Share:

Mac mini 2018 // Vega 56 // 144hz – flickering?  

RSS

(@dende_zwolf)
February 11, 2019 11:17 am  

Hey!

I have the following setup:
_Mac mini 2018, i7, Mojave 10.14.2
_Sonnet Breakaway 550 with Sapphire Pulse Vega 56
_Acer VG270UP via Displayport 

It really runs very smooth all in all. The only issue I have is if set the refresh rate to 144hz in Mac OS (just via preferences>monitor), I get pretty hard flickering, mostly horizontal Lines constisting of fine vertical Lines. It is reduced to a minimum when I set the refresh rate to 120hz (only aapearing unregularly about once every 30 seconds) and stops if I set it to 60hz. 

I tried various things, like turning on and off Freesync, different ports etc. I bought SwitchresX. But nothing helped so far. 

Since I use my setup for a lot of gaming in Mac OS (mostly Blizzard Games) it really is an annoying problem because 144hz is a nice thing to have in games. 

Do you have any idea how I could possibly solve the problem or at least what the reason for this is?

Bis THANKS in advance!

This topic was modified 2 months ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
February 11, 2019 1:57 pm  

macOS has always struggled with high refresh rate monitors. Since there's no support for G-Sync and FreeSync in macOS, I'd say turn it off then try again. Does your monitor have DP version switching?

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

94 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
(@dende_zwolf)
February 11, 2019 3:01 pm  

Thanks for your answer. It has, between 1.1 and 1.2., but if I choose 1.1 it does not give me the 120 or 144 hz options at all and just runs ar 60 hz. Turning on and off Freesync in the internal monitor menu doesn t change a thing.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote