Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
MacOS AMD RX5700(XT) OpenCL possible?

MacOS AMD RX5700(XT) OpenCL possible?  

RSS

metallus97
(@metallus97)

Hey I am new here and want to get myself a Core X for my MBP 2018 13inch 4core.

I need the eGPU for Gaming and openCk compute. I do BOINC crowd computing (see here https://boinc.berkeley.edu ). 
With MacOS 10.15.1 support for AMD RDNA was added; wich is the architecture the 5700(XT) is based on. However on windows there are huge problems with the OpenCl driver being (still!) basically broken. I cant find any information on if this is also the case on MacOS. Does anyone of you have more info about that or has already a RDNA eGPU on a Mac and is able to verify that OpenCl is working properly?

Thank you very much!

P.S.: Awesome site for getting into the topic of eGPU! 

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
(@megaseppl)

Which BOINC Project are you supporting? As far as I see, not all support GPU calculations. I have tried [email protected] -> no GPU support, same for [email protected]

I missed one setting. I had to select "Control" in menu -> "Always use GPU". Now it works with my Radeon 5700 XT
(menu names might be different, I'm using the German version)

Bildschirmfoto 2019 11 13 um 20.07.42
This post was modified 4 weeks ago

Mac mini 2018 i7, Razer Core X with PowerColor Red Devil 5700 XT

ReplyQuote
wimpzilla
(@wimpzilla)
Honorable Member

As far as i really like BOINC and shared computation projects, i would not advice to run such intensive tasks for extended periods of time on laptops or light devices.
If you are invested in such projects, the bets is to build a simple dedicated computing station, with a well ventilated cheap desktop tower.
Ryzen 1st gen are pretty cheap, a R5 1600x, motherboard combo with a Vega/5700 is a good efficient cheap setup.

This post was modified 4 weeks ago

2012 13-inch Dell Latitude E6320 + R9 [email protected] (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win10
E=Mc²

ReplyQuote
metallus97
(@metallus97)

@megaseppl

Ok, nice! Thank you! 

How is the performance compared to a internal GPU in Windows and wich GPU Dock are you using with your XT?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
metallus97
(@metallus97)

@wimpzilla

SURE dude! This is why I only use the internal GPU and not the CPU to BOINC. I know that full power 24/7 is not cool for a Laptop.

I need the eGPU for gaming and work (I do video editing and effects stuf). The left over time or times where I do casual stuf on my Mac I want to be able to contribute BOINC power 

ReplyQuote