Macbook Pro 13" 2015 + RX 570 + Razer Core X Underwhelming Performance with inte...

Notifications
Clear all

Macbook Pro 13" 2015 + RX 570 + Razer Core X Underwhelming Performance with internal display  

RSS

Matthew Nainggolan
(@matthew_nainggolan)

Hello, first time eGPU user here. After trying to decide whether it's a good idea to build an eGPU setup for my Macbook Pro 13" 2015 I finally pulled the trigger and bought a Razer Core X with RX 570 as my graphics card of choice. Here's the complete detail of my setup.

13" Macbook Pro 2015
Razer Core X enclosure
HIS RX 570 4GB
TB3>TB2 Adaptor
Internal display via 2.0 m Thunderbolt 2 cable

Now, I haven't got my hands on a display monitor since I thought that the performance drop wasn't going to be significant compared to having the GPU plugged to an external display. But to my surprise, playing GTA V on Very High Settings at 1080p only yields to 26-35 fps, meanwhile lowering to Normal doesnt signficantly improve performance, but I noticed by lowering resolution to 1366x768 I can play at 30-40 fps, and even then its still not enough for a mid spec Graphics card.

Is connecting my egpu to an external display the absolute answer for performance gain? And if so will it significantly improve it. Any advice is much appreciated.

For further reference here's my benchmark results, with RX 570 @ 1400 MHz

Benchmark

Unigine Heaven 4.0 (Extreme Presets)

uheaven extreme rx 570 tuning 1400 min

Unigine Superposition (1080p Extreme)

Superposition Benchmark v1.1 1971 1400 mhz min

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
mr.ribeiro
(@mr-ribeiro)
Trusted Member

I noticed that Macbook pro 13 2015, don't have a quad core processor option to buy, only dual core. Perhaps the low fps is caused by processor "i think". Because GTA V is a CPU Bound game and it could be the bottleneck of the RX 570.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Matthew Nainggolan
(@matthew_nainggolan)

@mr-ribeiro, true, it is only a dual core (4 thread) processor, and I was going to dismiss it on that. But then I saw this egpu benchmark on a 2013 Macbook Air (also a dual core) having no problem running GTA V at 40-60 fps 1080p. Maybe running on an external display is that significant for performance?

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member Moderator

@matthew_nainggolan, have you tried setting your graphics options to "use high performance gpu" in windows? 

This is just a random screen grab of the feature, you should have RX570 under "high performance" option.

graphics performance

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Matthew Nainggolan
(@matthew_nainggolan)

@eightarmedpet, yes I made sure it was in high performance and the RX 570 does run. Otherwise, the intel iris 6100 could barely run GTA V on 800x600. 

Maybe it's the best idea to upgrade to an i7 powered laptop with Thunderbolt 3 support.

This post was modified 4 months ago

ReplyQuote