Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
Mac mini 2018 - Thermal management / Cooling solutions

Mac mini 2018 - Thermal management / Cooling solutions  

of  4
  RSS

dufreyne
(@dufreyne)

I bet it does. I also think that replacing stock RAM modules could be also a reason to void your warranty (if they find it out)

Macmini 2018 Core i7 32GB RAM

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

You don’t void the manufacturer warranty by replacing the RAM modules or reapplying the thermal paste on a Mac. The only scenario in which Apple can invalidate your warranty is when they can determine the changes you made to the system directly cause issues.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
dufreyne
(@dufreyne)

in which country? Is there a proof document?

Macmini 2018 Core i7 32GB RAM

ReplyQuote
howgoodminiiii
(@howgoodminiiii)

what has been the conclusion of this op? and this topic?

this is for that person that understands what this thread is about well

so it seems that the op thinking that the mini does not run 'optimally' due to the design of the fans?

and because of this, the mini has decreased speed. if the mini has decreased speed, what is the % decreased speed? 

because without knowing how much effect, or the impact the decreased speed from 'optimality' the decreased speed is having

then there's no meaningful results to be gain without knowing exactly how it much it matters or doesnt matter

anyhow what has been the conclusion of this op? and this topic?

could just put into a new, much cleaner post, and just link it here

This post was modified 10 months ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
dia3olik
(@dia3olik)

Posted by: itsage

You don't void the manufacturer warranty by replacing the RAM modules or reapplying the thermal paste on a Mac.

Are you sure about the paste?

MM2018 + XG Station Pro + RX580/Vega 56

ReplyQuote
wimpzilla
(@wimpzilla)
Honorable Member

Posted by: howgoodminiiii

what has been the conclusion of this op? and this topic?

this is for that person that understands what this thread is about well

so it seems that the op thinking that the mini does not run 'optimally' due to the design of the fans?

and because of this, the mini has decreased speed. if the mini has decreased speed, what is the % decreased speed? 

because without knowing how much effect, or the impact the decreased speed from 'optimality' the decreased speed is having

then there's no meaningful results to be gain without knowing exactly how it much it matters or doesnt matter

anyhow what has been the conclusion of this op? and this topic?

could just put into a new, much cleaner post, and just link it here

There is no conclusion, replace the thermal paste and just DIY a custom cooling solutions as shown, if you think it's needed.

The Mac mini 2018 cooling system is not suited to deal with the new i5 cpu's (old i7), without even mention new i7/i9, it is a fact!
It's only an issues if one use the machine to its full extent, for hard professional workloads.
Not an issue at all for customers that use it as classy furniture.

Nothing more, nothing less.

This post was modified 10 months ago

2012 13-inch Dell Latitude E6320 + R9 [email protected] (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win10
E=Mc²

ReplyQuote
hornedfrog
(@hornedfrog)
Trusted Member

You can run your car stock or you can hot rod it and increase performance.  Same here.

Mac mini 2018/i7/1TB/32GB RAM
Sonnet Breakaway Box 650W. Sapphire Vega 64 - (21275-03-20G card)
OWC Thunderbolt 3 14 port hub
AKiTiO Node Duo, 1 x Patriot Scorch M.2 512G SSD PCI-E 3.0 x 2 drive.

ReplyQuote
Digital Corpus
(@digital-corpus)

I know I’n new here so please bear with me. This is my 3rd Mac mini, the only real thread I have found online regarding the thermal design, and I know at some time this year, I’ll likely pick up an eGPU.

I knew of the thermal performance issues from reviews before I got my mini, and its configured with an i7 and a 2 TB SSD and gigabit NIC. I’ve deliberately set out to analyse and possibly fix the thermal solution that Apple has created for this machine. All of my work and notes will be free. Through the advent of 3D printing and open source CAD, I strongly feel a DIY aftermarket solution is viable. If anyone wishes to comment, or help me test, please contact me. My progresss will remain available here:
https://hackaday.io/project/162873

This post was modified 9 months ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

jangoloti, itsage, hornedfrog and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@yesornofei)

just a think out of the box idea:

can I DIY a water cooled mac mini with the settings like this?

the tube is thin enough to go though the gap of the air exhaust,

if you use egpu anyway,

there should be space on your desk to place a water cool reservoir and radiator too.

