Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
Need help with cable setup! (Mac mini 20...

Need help with cable setup! (Mac mini 2018, eGPU, 4k monitor)  

RSS

jpodcaster
(@jpodcaster)
Nov 17, 2018 11:35 pm  

Hi all,

I'm an eGPU newbie and need help with the cabling setup. I have the following:

The monitor has one USB-C input (currently connected to the Mini via a Thunderbolt 3 cable, sans eGPU), one Display Port (4k at 60) and 1 HDMI connector.

The Sonnet has one USB-C/T3 on the box and 3 Display Ports on the Vega 56 card.

So to maximize the speed and quality of my setup what cables go where? Sorry if that's a stupid question!!

Jools

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
Nov 18, 2018 3:13 am  

@jpodcaster Welcome aboard! The arrangement for best performance is to run the eGPU directly to your monitor.

Mac mini <-> Thunderbolt 3 cable <-> RX Vega 56 eGPU <-> DisplayPort cable <-> Asus MX27uc monitor

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

94 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
jpodcaster
(@jpodcaster)
Nov 18, 2018 3:25 am  

Thanks @theitsage ... I eventually figured it out and ran down to Best Buy to pick up a Display Port cable.

Plugged in the cables as you suggested above and it works like a charm! In Geekbench I get an OpenCL score of 140,227 compared to a little over 5,000 with the integrated Intel graphics.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
(@ralf_nobbe)
Nov 18, 2018 8:03 am  

Sorry to ask here.
Is the Display port better than HDMI ?

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

ReplyQuote
jpodcaster
(@jpodcaster)
Nov 18, 2018 8:39 am  

I think yes if you want to use multiple monitors. But both DisplayPort and the newer versions of HDMI support 60 fps at 4k as far as I know.

ReplyQuote
jpodcaster
(@jpodcaster)
Nov 18, 2018 8:40 am  
Posted by: Eightarmedpet

Pics please!

If I knew how to post pics I gladly would! I can't see an option for image upload in the WYSIWYG editor?

ReplyQuote
(@mainasuk)
Feb 19, 2019 4:00 pm  

I have encountered U2718Q 4K monitor frozen and no response issue when switch display input between PS4 HDMI output and eGPU DP output.
Turn off the monitor power is the only way to fix.

And monitor could not weak up when use DP cable sometimes.
Finally I bought one HDMI 2.0 5in-1out switcher. 

DP output has high display quality. But HDMI is more stable.
Choose the one that works best for you.

ReplyQuote
crewshin
(@crewshin)
May 10, 2019 1:28 am  
Posted by: MainasuK

I have encountered U2718Q 4K monitor frozen and no response issue when switch display input between PS4 HDMI output and eGPU DP output.
Turn off the monitor power is the only way to fix.

And monitor could not weak up when use DP cable sometimes.
Finally I bought one HDMI 2.0 5in-1out switcher. 

DP output has high display quality. But HDMI is more stable.
Choose the one that works best for you.

I have this same setup and issue. Have you found any more info about it? It drives me insane. HDMI colors are garbage but DP wont turn on sometimes. Maddening. 

I have two U2718Q's but my performance is complete garbage. Running off of a RX580 in a Razer Core X.

edit: Just found a decent post on reddit that it might be related to FileVault: https://www.reddit.com/r/macmini/comments/asqdle/2018_mac_mini_egpu_users_how_is_your_experience/egwa81m?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x

This post was modified 1 month ago

ReplyQuote