Setup & Software Discussions
MacBookPro (13” 2017 Touch Bar) + Sonnet 650W + GIGABYTE VEGA RX 64 OC GAMING 8G

MacBookPro (13” 2017 Touch Bar) + Sonnet 650W + GIGABYTE VEGA RX 64 OC GAMING 8G  

RSS

skarhen
(@skarhen)

Hi all!

I recently purchased a Sonnet 650W with a Gigabyte RX Vega 64 OC Gaming 8G GPU with a Macbook pro 13 "touchbar 2017. I have a number of problems:

The internal display: macOS recognizes the GPU but the applications do not start, they keep loading and looks blocked. To eject the GPU from the menu is also blocked. Also, the activity monitor stop working when the eGPU is connected. Furthermore, when I connect the eGPU the fan velocity is high and in many times  the computer freezes.

The external display connected by HDMI through the GPU is black.

My Mac:
MacBookPro14,2 (13-inch, 2017, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
Intel Core i5 (3,1 GHz)
Version 10.14.2 (18C54)
Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB

My eGPU:
Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box 650W 
Gigabyte Radeon RX VEGA 64 Gaming OC 8GB

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
skarhen
(@skarhen)

UPDATE
Looks like deactivating FileVault the GPU is now working  :-). However, the HDMi ports aren't working and nowadays I'm waiting my new LG screen (which has DisplayPort) that's the reason why I didn't tested the DP yet.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@skarhen All components in your setup have native eGPU support in macOS 10.14. I’m not sure why you need to run Purge-Wrangler. Your issue might have been with FileVault. I would recommend to uninstall Purge-Wrangler and keep FileVault disabled then check whether the RX Vega 64 eGPU would work.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
skarhen
(@skarhen)

You are right. Purge-Wrangler deactivated and still works. Nevertheless, the HDMI isn't working trough the GPU. (Same cable and display works if it's connected directly to the Mac, still wonder what could be happen...) 

Thanks for your help @itsage

ReplyQuote
ed_co
(@ed_co)
Reputable Member

I think maybe you have something installed in your system which is causing undesirable behaviour... just clean that up, or start from scratch.

mid-2017 Macbook Pro RP560 + MSI GTX 1080Ti Gaming [email protected] (Mantiz Venus) + macOS10.13 & Win10

ReplyQuote
skarhen
(@skarhen)

UPDATE
The computer has been formatted to Mojave 10.14.2, the GPU still doesn't recognize the display in any of the three HDMI ports of the eGPU. In addition, the eGPU has been tested in an Imac 5K (Late 2017 Mojave version 10.14.1) and the display is not recognized either. (Despite that, both devices recognized the AMD RX VEGA 64)
In both systems the eGPU has been connected to the computer already on. When I try to open "About this mac"  the computer remains loading without opening it successfully; it is only able to open the "settings" menu. In that sense, in the "displays tab" inside the settings menu, I try to select the display that is connected through HDMI port but nothing appears (Actually, the display is connected to the GPU but nothing shows in this menu). Furthermore,  "Activity Monitor", "Itunes", "AppStore", "Calendars"  "About This Mac Menu"and "Finder" don't open and stay loading until the end with the annoying "Spinning Wheel" icon: Once in this state, I try to disconnect the eGPU from the menu bar but it doesn't disconnect, finally I pull of the TB3 of the computer manually and the system freezes. If I don't open any application I can disconnect safely the eGPU from the menu, I can also do it when I only open "Settings", if I try to open another application ("Activity Monitor", " Itunes "," AppStore "," Calendars "and" Finder ") I will not be able to safely remove the eGPU from the menu. Finally, it happens to me in both systems (Imac 5k and MacBook 13 "TouchBar), when I try to start the computer with the eGPU already connected, the Mac freezes and can't overcome the loading bar.

ReplyQuote
ed_co
(@ed_co)
Reputable Member

1) Have you tried in all the TB3 ports in Macbook pro?
2) Have you tried in all the HDMI and Displayports?
3) Have you tried the previous 2 questions in the iMac 5K?
4) Have you tried to use your TB3 cases with other graphics card?
5) Have you tried your graphics card in as internal card in a PC/hackintosh/mac pro?
6) Have you tried to use it in the internal monitor using a dummy dongle? Like this one for example:
https://www.amazon.es/emulador-pantalla-gesti%C3%B3n-Windows-teamviewer/dp/B07C4V2GCP/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1545326949&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=hdmi+dummy&psc=1

mid-2017 Macbook Pro RP560 + MSI GTX 1080Ti Gaming [email protected] (Mantiz Venus) + macOS10.13 & Win10

ReplyQuote
Jyin
 Jyin
(@jyin)
Estimable Member

Make sure your GPU is seated well.
You should hear a faint ‘click’, as the securing tab at end of PCI slot snaps in.

I had this happen to me once. All I had to do was remove the GPU, reseat it in the PCI slot firmly and everything started to work.

J

2017 iMac 5k 27inch RP580 TB3 + Vega FE/LC + Sonnet 550 + EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 ULTRA GAMING + Sonnet 550 + Mac/Win10

ed_co liked
ReplyQuote
skarhen
(@skarhen)

Posted by: Jyin

Make sure your GPU is seated well.
You should hear a faint ‘click’, as the securing tab at end of PCI slot snaps in.

I had this happen to me once. All I had to do was remove the GPU, reseat it in the PCI slot firmly and everything started to work.

J

Everything is well connected. I have disassembled and reassembled the egpu several times carefully regarding to its placement in the PCI slot.  

Thank you for your help guys.

Posted by: ed_co

1) Have you tried in all the TB3 ports in Macbook pro?
2) Have you tried in all the HDMI and Displayports?
3) Have you tried the previous 2 questions in the iMac 5K?
4) Have you tried to use your TB3 cases with other graphics card?
5) Have you tried your graphics card in as internal card in a PC/hackintosh/mac pro?
6) Have you tried to use it in the internal monitor using a dummy dongle? Like this one for example:
https://www.amazon.es/emulador-pantalla-gesti%C3%B3n-Windows-teamviewer/dp/B07C4V2GCP/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1545326949&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=hdmi+dummy&psc=1

1) I Did it
2) Only HDMI
3) Yes, but only the HDMI
4) No I didn't. I haven't more GPU's
5) No
6) No

Two questions:
a) What is your OS / version; for example: Mojave 10.14, High Sierra 10.13.6... ?
b) Are you using the official TB3 cable or the enclosure's one?

I'm reading a thread that mentions similar problems to mine but on Windows systems. Could my GPU be defective? They talk about errors very similar to mine: black screens with HDMI, desktop freeze ...

The link of the thread.

ReplyQuote
ed_co
(@ed_co)
Reputable Member

a) Mojave 10.4.2
b) The Mantiz Venus' cable
Do you want my Mantiz Venus? I am selling it... Lo tendrías en casa de un día para otro. Impecable funcionamiento 

This post was modified 10 months ago

ReplyQuote
skarhen
(@skarhen)

UPDATE
Definitely I returned the gigabyte rx 64 Gaming OC 8GB. Too many problems with my Mac and in many forums is explained that this GPU (Vega 65 and 56) comes factory defective most of the times. The store gave me the reason about the defects of the GPU and I have requested a replacement for the Sapphire Nitro + Radeon RX Vega64 8GB HBM2 which runs perfectly with the sonnet 650w as is said in this post. For future readers of ths thread, I definitely do not recommend the Gigabyte RX Vega 64 Gaming OC 8GB: too risky.

ReplyQuote
ed_co
(@ed_co)
Reputable Member

It works perfect in my Mantiz Venus and without any single problem, not risky at all. It is just noisy, but as most of the VEGAs...
But obviously yours, could be defective, but don't say risky, as you are not right to say it. Make sure your TB3 case is fine... otherwise you will repeat the situation with another card...

ReplyQuote
ed_co
(@ed_co)
Reputable Member

Changed to a Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 64 (because the gigabyte was REALLY noisy), which still noisy but better... Pretty good so far.
And fits in the Mantiz with no modding!!

ReplyQuote