This post was modified 8 months ago

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Squuiid
(@squuiid)

Anyone having problems with the built-in Aquantia 10GbE chip overheating in Windows 10 1903 (BootCamp)?
Mine disables itself after a few minutes of use. Event viewer shows:

Event ID: 19
Aquantia AQtion 10Gbit Network Adapter: Hardware overheat detected! Please power cycle the system.

A reboot doesn't do it, I have to power it off and on again to restore network connectivity.
Works fine in macOS however.

IMG 1397
IMG 1396
IMG 1398

This post was modified 4 months ago

Mac mini 2018, i7 3.2GHz 6c, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 10GbE, Sonnet eGFX + NVIDIA GTX 1080FE, macOS Catalina
Mac Pro 2010, X5690 3.46GHz 6c, 64GB RAM, Amfeltec 3x XP941 512GB, Sapphire Pulse RX 580 8GB, Intel X540-T1 10GbE, Allegro Pro USB 3.0, AC/BT 4.2, macOS Mojave

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@squuiid Sorry to hear. I’d recommend running a utility like HWiNFO64 and see if you can keep a log of the 10GbE chipset. If it keeps overheating, contact Apple for repair/replacement.

@yesornofei That looks cool but will definitely be a maintenance nightmare. I would rather mod the 2018 Mac mini logic board to reside in a larger case with more airflow.

This post was modified 4 months ago

Squuiid liked
ReplyQuote
Squuiid
(@squuiid)

The workaround to this overheating is to use MacsFanControl app in macOS and set the fan speed to 2800rpm or so. The setting gets saved in SMC so when you go into BootCamp the fans kick in and keep things nice and cool, as they should do. Fortunately 2800rpm its barely audible.

Mac mini 2018, i7 3.2GHz 6c, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 10GbE, Sonnet eGFX + NVIDIA GTX 1080FE, macOS Catalina
Mac Pro 2010, X5690 3.46GHz 6c, 64GB RAM, Amfeltec 3x XP941 512GB, Sapphire Pulse RX 580 8GB, Intel X540-T1 10GbE, Allegro Pro USB 3.0, AC/BT 4.2, macOS Mojave

Mini i5 liked
ReplyQuote
flink
(@flink)

Mesmerized by @megaseppl, both on the mac mini and his home automation. Respect!

I've done something similar with EurekaMaru, my mac mini. Resting on top of a Razer Core X (still waiting for it's graphics card what with the AMD releases and all), I designed and 3D printed a support for the machine, and a Core X matching 120mm fan support.

This post was modified 3 months ago

Mac mini 2018 i7 atop a Razer Core X, awaiting a graphics card.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
zhangd116
(@zhangd116)

For those of you have a 3D printer, print this: M3 Mac Mini Mount by EidolonNight (print this if the whole model doesn't fit on the build plate of your printer)
and put a 140mm fan blowing upwards (with the bottom cap removed), it works great on mine and I am seeing roughly 6-10 C drop while playing GW2.

2018 Mac Mini i7 with AMD Radeon RX 580 in Akitio Node

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)

Macsfancontrol app works well for me. Thanks to @squuiid for the tip. Don't know who at Apple mandated a lazy cooling profile for the new Mini. Maybe that person esteems the silence of the 2013 cylinder Mac Pro as ideal. Ah, about that... actually, a melty-to-the-touch Mac Mini is somewhat alarming. Clearly more so than whisper fan noise. Mac Mini workstation, Braun kitchen appliance - two distinct apparatus here in 2019. Not much clamoring to converge the two. Just my input.   

Anyway, using the app, I re-profiled the Mini's internal fan to calmly ramp up gradually between 50 and 68 degrees Celsius. Instead of, you know, drunk-lurching into action around 99 degrees - the way Apple's fan profile does. (Not to point fingers or anything). Then to test the app's effectiveness - I ran a dozen YouTube K-Pop videos in 4K. IN CHROME. (Noooooo! Melty, melty. Aluminum enclosure-infused grilled cheese sandwich, anyone?)

So...what's the result? Ta-Da! Happy days! Now my beloved non-Braun, wholly-Apple, mini desktop product remains...slightly above room temperature. No matter how much K-Pop karaoke I throw at it. Okay, my Korean may not be the greatest, but the fan in the Mac Mini is now really effective. 

