Overlooked power delivery on this build: 2016 Razer Blade Stealth + ADT-Link R43...

Notifications
Clear all

Overlooked power delivery on this build: 2016 Razer Blade Stealth + ADT-Link R43SG-TB3 + Dell DA-2 PSU + GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1660  

RSS

rdpixel
(@rdpixel)

To keep it short, I thought I would save money by using an ADT-Link R43SG-TB3 + Dell DA-2 PSU for my egpu, but I just assumed that my setup would charge my Razer Blade Stealth laptop while plugged into the only tb3 port. Turns out I was wrong (I'm pretty new at this) and now if I want to use my egpu, which seems to be working properly (I just set it up today and I haven't encountered any issues specifically related to the egpu), I have to forfeit charging my laptop.

A workaround this I thought might be to buy a thunderbolt 3 dock with two tb3 ports and take the performance hit. Is this the best solution? If so, what are some good recommendations for docks? If not, does anybody know a better way?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@rdpixel, I would recommend selling the ADT-Link R43SG-TB3 and get an enclosure with PD and expansion IO such as Mantiz Saturn Pro.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2018 Mac Mini [8th,4C,B] + RX Vega 56 Nano @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Gigabyte Gaming Box) + macOS 12.0 & Win11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
rdpixel
(@rdpixel)

@itsage, thanks for the reply! I'm definitely considering selling it to a friend and going for the Mantiz or Akitio. But what do you think about using something like an HP Elite Thunderbolt 3 Dock or a Dell WD19TB? I saw a few relatively cheap ones on eBay.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@rdpixel, They work but it's a mess and eGPU should always be connected directly to the TB3 port rather than daisy-chained. 

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2018 Mac Mini [8th,4C,B] + RX Vega 56 Nano @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Gigabyte Gaming Box) + macOS 12.0 & Win11 [build link]  

rdpixel liked
ReplyQuote