Clear all

Mac mini 2018 - Thermal management / Cooling solutions  

of  15
  RSS

Rdewael
(@rdewael)

@jangoloti_1

Ugly but efficient I guess 😅

Mini 2018 / i7 / 512 ssd / 10 gigabyte Ethernet / 64 gig OWC ram / Akitio Tb3 to 2 displayport / ext Akitio enclosure for ssd.

jangoloti liked
ReplyQuote
Sebastian Krampe
(@megaseppl)
Eminent Member

Posted by: @rdewael

Since I’m building a Glory Blow stuff ( I’post pics when finish ) I wonder if it’s safe to take the plastic bottom away ?
Does it disturb the air flow design ?

Sorry for my late reply. I haven’t been here in a while.
It should be no problem to take the plastic bottom away. It‘s more a flow stopper. But I have never measured the difference with and without that plastic bottom.

Mac mini 2018 i7, Razer Core X with PowerColor Red Devil 5700 XT

ReplyQuote
mesocyclone
(@mesocyclone)

@horizondawn20

I have the same or similar setup and do the same tasks as you and the best basic solution I've found via these forums is using a fan control app like MacsFanControl or Istat Menus and simply setting the fan to a constant RPM (2800 or so works for me), then restarting into Windows via system preferences/boot volume. As long as you don't shut the computer down, the fan will run at that speed until you either restart into Mac OS X and change it again or power off/shutdown. With this workaround, playing something like Witcher 3 on ultra settings only seems to heat the Mini a reasonable amount. I haven't tried any more robust cooling solution.

2018 Mac Mini/i7/16GB
Razer Core X/Sapphire Pulse Radeon Vega RX 56
Old 1080p Dell monitor

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
jangoloti
(@jangoloti_1)
Estimable Member

@rdewael

It is under the office table, it is not visible. 

That mod plus the Mac Fans Control and I think I am set for the normal use I give to the Mac mini, with seldom high intensity tasks while sorting out 50 MB NEF files from my Nikon Z 7.

Mac Mini 2018 i7 16 GB 512 GB SSD, Mac Book Pro 2016, HP Z31x, Sonnet Breakaway Box 550 W, Nitro+ RX5700 XT, KFA2 SNPR 1060 6GB eGPU,...

ReplyQuote
Rdewael
(@rdewael)

Thanx all for all the answers. 
I’v installed some Noctua pwm fans and they are really quiet. 
Really good fans !

Mini 2018 / i7 / 512 ssd / 10 gigabyte Ethernet / 64 gig OWC ram / Akitio Tb3 to 2 displayport / ext Akitio enclosure for ssd.

ReplyQuote
horizondawn20
(@horizondawn20)

@mesocyclone

Oh I see. I searched Macs Fan Control and there is a Windows version. My default OS to boot is Windows. But when running on Windows, the app only works on mac models that are not equipped with the modern T2 Chip. I guess I have to go with the Macs Fan Control workaround or try the Glory Blow Hole or something similar with either 140mm or 200mm fan. Thanks!

Mac Mini 2018: i7 16GB RAM 256GB SSD
eGPU: Gigabyte Aorus Gaming Box GTX 1070

ReplyQuote
Tjeu
 Tjeu
(@tjeu)

@expensivefruit

While rendering 3d designs in Autodesk Fusion 360 or stichting spherical giga pixel panorama photographs in PTGui the processor cores and PECI temperature of my Mac mini 2018 are almost continuously running at 100ºC. I found this unacceptable an  ordered an "AC Infinity MULTIFAN S4 Quiet 140mm USB Fan for Receiver DVR Playstation Xbox Computer Cabinet Cooling" at Amazon.com The fan can either blow the hot air away form the mini or blow cool air onto the Mac. I'm prefer to blow the hot air away from the Mac. It does not create any noticeable lower temperature however. But I still leave it on all the time because it almost makes no noice and every bit of cooling is welcome.

Now I'm also betting on Turbo Boost Switcher Pro 2.9 ( https://www.rugarciap.com ) to decrease CPU temp. and under these heavy workloads the temperaturenow  is max. 97ºC. Turbo Boost Switcher is setup to automatically switch CPU Turboboost off if I open applications like Fusion and PTGui. It has a variety of settings to adjust to the liking of the user. Off course this situation is not ideal whileI can't use the turbomode of the CPU but it's fine by me if the CPU is not almost continuously running at 100ºC

IMG 3403
This post was modified 8 months ago

Six core 3,2 GHz Intel Core i7 Mac mini 2018 with 16GB RAM and 512GB SSD - SONNET eGFX Breakaway Box 550 with Gigabyte Radeon RX Vega 56 Gaming OC 8GB - BenQ BL2711U 27" connected to Display port eGPU and Dell UltraSharp U2412M 24" connected to Thunderbolt 3 Mac mini.

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 550) + macOS 10.14.1 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
esatamacmodular
(@esatamacmodular)
Estimable Member

@tjeu

nice post. one thing I have noticed is that if 2 sets of fans sometimes are worse off because the RPMs are not matched/ optimized. If they are close enough together one can influence the speed of the other. you probably have done everything right, but if the secondary fan you bought has a PWM switch, then it's possible a lower speed could help more than a higher speed.

iMac 2013 10.14.1, Macbook Air 2013 10.11, MBP 2016 13" 10.13.6 , HP 4530s 10.11, node lite, DA-2 PSU w/mod, PE4L 2.1b expresscard34, GTX460,1050Ti,1060,1070/Ti RX470,560,580

2016 13" MacBook Pro [6th,2C,U] + GTX 1060 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node Lite) + macOS 10.13.6 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Tjeu
 Tjeu
(@tjeu)

@esatamacmodular The fan on top of the my Mac mini is a single fan.  But your suggestion to set a lower speed to see if cooling is better that way is a good tip. I can set the speed of this fan at high, medium and low and for now I set it at medium to see if this has any affect. Thanks.

Six core 3,2 GHz Intel Core i7 Mac mini 2018 with 16GB RAM and 512GB SSD - SONNET eGFX Breakaway Box 550 with Gigabyte Radeon RX Vega 56 Gaming OC 8GB - BenQ BL2711U 27" connected to Display port eGPU and Dell UltraSharp U2412M 24" connected to Thunderbolt 3 Mac mini.

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 550) + macOS 10.14.1 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Fiesta5ever
(@fiesta5ever)

I plan on giving this nifty doodad a try. AliExpress Mac Mini Fan Base

I want something that looks semi clean and for $35 cant beat that price. Would eventually like to build my own egpu chassis that fits a Mac Mini, fans, psu, and multiple pcie slots for full sized card and ssd,

2018 Mac Mini - ADT-Link R43SG-TB3 - Red Devil RX 5700 xt

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
 of  15