Macbook Pro + Aorus 1080 + Oculus problems (USB related?)  

joehoyle
(@joehoyle)
December 26, 2017 12:56 am  

Hey All,

I’ve had the Aurus 1080 working a for a few weeks for normal gaming under boot camp on a 13inch TouchBar Macbook Pro. I just got an Oculus and seeing some pretty annoying issues that is preventing it working. The crux of the issue is connectivity. Because (reasons) only the 2 left hand side thunderbolt ports are usable (Error 12 etc if trying to use right hand ones), I only have 1 tree tb3 port which is given to ONE Oculus sensor via a tb3 -> usb adaptor.

This leaves me trying to put the HDMI, headset USB and 2nd sensor USB into the Aorus gaming box, which is causing issues. During the Oculus set up I see many intermittent warnings of USB2 speeds for the sensors, and when I am able to struggle through that, the responsiveness of the headset is incredibly janky. This has lead me to believe the USB ports on the Aorus are seriously under served in terms of bandwidth. Having more than one USB device plugged in to it makes the Oculus set up wizard recognize the connection as USB2 as opposed to USB3.

I would ignore the USB ports on the Gigabyte Aorus, but as I have no other ports available (2 our of action, 1 with a USB adapter) I don’t have much alternative. From what I can see there’s been no firmware update from Gigabyte since the 1080’s release, so I’m not sure what else I can try.

Edited: 2 months  ago

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Noble Member Admin
December 26, 2017 1:55 am  

When I was trying the Oculus, I recall the sensors worked most stable when connected to separate USB hubs. I ended up connecting one sensor USB cable to the eGPU and the other sensor USB cable to an USB-to-USB-C adapter on the other side of the MacBook Pro. That made the setup work reliably.

Numerous implementation guides

ReplyQuote
joehoyle
(@joehoyle)
December 26, 2017 3:29 am  
Posted by: theitsage

When I was trying the Oculus, I recall the sensors worked most stable when connected to separate USB hubs. I ended up connecting one sensor USB cable to the eGPU and the other sensor USB cable to an USB-to-USB-C adapter on the other side of the MacBook Pro. That made the setup work reliably.

Hmm, at least for me I can’t use any of the ports on the opposite side (right hand side) of my macbook as the eGPU will not start (Code 43 in device manager). Were you using a 13inch MBP?

ReplyQuote

Working

Please Login or Register