Notifications
Clear all

Mac mini 2018 - Thermal management / Cooling solutions  

of  15
  RSS

Alakiha
(@alakiha)

Hi everyone!

Maybe for starter adding something like this under mini would help?

14cm fan running through 5v usb plug!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
xrim
 xrim
(@xrim)

Hi all, best solution for me (to be made), would be to put the mini outside the original apple enclosure and inside an eGPU eclosure, made on purpose to acomodate one or two GPU´s and the mac mini electronics, with proper air cooled or fanless thermal solution.

Then the mini becomes a nice miniPro.

Imagine, all inside a case like this:

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
anethema
(@anethema)

Can anyone measure the distance here:

I want the distance of the part that actually friction fits into the mac mini base. I will try modelling something that fits a 120mm fan and helps cool it that someone with a 3D printer could try out.

ReplyQuote
anethema
(@anethema)

Ok well barring an actual precise measurement, I tried to measure off of picture. CAUTION: This probably won't fit the mini properly yet.

But this should give you guys an idea of what I was trying to design:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3207891

Another view:

Just to give an idea of the first quick mockup.

The 120mm fan would slot in the bottom there, and get screwed in. The base pieces holds it up and lets air in the corners. The top of the round part would push into the existing mini base, replacing the stock base.

Comments? Suggestions?

ReplyQuote
Alakiha
(@alakiha)

Posted by: xrim

Hi all, best solution for me (to be made), would be to put the mini outside the original apple enclosure and inside an eGPU eclosure, made on purpose to acomodate one or two GPU´s and the mac mini electronics, with proper air cooled or fanless thermal solution.

Imagine, all inside a case like this:

Although by doing that you would lose all the tininess and beauty of Mac Mini but I was thinking about some similar idea! for me it would be great if I could make a custom made CPU block so I can install my own Air/Water cooler.

But maybe for now I should not get ahead of myself! step by by step!

ReplyQuote
jdstephens
(@jdstephens)

Posted by: expensivefruit

After asking around on the macrumors forum, one gentleman has stated that using Temperature Gauge Pro he is able to manually control the Mac Mini fan to max RPM (4400) on Mojave. I believe this is a Mac only program, but if someone can run the same test on both Mojave and Windows while using Temperature Gauge Pro to max out the fan RPM in Mojave, we can then compare performance to see whether maxing out the fan RPM solves the thermal issue.

Temperature Gauge Pro

I second this request please!

ReplyQuote
xrim
 xrim
(@xrim)

Yes, I know. If you need and eGPU then the "tininess and beauty of Mac Mini" is already lost.

ReplyQuote
jangoloti
(@jangoloti)
Trusted Member

Posted by: xrim

I would just do a Hackintosh in that case.

Mac Mini 2012 and 2018 i7, Mac book Pro 2016 15" with TB, eGPU Galax/KFA2

ReplyQuote
jangoloti
(@jangoloti)
Trusted Member

Posted by: Alakiha

Hi everyone!

Maybe for starter adding something like this under mini would help?

14cm fan running through 5v usb plug!

Why not a cooler blown by a big diameter fan stuck with thermally conductive paste on top of the Mac Mini itself? Being a big metal surface that is blown by the internal flow it would help (a bit) reaching the thermal load without affecting any internal components set point...

Something like this:

Mac Mini 2012 and 2018 i7, Mac book Pro 2016 15" with TB, eGPU Galax/KFA2

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

Posted by: anethema

I want the distance of the part that actually friction fits into the mac mini base. I will try modelling something that fits a 120mm fan and helps cool it that someone with a 3D printer could try out.

The base plate has a diameter of 166.7 mm. But it's not friction fit. The base plate has three non-circular holes at 2 o'clock, 6 o'clock, and 10 o'clock in your picture, that snap onto the three raised screws of the base. The hole edge is 2.65 mm from the base plate edge. hole diameter: 4.9 mm (tangent to base plate circumference) and 4.5 mm (perpendicular to base plate circumference).

The triangle edge distance for the three screws (center to center) is 136.4 mm approximately.

The hole in the bottom of the Mac Mini has a diameter of 169.0 mm. It has a depth of 3.0 mm. I think there's a curved radius of 1 mm (such that the full depth is not all 169.0 mm). The distance between the edge of the hole and the air intake holes is 10 mm.

The stem of the screw is 3.47 mm diameter. The head of the screw is 4.56 mm. Screw height 2.6 mm. Screw head height 1.3 mm. Screw stem height 1.3 mm.

The Mac mini is 197.07 mm square. A larger fan works if you go outside the base plate circle.

There are a few options for attaching your fan adapter to the mac Mini
1) Use the same snap on method as the base plate.
2) Create holes in the fan adapter for the existing screw stems (3.47 mm), then use the existing screws to attach.
3) Friction fit with the 169 mm hole - or make it loose and let gravity hold the mac Mini on top of the fan adapter.

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

goalque and itsage liked
ReplyQuote
 of  15