cable, some 1 wire Dupont cables, an ESP 8266 with 5V input and of course the 5V PWM fan. 
You can see the exact names of the hardware I use below:

This is the test setup. If everything works you can solder everything together and put it in a small case.

In the zip file you'll find: 
- The Arduino IDE code file for the ESP. You have to edit the variables like WiFi SSID/password, IP etc. and upload it to your ESP. 
- The XCode project for the Command Line application. You have to edit the target IP address of the ESP in main.swift. Currently it measures Core 1 temp. But you have several other sensors you could use instead (change SMC_KEY_CPU_TEMP in smc.h). Compile after and place application file and the created directory to your Applications folder.
- The Launch Deamon .plist to start the application on system start up: Edit the path/name to your command line application if required and place it in /Library/LaunchDeamons

The source code is not beautiful (I just wanted it to get it working as fast as possible)... and may contain bugs. The source is completely open, so feel free to improve it. Smile
Wrong PWM parameters could possibly damage the fan. Use it at your own risk. (I have tested the Noctua fan only! Other PWM fans might have problems with turning them off by PWM)

After all is built together and set up the Mac will measure its CPU temperature and upload it via HTTP GET to the PWM controller. By default it will only upload if the temperature changed by 5°C or if last upload time is more than 30 seconds ago. 
The fan will go off if it does not get an updated value for more than 70 seconds.

I would recommend a USB AC/DC with >= 2A.

Mac mini 2018 i7, Razer Core X with PowerColor Red Devil 5700 XT

ReplyQuote
hornedfrog
(@hornedfrog)
Trusted Member

@Sebastian  Thank you.

Mac mini 2018/i7/1TB/32GB RAM
Sonnet Breakaway Box 650W. Sapphire Vega 64 - (21275-03-20G card)
OWC Thunderbolt 3 14 port hub
AKiTiO Node Duo, 1 x Patriot Scorch M.2 512G SSD PCI-E 3.0 x 2 drive.

ReplyQuote
bluetech
(@bluetech)
Eminent Member

@Sebastian: Vielen Dank!

Glory Hole Blow: That's cool 😜

Your smarthome-screenshot looks nice,
more functions than stock homematic iP.

ReplyQuote
Sebastian Krampe
(@megaseppl)
Eminent Member

Posted by: bluetech

Thanks! 
I had to program my own home automation. At the time I began with it there was simply no good solution that supported, integrated and connected all my devices (like Homematic, Philips Hue, Yamaha MusicCast, Pioneer, Samsung TVs, Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Synology, AVM, EdgeMax, UniFi, SNMP, WoL, Apple Workflow (and Siri), Speech Output with Airplay, own ESP based hardware) and has features like Person tracking (so that for example the lights follows you - or person dependent actions like "If that special person is in that room, do this" / "If these two persons are in the sleeping room together, do that") etc...
Was a bit of work, but runs very well since some years and it's the perfect project to learn to understand how stuff works.

Mac mini 2018 i7, Razer Core X with PowerColor Red Devil 5700 XT

bluetech and itsage liked
ReplyQuote
bluetech
(@bluetech)
Eminent Member

Posted by: Sebastian
Posted by: bluetech

Thanks! 
I had to program my own home automation. At the time I began with it there was simply no good solution that supported, integrated and connected all my devices (like Homematic, Philips Hue, Yamaha MusicCast, Pioneer, Samsung TVs, Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Synology, AVM, EdgeMax, UniFi, SNMP, WoL, Apple Workflow (and Siri), Speech Output with Airplay, own ESP based hardware) and has features like Person tracking (so that for example the lights follows you - or person dependent actions like "If that special person is in that room, do this" / "If these two persons are in the sleeping room together, do that") etc...
Was a bit of work, but runs very well since some years and it's the perfect project to learn to understand how stuff works.

All incl. smart home: That's awesome! 😍

In the future this is a project 4 me, too.

Only one name i missed in your list,
because i orderd my first "siri" dot.

ReplyQuote
dufreyne
(@dufreyne)

I've got an i7 model for software development and I find the fan quite noisy when it concerns some CPU related tasks. The fan starts spinning from 1700 (min) to 4400 RPM (max) in a couple seconds. My solution is very simple: turning off turbo boost will lock your CPU frequency at 3.2 Ghz on all cores and make this little rig just silent. 
I know that gives you slower performance, but come on, are the many people who needs those hours of video encoding/decoding? I'm not one of those. With a single mouse click I enable turbo boost back when I need to. What you can also do is undervolting the CPU, it should make the T even a little lower without sacrificing performance in this case (I undervolt 50mv and disable turbo boost with the Volta app).

FYI GeekBench stats:
With TurboBoost - 5700/23062
Without TurboBoost - 4337/19366

PS. Just noticed funny thing, my Windows 2011-3 Workstation (2014) with 5820k 6 Core i7 gets only 3485/20355 in GeekBench (no overclocking).

Macmini 2018 Core i7 32GB RAM

ReplyQuote
wimpzilla
(@wimpzilla)
Honorable Member

@Sebastian

Thanks you for sharing such a wonderful implementation!

2012 13-inch Dell Latitude E6320 + R9 270X@4Gbps-mPCIe (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win10
E=Mc²

2012 15" Lenovo ThinkPad T530 [2nd,4C,Q] + R9 270X @ 4Gbps-mPCIe2 (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

I ran Prime95 for nearly 5 hours today on the 2018 Mac mini i3. Everything is stock in terms of the cooling system.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2018 Mac Mini [8th,4C,B] + RX Vega 56 Nano @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Gigabyte Gaming Box) + macOS 12.0 & Win11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
 of  15