Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
Need Advice: 2060 super or 5700 xt for bootcamp

Need Advice: 2060 super or 5700 xt for bootcamp  

RSS

Jimmy
(@badtz)

Hello. Need a little advice here. Im planning to upgrade my Aorus Gaming Box 580. At the moment Mantiz Venus is on its way. Im considering getting either amd rx 5700xt or nvidia 2060 super. 

Price of the GPU here:

Red Devil 5700 XT : USD 516

Sapphire Nitro 5700 XT: USD 497

Gigabyte Aorus 2060 Super: USD 545

Asus Rog Strix 2070 Super: USD 709

Im using 2018 13 Macbook Pro. Obviously I prefer the 5700 XT for the price and performance. However it seems using nvidia in bootcamp is a lot less hassle (I assume) since Im gonna use the egpu mainly for gaming in bootcamp.

What do you think guys think?

MBP 2018 13" i5 512GB Touch Bar (MR9R2)
Aorus Gaming Box RX580

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

I often et tempted by the RTX cards due to bootcamp been slightly easier but you are own to be forever plying and unplugging things if you choose a card that doesn't work in macOS which would annoy the hell out of me.

One of my goals is simplicity and as few wires as possible, I'm about to sell my 5K Ultrafine because it annoys me having to plug two cables in when I dock my MacBook.

Would you be happy swapping the monitor over when you switch OS?

Would you be happy having a 500 USD item that only works in one OS?

If the Sapphire Nitro fits the Mantiz I'd buy that (I also have a Mantiz - which is the best eGPU IMO due to ports and internal SSD).

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
Phoenix2063
(@phoenix2063)
Eminent Member

I've got a Mantiz on order as well 🙂 I'm looking at the Gigabyte  AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT GAMING OC 8GB GDDR6. The benchmarks I've looked at put it slightly ahead of the red devil on temperatures, and lower operating volume as the fans don't kick up much, definitely worth a look.

Best 5700xt on the market is an MSI gaming X but it's a too wide for the Mantiz at 2.75 PCIE slot width where as the Mantiz fits maximum 2.5. 

This post was modified 3 weeks ago

Mantiz Venuz MZ-02
- Gigabyte AMD RX 5700 XT

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@badtz I’d recommend the RX 5700 XT. Like @eightarmedpet said, if you have a Mac it’s really hard to go with Nvidia now. Certain RTX cards cause a hang issue if you connect the eGPU prior to boot. Since you have a 2018 13″ MacBook Pro with Intel iGPU only, the setup process won’t be too bad. Stay with Win10 1903 version 18362.30 to .295. Use an EFI Boot Loader solution such as rEFInd or automate-eGPU EFI.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
Jimmy
(@badtz)

@eightarmedpet @itsage

Thank you for the advice. Now I can get the gpu without worries. Won’t the Nitro fit in Mantiz? The Nitro is 306 x 135 x 49 (mm) while the Red devil is 300 x 132 x 53 (mm). 

@Phoenix2063

I watched some benchmarking videos between the gpu. Gigabyte Gaming OC indeed performs a bit better than Powercolor and Sapphire but in terms of cooling those two perform better, but I might be wrong. Gigabyte price is about the same with Sapphire Nitro. 

MBP 2018 13" i5 512GB Touch Bar (MR9R2)
Aorus Gaming Box RX580

ReplyQuote
Phoenix2063
(@phoenix2063)
Eminent Member

@badtz

Benchmarks I've seen has the gigabyte sitting at 66 degrees and 42 decibels after an hour under load test. Thee sapphire nitro at 70 degrees 43 decibels and powercolour at 71 degrees 45 decibels. Noise levels are worth thinking about with a small eGPU enclosure compared to a PC.

Differences are marginal but worth considering, worth going for which ever you can get cheapest as all three are solid choices. 

Mantiz Venuz MZ-02
- Gigabyte AMD RX 5700 XT

ReplyQuote
iComicaLee
(@icomicalee)

I know this isn’t the appropriate place to post an issue(but I’d appreciate a link or feedback as to solve this issue at hand), but this is just something I’d like to share about my experience with the following specs below.

My specs atm:

- Macbook Pro Late 2016 15 inch (2.7GHz quad-core Intel Core i7)

- iGPU(Intel HD Graphics 530) dGPU(Radeon Pro 455) 

- eGPU(Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 XT Gaming OC) Enclosure(Razer Core X)

- Success in running an eGPU w/ Mac OS 10.15.1; No success in running an eGPU w/ BootCamp Win 10 Build:18382.30

My whole purpose of this setup was to run my eGPU on BootCamp windows. Although I have no issues running the RX 5700 XT with Mac, I failed to run this eGPU with BootCamp after trying numerous of methods from DSDT(to resolve code 12), BootCampDrivers(to resolve code 31), EFI(to resolve code 12), changing windows version, and disabling x16 PCIe Controller - 1901 and PCI Express x8 Controller – 1905(to resolve code 12). Most of the time in the midst of repeatedly preforming these solutions in some order, this external graphics card been appearing as ‘Microsoft Basic Display Adapter’(prior to deleting  drivers through a program in bootcampdrivers(Sept Update Macbook Pro)) or ‘Radeon 5700 XT’(prior to installing drivers) with code 12 or code 31. It’s been more than a day now trying to resolve this issue, I had no luck. Every system and setup is different and the issue and the way to resolve is of course different for anyone(you could have more success with me). 

I’m going to send an update and let you know if I have found a solution to this Code 12 and 31 error and manage to get this setup working on BootCamp since I downgraded my windows , but the experience right now is beyond a headache. I speculate it’s a driver issue or I’m probably just going to start resolving by changing the method order.

MBP 15" dGPU 455, eGPU 5700XT w/ Razer Core X enclosure

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@icomicalee Take a look at the step-by-step instruction in my very similar build [2016 15″ MacBook Pro + Mantiz Venus + RX 5700 XT]. The only difference is the DSDT.aml for the Radeon Pro 455 dGPU instead of RP 460 in mine.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote