MacBook Pro 17" late 2011 and EXP GDC 8.5c w/expresscard and PCIe limit

Notifications
Clear all

MacBook Pro 17" late 2011 and EXP GDC 8.5c w/expresscard and PCIe limit  

RSS

Will Burton
(@will_burton)

I've been working with the exp gdc for a few months now.  Upgrading video cards as I go or what I can find.

So far, I've used EVGA 750Ti.  Which work well and was pretty painless.  Then I got the Sapphire Radeon Pulse RX 580 8GB. I also got this card working but the performance was disappointing to say the least. I dual boot High Sierra and Windows 10. But the RX 580 was hit or miss.  Seeing that I wasn't happy with the performance.  I decided to try another card. I managed to find a EVGA Geforce 1060 SSC 6GB.  I was able to get this card working in both Mac and Windows.  I've also was running tests and benchmarks with these cards. I was thinking how far can I push the PCIe limit.  I managed to find without breaking the bank a EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 11GB and get it to work in Mac and Windows too.

Since, NVIDA Series 10 cards are the highest I can go because of drivers.  The only other solution would be to add another partition and install Mojave then having to go AMD.

The question is?  What's the PCIe limit?  Have I already reached that limit?

CUDAZ

Here's a snapshot of CUDA-Z? Can I push it even more?

I'm assuming that Device to Device is what I'm pushing on the PCIe.

Also, I can seem to find something on the Windows side to see device to device.

Suggestions and comments welcome and any advice.

TIA

MacBook Pro 17" Late 2011 i7-2860QM 2.5ghz, EXP GDC Beast 8.5c Expresscard /34, EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 11GB FTW3, EVGA 850 G5 Power Supply - always on - hotplug expresscard, Mac OS X High Sierra 10.13.6 dual boot Windows 10 - error 43 fix patch

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

Your 4Gbps/Gen2 capable system is running at 2Gbps/Gen1 speed as per https://egpu.io/builds#perf

From https://egpu.io/forums/expresscard-mpcie-m-2-adapters/mpcieecngff-m2-resolving-detection-bootup-and-stability-problems/

The eGPU works but performance is poor, stuttering

Proceed to optimize your configuration by:

1. Attach an external LCD instead of accelerated internal LCD mode (Optimus) to ensure bandwidth is dedicated to eGPU rather than display rendering traffic. There display traffic goes straight out to the HDMI/DP/DVI connector.

2. Disable the eGPU audio device and use the notebook inbuilt speaker. Again to ensure the bandwidth is dedicated for eGPU traffic.

3. Ensure your link is running in Gen2 mode (2nd-5th Gen i-core) or Gen3 8Gbps (6th Gen i-core or newer).

In GPU-Z click the "?" next to Bus Interface to perform a render test. This will take the eGPU out of lower power x1 1.1 Gen1 mode and (usually) switch to x1 2.0 (Gen2) mode. If it still remains in x1 1.1 mode then you can uprate your link from Gen1 to Gen2 using BIOS options or nando's eGPU Setup 1.35

4. Set NVidia Inspector 'Frame Rater Limiter V2' to 59 or 60Hz, matching your external LCD. This will prevent the eGPU rendering redundant images.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M.2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 1803 // compares M.2 vs TB3 performance inc unoptimized H-CPU BIOS [build link]  

ReplyQuote