MBP 15" 2018 + Razer Core X + Vega 64 + LG 5k Monitor?

Notifications
Clear all

MBP 15" 2018 + Razer Core X + Vega 64 + LG 5k Monitor?  

RSS

dinosaysrawr
(@dinosaysrawr)

So here's my eGPU setup:

15" MBP 2018 + Razer Core X + Vega 64

For more than a year I've been happily using the above setup with two cheap Samsung 4k monitors (DisplayPort), but today I got a LG Ultrafine 5K monitor that Apple sells and would love to use it with my eGPU setup.

As everyone knows, LG 5K is thunderbolt 3 display and thus from what I've read so far I need to get a GC Titan Ridge card (alpine ridge cards seem to have been phased out) with a riser to make it work. But I'm kinda confused on how this would work with my setup, there's no extra power cables or extra pcie slots (or any slot for that matter) in the Razer Core X.

Could anyone explain to me if and how this would work with my core x?

Thanks!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

Problems: Solutions

No extra power cables: get some (external power supply)

No extra PCIe slots: get some (riser card, Thunderbolt 3 expansion box)

The PCIe slot does not need to be connected to the MBP for the GC-TITAN RIDGE to perform DisplayPort to Thunderbolt 3 conversion but you won't get the USB functions of the display (brightness control). Even if it the PCIe slot was connected to the MBP (i.e. a Thunderbolt 3 expansion box) you still wouldn't the USB functions without extra software to enable PCIe tunnelling of the GC-TITAN RIDGE.

The GC-TITAN RIDGE only requires power from the PCIe slot, you can ignore the two 6-pin PCIe power connectors.

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
dinosaysrawr
(@dinosaysrawr)

@joevt, thanks for the solution. So is my diagram correct?

Screen Shot 2020 05 26 at 5.08.08 AM

This post was modified 1 month ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

@dinosaysrawr, yes, but the power goes to the PCIe slot that powers the GC-TITAN RIDGE (maybe in your diagram add a box for the PCIe slot, and a box for the GPU in the Core X as the source of the DisplayPort signal). And it should say DisplayPort x2 (because it takes two DisplayPort signals for 5K).

If you want a chance for the MBP to control brightness of the LG 5K and use the speakers and camera and USB ports, then you'll need to put the GC-TITAN RIDGE in a Thunderbolt 3 PCIe expansion box like the Sonnet Echo Express SE I (Thunderbolt 3 edition) or OWC Mercury Helios 3S. You have to wait until someone makes the software to enable the GC-TITAN RIDGE in that configuration - but in the meantime it can at least be used to power the GC-TITAN RIDGE (for DisplayPort to Thunderbolt conversion and maybe USB 3.1 gen 2 with DisplayPort alt mode) instead of a cheap riser + power supply.

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member Moderator

I have a similar set up and have been down this route... I found using the add in card was unreliable even in an enclosure due to (I guess/think) something to do with tb3 initialisation. Some configs worked, others didn’t, same with which port to use. 
joevt- you’re a saint for answering all these similar questions, including every one I’ve asked about these add in cards, I think you need a special badge under your avatar along the lines of “add in card expert”, ha. 

If I’m not mistaken there may be another option here- if this is a recent purchase it should be second gen 5k which runs off usb c too, but at 4K. I’d take 4K over the hassles I’d add in cards. 

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote