Mac mini 2018 - Thermal management / Cooling solutions

Notifications
Clear all

Mac mini 2018 - Thermal management / Cooling solutions  

of  15
  RSS

dufreyne
(@dufreyne)

in which country? Is there a proof document?

Macmini 2018 Core i7 32GB RAM

ReplyQuote
howgoodminiiii
(@howgoodminiiii)

what has been the conclusion of this op? and this topic?

this is for that person that understands what this thread is about well

so it seems that the op thinking that the mini does not run 'optimally' due to the design of the fans?

and because of this, the mini has decreased speed. if the mini has decreased speed, what is the % decreased speed? 

because without knowing how much effect, or the impact the decreased speed from 'optimality' the decreased speed is having

then there's no meaningful results to be gain without knowing exactly how it much it matters or doesnt matter

anyhow what has been the conclusion of this op? and this topic?

could just put into a new, much cleaner post, and just link it here

This post was modified 2 years ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
dia3olik
(@dia3olik)

Posted by: itsage

You don't void the manufacturer warranty by replacing the RAM modules or reapplying the thermal paste on a Mac.

Are you sure about the paste?

MM2018 + XG Station Pro + RX580/Vega 56

ReplyQuote
wimpzilla
(@wimpzilla)
Honorable Member

Posted by: howgoodminiiii

what has been the conclusion of this op? and this topic?

this is for that person that understands what this thread is about well

so it seems that the op thinking that the mini does not run 'optimally' due to the design of the fans?

and because of this, the mini has decreased speed. if the mini has decreased speed, what is the % decreased speed? 

because without knowing how much effect, or the impact the decreased speed from 'optimality' the decreased speed is having

then there's no meaningful results to be gain without knowing exactly how it much it matters or doesnt matter

anyhow what has been the conclusion of this op? and this topic?

could just put into a new, much cleaner post, and just link it here

There is no conclusion, replace the thermal paste and just DIY a custom cooling solutions as shown, if you think it's needed.

The Mac mini 2018 cooling system is not suited to deal with the new i5 cpu's (old i7), without even mention new i7/i9, it is a fact!
It's only an issues if one use the machine to its full extent, for hard professional workloads.
Not an issue at all for customers that use it as classy furniture.

Nothing more, nothing less.

2012 13-inch Dell Latitude E6320 + R9 [email protected] (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win10
E=Mc²

2012 15" Lenovo Thinkpad T530 [2nd,4C,Q] + R9 270X @ 4Gbps-mPCIe2 (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
hornedfrog
(@hornedfrog)
Trusted Member

You can run your car stock or you can hot rod it and increase performance.  Same here.

Mac mini 2018/i7/1TB/32GB RAM
Sonnet Breakaway Box 650W. Sapphire Vega 64 - (21275-03-20G card)
OWC Thunderbolt 3 14 port hub
AKiTiO Node Duo, 1 x Patriot Scorch M.2 512G SSD PCI-E 3.0 x 2 drive.

ReplyQuote
Digital Corpus
(@digital-corpus)

I know I’n new here so please bear with me. This is my 3rd Mac mini, the only real thread I have found online regarding the thermal design, and I know at some time this year, I’ll likely pick up an eGPU.

I knew of the thermal performance issues from reviews before I got my mini, and its configured with an i7 and a 2 TB SSD and gigabit NIC. I’ve deliberately set out to analyse and possibly fix the thermal solution that Apple has created for this machine. All of my work and notes will be free. Through the advent of 3D printing and open source CAD, I strongly feel a DIY aftermarket solution is viable. If anyone wishes to comment, or help me test, please contact me. My progresss will remain available here:
https://hackaday.io/project/162873

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

jangoloti, itsage, hornedfrog and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
yesornofei
(@yesornofei)

just a think out of the box idea:

can I DIY a water cooled mac mini with the settings like this?

the tube is thin enough to go though the gap of the air exhaust,

if you use egpu anyway,

there should be space on your desk to place a water cool reservoir and radiator too.

mac mini 2018 i7 egpu with RX580

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Squuiid
(@squuiid)
Eminent Member

Anyone having problems with the built-in Aquantia 10GbE chip overheating in Windows 10 1903 (BootCamp)?
Mine disables itself after a few minutes of use. Event viewer shows:

Event ID: 19
Aquantia AQtion 10Gbit Network Adapter: Hardware overheat detected! Please power cycle the system.

A reboot doesn't do it, I have to power it off and on again to restore network connectivity.
Works fine in macOS however.

IMG 1397
IMG 1396
IMG 1398

Mac mini 2018, i7 3.2GHz 6c, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 10GbE, Sonnet eGFX 350W (Noctua NF-A12x25 ULN) + PowerColor RX 5700 XT 8GB, TEKQ Rapide TB3 1TB SSD, macOS Catalina, Win10 Pro
Mac Pro 2010, X5690 3.46GHz 6c, 64GB RAM, Samsung SM951 512GB, Sapphire Pulse RX 580 8GB, Intel X540-T1 10GbE, Allegro Pro USB 3.0, AC/BT 4.2, macOS Mojave

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@squuiid Sorry to hear. I'd recommend running a utility like HWiNFO64 and see if you can keep a log of the 10GbE chipset. If it keeps overheating, contact Apple for repair/replacement.

@yesornofei That looks cool but will definitely be a maintenance nightmare. I would rather mod the 2018 Mac mini logic board to reside in a larger case with more airflow.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 14" MSI Prestige 14 EVO [11th,4C,G] + RTX 3080 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

Squuiid liked
ReplyQuote
Squuiid
(@squuiid)
Eminent Member

The workaround to this overheating is to use MacsFanControl app in macOS and set the fan speed to 2800rpm or so. The setting gets saved in SMC so when you go into BootCamp the fans kick in and keep things nice and cool, as they should do. Fortunately 2800rpm its barely audible.

Mac mini 2018, i7 3.2GHz 6c, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 10GbE, Sonnet eGFX 350W (Noctua NF-A12x25 ULN) + PowerColor RX 5700 XT 8GB, TEKQ Rapide TB3 1TB SSD, macOS Catalina, Win10 Pro
Mac Pro 2010, X5690 3.46GHz 6c, 64GB RAM, Samsung SM951 512GB, Sapphire Pulse RX 580 8GB, Intel X540-T1 10GbE, Allegro Pro USB 3.0, AC/BT 4.2, macOS Mojave

Mini i5 liked
ReplyQuote
 of  15