Monitor Advice - 2k or 4k? Dell XPS 15 9500 TB3, RTX 3070, Razer Core X Chroma

Notifications
Clear all

Monitor Advice - 2k or 4k? Dell XPS 15 9500 TB3, RTX 3070, Razer Core X Chroma  

RSS

Don Bones
(@don-bones)

Expected Setup: 

Dell XPS 15 9500, 2020, 16gb RAM, 1 TB SSD

CPU: i7-10750H

dGPU: GTX 1650ti 4GB VRAM

eGPU: Razer Core X Chroma - RTX 3070

Monitor: ?????

Hello all, I was lucky enough to secure an RTX 3070, but will not be getting the above setup configured until a further date. Until then, I am trying to figure out what kind of monitor to get. I play all sorts of games with my Dell XPS 15 9500 with its 1650ti dGPU, including old classics, and modern demanding titles like Metro Exodus, Doom, 7 Days to Die, Overwatch etc., and can run them all at around 60 FPS med-high settings on a 1080p 60hz monitor.

With the addition of the RTX 3070 in this setup, I am deciding between a 2k 144hz Monitor (Dell 27" S2721DGF, G-Sync) or a 4k 60hz monitor (cheaper than 2k , no G-Sync). 

With only gaming in consideration here, I prefer RPG open world games, but play the occasional first person shooter. I am more interested in running future titles like Cyberpunk 2077, and Halo Infinite on ultra settings, but I am worried if I go the 4k route I will struggle to pull consistent frames due to the bottleneck and nature of these setups. Would it be more beneficial to just go the 2k route and sacrifice some pixels with the benefits being higher refresh rate, G-Sync and ability to run ultra settings more consistently, or will this setup be able to run ultra settings consistently on a 4k monitor with future titles like the above listed. 

Thank you for reading this long post. I appreciate any advice and would love to hear from people with this setup if possible. I wish you all luck in acquiring those parts you desire with todays demand and lack of supply. 

2020 15" Dell XPS 15 9500 (GTX1650Ti) [10th,6C,H] + RTX 3070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + Win10 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@don-bones, Have you considered an ultrawide QHD option? Higher output resolutions result in less eGPU performance loss. I have not been able to get any of the latest gen graphics cards, but if RTX 3070 is close to RTX 2080 Ti performance you can expect good 4K experience. Here's a short video of 4K @ 60Hz gameplay with a Samsung FrameTV (so no G-Sync) on a 2020 HP Spectre 15 + RTX 2080 Ti Gaming Box. All graphics settings were maxed on Witcher III.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 6700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (CM MasterCase EG200) + Win10 1903 [build link]  

Don Bones liked
ReplyQuote
Don Bones
(@don-bones)

@itsage, I appreciate the reply. I have not considered an ultrawide just because of the price (if I went 2k I'd definitely get G-sync and 144hz), but I do get why you recommend it because of the performance loss (or not taking full advantage of the 3070) of getting a normal 2k monitor. Those are awesome 4k results given the difficulty of the task, and it gives a lot of promise to 4k gaming with an eGPU. I guess I am stuck between a rock and a hard place with my question, given this card just came out and the games I am asking about aren't even out lol. My biggest fear is I go the 4k route, but am forced to play at less than 60 FPS on High/Ultra settings when trying to play future/modern high demanding games, which is making me lean more towards 2k. 

I will continue to do research and wait for results with my expected setup before I pull the trigger on a new monitor. I'll try to update here once I get everything setup in case others are curious. (Dec. 10th couldn't come sooner!)

2020 15" Dell XPS 15 9500 (GTX1650Ti) [10th,6C,H] + RTX 3070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@don-bones, You can set a lower resolution on a 4K monitor but not higher resolution on a 2K monitor. I personally prefer higher refresh rates over higher resolution. With eGPU performance in mind though, it makes things muddy because more than 100Hz is not easy to achieve consistently. Therefore I feel ultra wide with 100Hz panel is a sweet spot to use with an eGPU for both gaming and office use.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 6700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (CM MasterCase EG200) + Win10 1903 [build link]  

Don Bones liked
ReplyQuote