Overlooked power delivery on this build: 2016 Razer Blade Stealth + ADT-Link R43...

Notifications
Clear all

Overlooked power delivery on this build: 2016 Razer Blade Stealth + ADT-Link R43SG-TB3 + Dell DA-2 PSU + GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1660  

RSS

rdpixel
(@rdpixel)

To keep it short, I thought I would save money by using an ADT-Link R43SG-TB3 + Dell DA-2 PSU for my egpu, but I just assumed that my setup would charge my Razer Blade Stealth laptop while plugged into the only tb3 port. Turns out I was wrong (I'm pretty new at this) and now if I want to use my egpu, which seems to be working properly (I just set it up today and I haven't encountered any issues specifically related to the egpu), I have to forfeit charging my laptop.

A workaround this I thought might be to buy a thunderbolt 3 dock with two tb3 ports and take the performance hit. Is this the best solution? If so, what are some good recommendations for docks? If not, does anybody know a better way?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@rdpixel, I would recommend selling the ADT-Link R43SG-TB3 and get an enclosure with PD and expansion IO such as Mantiz Saturn Pro.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 15" HP Spectre X360 [11th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
rdpixel
(@rdpixel)

@itsage, thanks for the reply! I'm definitely considering selling it to a friend and going for the Mantiz or Akitio. But what do you think about using something like an HP Elite Thunderbolt 3 Dock or a Dell WD19TB? I saw a few relatively cheap ones on eBay.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@rdpixel, They work but it's a mess and eGPU should always be connected directly to the TB3 port rather than daisy-chained. 

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 15" HP Spectre X360 [11th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

rdpixel liked
ReplyQuote