Mac mini 2018 - Thermal management / Cooling solutions

Notifications
Clear all

Mac mini 2018 - Thermal management / Cooling solutions  

of  15
  RSS

(@anethema)

awesome. i can do some modelling and have a printer ut wont have a mini though so would need someone else with a mini and a printer do some testing.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
expensivefruit
(@expensivefruit)
Eminent Member

Awesome work @anethema ! I do not have a 3D printer unfortunately but I did see someone on the original thread who said they had one and would be willing to give it a go. When I get my mac mini I'd be happy to send the design to a 3D print service and give it a go. Are these things usually expensive to print?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
bluetech
(@bluetech)
Eminent Member

Posted by: anethema

Can anyone measure the distance here: 

I want the distance of the part that actually friction fits into the mac mini base. I will try modelling something that fits a 120mm fan and helps cool it that someone with a 3D printer could try out.

Mac mini  2018
The Diameter is 165 mm

HexaMacMini/32Gb/512gb/10Gbit/s
...is waiting for [email protected]

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
(@anethema)

Awesome I was close! I did 165.44mm haha

bluetech liked
ReplyQuote
bluetech
(@bluetech)
Eminent Member

Yes, very very close 🙂  

At plastic 0.44mm is "noting", I guess.

ReplyQuote
expensivefruit
(@expensivefruit)
Eminent Member

For those of you who may be interested, there is a very interesting discussion on this topic in this macrumors forum with a lot of people sharing their thoughts. It gets particularly tasty around pages 3 and 4. I have three takeaways from the discussion:

a) Although it's not desirable, the CPU is designed to withstand and operate under these high temperatures and that, historically, Apple's record when it comes to CPU failures is very low (if non-existent).

b) Even if one found a DIY solution to cool the CPU, the CPU is designed (supposedly) to simply use the thermal headroom to go even faster until it reaches the ceiling again. You have to put the mini in a freezer until it eventually reached its theoretical turbo speed limit. 

c) As others on here have also suggested, just buy AppleCare. This is the best thermal solution because you're insuring the Mac Mini for 3 years even if you decide to run the god damn thing into the ground. It is also only 99 quid in the UK, which is very cheap when you consider that it is 399 for the new MBPs!

ReplyQuote
(@anethema)

That is the idea though. Right now it is only able to maintain base clocks not boost clocks. The goal isn't neccesarily to keep the CPU staying cool, but to be able to maintain higher clocks in heavy load situations for better performance.

ReplyQuote
bluetech
(@bluetech)
Eminent Member

CPU-Throttleing at i7-8700B   is only 4,7%
between idleing or normal useing before bench. 

Cooling: Less than 10 degrees is not allowed 😉

ReplyQuote
nertopia
(@nertopia)

I built my own semi-custom enclosure for the 2018 Mac Mini. I have two small fans with a manual speed controller and I turn it on when the I hit higher CPU use. Together with Apple's air cooling it runs at low temps, so I am pleased with this setup.

Next step is the eGPU... so many choices so little time.

ReplyQuote
jdstephens
(@jdstephens)

Posted by: nertopia

I built my own semi-custom enclosure for the 2018 Mac Mini. I have two small fans with a manual speed controller and I turn it on when the I hit higher CPU use. Together with Apple's air cooling it runs at low temps, so I am pleased with this setup.

Next step is the eGPU... so many choices so little time.

Are you able to show a picture of the intel power gadget with some benchmarks. Would like to see the same tests with and without your custom setup running.
Of course a photo of what you’ve done would be much appreciated

bluetech liked
ReplyQuote
 of  15