And yes, modifying the fan profile did increase performance in my typical work-flow. For example, I tested a four and a half minute CPU-only render in Maya 2019 for Mac, loading all 6 cores to 50-60%. According to Intel Power Gadget for Mac, my i5 processor now maintains a 3.9 GHz clock speed, even slightly above, throughout the render. I'm pretty sure that's as fast as any 8th generation i5 chip will go when utilizing all 6 cores. This is exciting. I had never seen my Mac Mini maintain that speed before. Now it does. 

With similar fan profiling, I wonder how fast the i7 Mini, and the i9 iMac can go?

This post was modified 2 months ago

2018 Mac Mini i5 / 6-core 3.0-4.1 Ghz / 32GB / 256GB / Intel UHD 630

hornedfrog and itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Rdewael
(@rdewael)

What a wonderful topic!
i feel less alone now.
I bought a 2018 Mini one month ago.
I7, 512 Ssd,10 gig ethernet, 64 gig OWC ram ( installed by myself with iFixit tools )
3 screen with Akitio display port splitter, the third one plugged Hvmi. 
Run very well. 
Love the Mini since my late 2012 i7, 6 years old now, and running always fine despite the 16 gig ram limitation.
And yes, even in sleep mode, the beast is very hot.
I have a fan in front of it with external varispeed, but this stuff is so ugly :/
So I’v ordered a 140 mm Noctua fan, the Glory Blow Hole is stunning 😉 
Gonna mimick it ...

Mini 2018 / i7 / 512 ssd / 10 gigabyte Ethernet / 64 gig OWC ram / Akitio Tb3 to 2 displayport / ext Akitio enclosure for ssd.

ReplyQuote
(@yesornofei)

@squuiid

I did test the MacsFanControl , but even if i set the fan to constant 4400 rpm(max you can set),
reboot to carry the fan speed to bootcamp win 10(checked with my hand on the air exhaust),
the CPU temp are still in 4x C at idle, and 99 C soon when I run the benchmark in XTU app, still throttling a lot in temp.

P.S. I have the i7 mac mini 2018

ReplyQuote
Rdewael
(@rdewael)

To Sebastian Krampe : 
Thanx again for your post.
About the heat in sleep mode, I had power nap on. 
I did’nt check that, it was on by default since my 2018 have Mojave stock. 
On my 2012, Hi Sierra, it was off.
Althought there is a big usb 3 hub connected, now the temperature in sleep mode is very cool.

Since I’m building a Glory Blow stuff ( I’post pics when finish ) I wonder if it’s safe to take the plastic bottom away ?
Does it disturb the air flow design ?
I wonder .... 

Mini 2018 / i7 / 512 ssd / 10 gigabyte Ethernet / 64 gig OWC ram / Akitio Tb3 to 2 displayport / ext Akitio enclosure for ssd.

ReplyQuote
zooli
(@zooli)
Eminent Member

@baupfhor

Does the CPU still throttle with new thermal paste applied? 

Also, I've just found this: https://www.speed-designs.com/speed-mac-mini-cooling-base

Neat, but damn expensive (and doesn't say whether the fan is replaceable).

I've found a review:

The fan is replaceable, but it's 80mm and no dust filter and slippery plastic feet and the whole product looks kinda DIY raw - all in all I wouldn't pay 150$ for this, but the concept is pretty neat.

And then this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32963689468.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.475c167ePo8u3i&algo_pvid=2ee1f144-d658-449f-86af-00e17b9aa882&algo_expid=2ee1f144-d658-449f-86af-00e17b9aa882-4&btsid=75746763-9dda-45bc-9971-9a137d24a177&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_3,searchweb201603_52

Less elegant, but at least the price is right and it's 120mm, with double sided glue tape it even holds the mini without the base on, probably:D

The real thing would be an SMC controlled fan base, but I guess it's not possible for third parties, let alone for DIY-ers.

This post was modified 2 weeks ago

2012 Mac mini i7 2.6Ghz . 16GB RAM . 500GB SSD . 1TB HDD . Razer Core X . Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+ SE . DVI 60Hz monitor . MacOS 10.14.6 . Windows 10 LTSC 1809

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

The Mac mini footprint is large enough to accommodate a 200mm cooling fan. You can get an adapter to power the fan through USB port. If you were to use an eGPU, you can get one large enough to fit the Mac mini inside or attach it outside.

This post was modified 2 weeks ago

ReplyQuote
 of  4