Mac Pro 2013 starts and load but no video, add eGpu can help me?

Notifications
Clear all

Mac Pro 2013 starts and load but no video, add eGpu can help me?  

RSS

Rolando Morales
(@rolando_morales)

Hello !! I got a problem with my Mac Pro 2013, two days ago I just start it and the computer makes the chime and load all the system but I don’t receive video signal. Check everything relative to adaptors and cables. Loads my Apollo Thunderbolt audio interface and I can open some audio files on my desktop, (playing with the keyboard randomly) and sounds, also open some video files but no image, nothing, even the Apple logo on startup.

Can I connect a eGpu and solve this issue? Or maybe someone had the same problem before and can help... 

Thanks in advance 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@rolando_morales, Unless you have screen sharing or remote desktop access, it will not be possible to enable eGPU feature. If you suspect the GPU-B card is failing, my recommendation is to take the Mac Pro apart and give it a good clean. If you don't have a rework station, you can wrap the GPU-B in foil and bake it in the oven (at 375 degrees F for 10 minutes). Let it cure for a few hours before putting the computer back together. I had early signs of failure on my own nMP and reflow the card to make it work again. I've been using an eGPU since and things are going well.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2013 Mac Pro (FP D500 x2) [3rd,12C,E] + RX 5700 XT @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Mantiz Saturn Pro) + macOS 11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Rolando Morales
(@rolando_morales)

Hi !!! Thanks so much for your advice itsage 

I recently talk to a friend for making a reflow to the cards and he is afraid to do it on Mac Pro coz never did it before (don’t know why, maybe my knowledge don’t let me see more but for me is another GPU card...maybe I’m wrong) but after reading your advice for sure I will do it...

If you have another tip for specially reflow those cards I will appreciate it

Thanks again !! 
Greetings from Havana, Cuba 🇨🇺 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Rolando Morales
(@rolando_morales)

@itsagelook what I finally found...The Mac Pro gives me a red led error on I/O card with the GPU2 and was a Mezzanine connector issue...

Finally and with the help of a needle and a lot of patience I can solve the problem...

Check this...

This post was modified 2 weeks ago

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@rolando_morales, Great work spotting that tiny bent pin. The flex cables and connectors going to the bottom mainboard is fairly delicate. I'm glad you got the the root of the problem.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2013 Mac Pro (FP D500 x2) [3rd,12C,E] + RX 5700 XT @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Mantiz Saturn Pro) + macOS 11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote