MacBook Pro with 5700 eGPU and a 49" Curved Gaming Monitor Odyssey G9

Notifications
Clear all

MacBook Pro with 5700 eGPU and a 49" Curved Gaming Monitor Odyssey G9  

RSS

flight505
(@flight505)

Hey so I am working on a G9 and one of the small little quirks is that when a run the G9 in the custom resolution I get these little jigs every sec. another problem is HDR when I set the MacBook in HDR the monitor get this grey overlay that dimmes the brightness but colours remain vibrant. I know this is a common problem with HDR it is usually solved on PC by changing the colour profile directly in the graphic card software - not an option on mac? 

I would be interested in hearing from others that have run ultrawide through eGPU on mac. 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@flight505, HDR overlay is a macOS issue, eGPU will not change it. The jig/flicker issue may be due to cable/adapter. Which Mac are you using?

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 15" HP Spectre X360 [11th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
flight505
(@flight505)

@itsage,  the jig flicker came when I went over the 5120 X 1440. So mac osx allow me to set in 2x 2560 X 720 but also allows me to go higher. This causes problems. I can also set 120hz on the mac but not for HDR which changes it back to 60hz

The MacBook pro is a 13´late 2019. 

Actually, after playing with resolution the MacBook stopped going into clamshell mode. I had to delete several files to fix it. And I noted that is I turn on "adaptive" on the monitor I start having problems with clamshell mode. I think "adaptive" is G-sync - perhaps not supported on a 5700 graphics card? 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@flight505, Don't use any FreeSync modes in the monitor settings for macOS. G-Sync and FreeSync only work in Windows. I don't rely on macOS to change resolutions of monitors either. My recommendation is SwitchResX.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 15" HP Spectre X360 [11th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote