Notifications
Clear all

Mac mini 2018 - Thermal management / Cooling solutions  

of  15
  RSS

expensivefruit
(@expensivefruit)
Eminent Member

@danhc interesting find. In that case, may it be worth investigating some kind of DIY solution using a normal fan externally connected to some kind of makeshift power supply? I'm not an electrician or that good at DIY (adding the RAM in the mini will be my limit), so unless there's a plug and play solution ready on the market, how would one go about this?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
DanHC
(@danhc)
Eminent Member

@expensivefruit

I think adding ram is much easier than this..

The difficult part to exhaust fan trick is when we want elegant to it.... I mean if you get these  then seal it off with the Mac Mini with duck tape.... it's done.

To make it a viable setup, I would invest on making a perfect seal that fits perfectly to Mac Mini's exhaust vent... I will try measure it when I get mine.... then I will make that rubber seal connected to something like this 

Then I can plug this vent into any kind of gigantic fan to suck the shit out of the Mac Mini... don't worry I have three years of apple care for that.

Or... you can just plug this into mac mini exhaust vent LOL

Disclaimer: Do this at your own risk, I am not responsible for your damaged Mac Minis, in particular, parts fell off due to strong winds

2013 15" MacBook Pro (GT750M) [4th,4C,H] + RX Vega FE @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 650) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
expensivefruit
(@expensivefruit)
Eminent Member

@mac_editor would you therefore be inclined to say that one could use the mac mini (in my case, for gaming, video rendering and audio projects) on a regular basis and still expect a reasonable length of life from the unit (say 4 to 5 years), even if it running consistently in the 80s, possibly 90s?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@expensivefruit Yes I believe you should be fine. If you are still worried, I would say buy AppleCare and then push the machine as much as you like for 3 years straight haha. If its fine after that, then chances are it still will be after 3 more.

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
DanHC
(@danhc)
Eminent Member

@mac_editor

I still recall what I did about the Macbook Pro Late 2011 with the 6750M GPU on it. I got Apple Care and I overclocked the GPU to play Crysis & other thermal experiment, the board died every two months and I believe I made around 5 repairs / exchange in a year. Apple Care, priceless.

2013 15" MacBook Pro (GT750M) [4th,4C,H] + RX Vega FE @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 650) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@danhc That's nuts haha. None of my Apple products actually have AppleCare. I have just had some tremendous luck with their products. This one time I dropped my iPhone 6 (out of warranty, cracked display), I called Apple and had to wait on the line for 15 minutes (I was willing to pay the 100$ for screen replacement, but the online portal wasn't giving me that option, only the 300$ full replacement option was showing). So 15min into the call regarding this a senior advisor pops up, takes my Apple ID, and orders a next-day air free replacement unit. She said it was special exception. Well. I bet haha.

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
johnjkle
(@johnjkle)

Lol, the AppleCare idea isn't actually that bad - run it care free for 3 years and see what happens :). I'm actually very happy with the performance so far, just a bit worried about long term effects if the temps are hovering at mid 80s a lot. But I also don't really want to stick a vacuum cleaner to the Mini, kinda beats the whole point of it ;). 

ReplyQuote
expensivefruit
(@expensivefruit)
Eminent Member

So basically, get AppleCare, run it in to the ground for 3 years and see what happens - sounds like a plan. Maybe even sell it within that period with Apple Care as it will still hold a lot of its value and maybe even upgrade to a new mini that doesn't have these thermal issues, lol.

@danhc lol @ the photos

ReplyQuote
expensivefruit
(@expensivefruit)
Eminent Member

After asking around on the macrumors forum, one gentleman has stated that using Temperature Gauge Pro he is able to manually control the Mac Mini fan to max RPM (4400) on Mojave. I believe this is a Mac only program, but if someone can run the same test on both Mojave and Windows while using Temperature Gauge Pro to max out the fan RPM in Mojave, we can then compare performance to see whether maxing out the fan RPM solves the thermal issue.

Temperature Gauge Pro

ReplyQuote
anethema
(@anethema)

If anyone on here has a 3D printer and a mac mini I would be happy to try to model something a 120mm fan would go on to increase air flow. I would need a good measurement or two but could work off that.

ReplyQuote
 of  15