Notifications
Clear all

MacBook Pro 2020 "No removable GPU"  

RSS

GilloGillo
(@gillogillo)

I just bought an HP Omen Accelerator Box and tried it out together with my Radeon HD 7870 ( https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/xfx-double-radeon-hd-7870-ghz-edition-1787409135 ).

When I connect the eGpu to my MacBook Pro (2020, 13" base version with i5 8th gen, running macOS 11.1 (20C69)) using the thunderbolt cable, the eGpu icon pops up in the status bar but when I click on it it says "no removable GPU". Also I can't find any gpu in the activity monitor.

The fans of the Radeon 7870 are spinning and everything looks normal, but as I described it is not being recognised by my system.

How can I fix this? Does anyone have a clue? I would REALLY appreciate help 🙁

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@gillogillo, Older Radeon graphics card may not have support for use through external graphics. Take a look at Purge-Wrangler and choose Legacy AMD card support to see if that helps.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 Gigabyte Z490 Vision D [10th,8C,K] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
GilloGillo
(@gillogillo)

@itsage, Where can I find the list of purge wrangler supported gpus? And what if I use this script and use another gpu in the future, will it cause problems?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@gillogillo, There's no list. You'd have to try these older cards with the script and see if it works.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 Gigabyte Z490 Vision D [10th,8C,K] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote